• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

After work drink

I had a job interview today.

I really want this job. Top company, superb employer etc.

I had a 1 hour written test, which i know I did really well in.

Then came the interview. 3 to 1. Behaviour questions. I fudging hate them.
In my opinion, I fudged up. Weak answers, waffling. Full of brick.

So, I've cracked a bottle of Morgans spiced rum. Am now buzzing.

Who bloody cares?

I wouldn't write your chances off just yet mate.

Not everyone can articulate themselves as lucidly in an interview, as they will on paper. If the interviewers are worth any salt, they'll give solid weighting to your strong performance in the written test, and - at the very least - invite you back for a second interview.

I once had a post that needed filling; very technical, and required a very polished professional to do it well. Anyway, I whittled it down to three, but this one CV stood-out: fantastic background, track-record and prose. Easy early front-runner. So onto interviewing. My front-runner could barely string a sentence together, and it really threw me; the rest could charm the leaves off the trees, but none of them had the weight of credentials which the other guy had. So, decided to invite him back for a second interview: completely different, no nerves this time and I could sense the confidence in him. I offered him the job straight after.

Few weeks later he mentioned to me that he thought he had fudged it up big time in the first interview, went away really disappointed in himself and was surprised to hear I was still interested afterwards. But, because I was, that gave him confidence and he was determined to make amends. That's what I was hoping he'd do, so my judgement to not dismiss him as a candidate was fully vindicated.

Depends though I suppose really: I didn't have a three-way whip to worry about, just my own judgement on it. I've sat on interview panels before, and - to be honest - most have gone for the most polished 'performance', not necessarily the best person on paper. I personally think it's because some of the people I've interviewed alongside have been too lazy to actually read the candidates CV's; rather just ping generic questions at them, and see how they react.

Good luck anyway, just don't write things off yet. And even if this one doesn't come off, you know within your heart that it's going to be their loss - so don't lose confidence from it.

I wouldn't write your chances off just yet mate.

Not everyone can articulate themselves as lucidly in an interview, as they will on paper. If the interviewers are worth any salt, they'll give solid weighting to your strong performance in the written test, and - at the very least - invite you back for a second interview.

I once had a post that needed filling; very technical, and required a very polished professional to do it well. Anyway, I whittled it down to three, but this one CV stood-out: fantastic background, track-record and prose. Easy early front-runner. So onto interviewing. My front-runner could barely string a sentence together, and it really threw me; the rest could charm the leaves off the trees, but none of them had the weight of credentials which the other guy had. So, decided to invite him back for a second interview: completely different, no nerves this time and I could sense the confidence in him. I offered him the job straight after.

Few weeks later he mentioned to me that he thought he had fudged it up big time in the first interview, went away really disappointed in himself and was surprised to hear I was still interested afterwards. But, because I was, that gave him confidence and he was determined to make amends. That's what I was hoping he'd do, so my judgement to not dismiss him as a candidate was fully vindicated.

Depends though I suppose really: I didn't have a three-way whip to worry about, just my own judgement on it. I've sat on interview panels before, and - to be honest - most have gone for the most polished 'performance', not necessarily the best person on paper. I personally think it's because some of the people I've interviewed alongside have been too lazy to actually read the candidates CV's; rather just ping generic questions at them, and see how they react.

Good luck anyway, just don't write things off yet. And even if this one doesn't come off, you know within your heart that it's going to be their loss - so don't lose confidence from it.

Very inspiring post, Sheikh. Thanks.

I believe that I have been tipped the wink that indeed, things were not as bad as I first thought. ;)

Department manager. Operations controller. Tart from HR.

Behavioural questions........can you give me an example of a time when you have had to exert your opinion/influence in order to change a decision?
can you give us an example of a time when you have had to make pro-active decisions in order to influence an outcome.

brick like that.

All of that sort of brick can be coached and learned. Your best bet is to right down those questions, google for more examples and right down some bullet point answers to them and just learn them. You can then elebarorate if you need to. Let's hoep you don't need to and this one works out.

Back