• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Adrian Rabiot

You were sucking off Capoue and Paulinho 12 months ago mate, what happened?

1) Different manager, different system. Players that AVB needed for his system are different to Poch needs for his

2) The emergence of Bentaleb and Mason, who have been fantastic and pushed established players well down the pecking order

How often have rumours come out of Italy that we have "agreed a deal to sign x player" only for them to be false? Surely the Italian rumour mill has to be the least reliable around.

Also, haven't Arsenal been tracking this guy? Smells of BS/agents trying to force Arsenal or other CL clubs to stump up more cash to me...

We've been linked with Rabiot since summer 2013, iirc - before Arsenal.

1) Different manager, different system. Players that AVB needed for his system are different to Poch needs for his

2) The emergence of Bentaleb and Mason, who have been fantastic and pushed established players well down the pecking order

Can't you just admit that you had it wrong before and you've finally realised that Capoue is absolute dogsh!t and a complete fraud of a holding midfielder ?

Can't you just admit that you had it wrong before and you've finally realised that Capoue is absolute dogsh!t and a complete fraud of a holding midfielder ?

Neither of them clearly worked out as we hoped. Capoue still had a few impressive performances this season (Soton, Arsenal). I was also saying in the summer that I wanted us to keep Sandro and Holtby instead of them respectively

I think ultimately though both Paulinho and Capoue are 4-3-3 players, which AVB was aiming for but Poch is clearly not.

Neither of them clearly worked out as we hoped. Capoue still had a few impressive performances this season (Soton, Arsenal). I was also saying in the summer that I wanted us to keep Sandro and Holtby instead of them respectively

I think ultimately though both Paulinho and Capoue are 4-3-3 players, which AVB was aiming for but Poch is clearly not.

When you say 'impressive performances' you mean 'impressive performances for him' i.e. average performances where he wasn't absolutely dogsh!t. He is simply the worst holding midfield player I have seen in a Spurs shirt. The only holding midfield player I have ever seen who made the team even LESS defensively secure.

Paulinho I think actually still has a chance (although I'm not sure he'll get the patience from the fans at WHL now). He could probably play in the role that Mason plays (although he'll have to be prepared to be far stronger in the tackle than he was last season - the question is whether or not that was just him trying not to get injured before the World Cup). If we can get a reasonable fee for him though then we might as well cash in.

We're set to sign him on loan according to L'Equipe.

L’Equipe: Tottenham Close To PSG Deal

According to L’Equipe, Tottenham Hotspur are set to sign Paris Saint-Germain midfielder, Adrien Rabiot on loan after successful talks with the player’s representatives.

The 19 year-old had been a target for several premier league sides, including Spurs north London rivals, Arsenal but extended his contract this year, committing his future to the French club until at least 2019. The French midfielder has not received much playing time since doing so and may look to be loaned away from Paris to gain further experience.

Rabiot, though he is a very young player, is often deployed as the deepest lying midfielder at PSG. This central defensive role requires a great amount experience, strength and composure in order to have a significant impact on the game.

As he is only 19 years of age, the French midfielder does not possess vast experience of the game but everything he lacks, he makes up for in technical brilliance and physicality in the center of midfield.

If Tottenham successfully acquired the services of Adrien Rabiot and want to get the most out of the PSG midfielder, they must give him a free role as Rabiot has a keen eye for a defense splitting pass and is very comfortable on either foot, a trait that is highly desirable in modern football.

The French midfielder is a tenacious tackler and has a hunger to win the ball back whenever possible for his team.

http://threeandin.com/tottenham-set-to-land-adrien-rabiotnocache1/

We're set to sign him on loan according to L'Equipe.

http://threeandin.com/tottenham-set-to-land-adrien-rabiotnocache1/

I think this will be a perfect signing.

Another player in the Mason/Bentaleb/Stambouli mould, but someone who will provide competition/cover, rather than stamp out the ambitions of our two academy players.

It would possibly allow us to get rid of all 3 of Paulinho, Capoue and Dembele.

I would though be keen for there to be a cast iron option to buy in the summer.

Surely this would with an option to buy? What's the point in blooding another sides youngster when we have our own? I'd have thought an experienced head or someone like Morgan S (not even gonna bother trying to spell it :D) would make more sense?

Surely this would with an option to buy? What's the point in blooding another sides youngster when we have our own? I'd have thought an experienced head or someone like Morgan S (not even gonna bother trying to spell it :D) would make more sense?

Hypothetically: because Paulinho, Capoue and Dembele would be a good £150-200k+ off the wage bill, replaced by a negligible waged 19yo. Having the space in the squad/wage bill would also make us more agile come the summer e.g. if a Schneiderlin or Cabeye did suddenly become available.

A lot of system managers can be quite wary of experienced players - LvG for one. They like young players because they are more malleable.

If anything Poch is clearing out most of our experienced players, other than a loyal core of Lloris, Fazio, Verts, Lennon and Soldado.

With Mason at 23 and Stambouli at 24 we're not overly inexperienced at CM (Schneiderlin is 26). Both actually display quite strong leadership characteristics, as does Bentaleb.

Yeah, don't think we'll make a deal without an option to buy.

Schneiderlin or Cabaye would be the best options imo. Both PL proven, more experienced and currently a higher level. If we can't get one of those going for a younger player seeing as most signings will need time anyway makes some sense. A bit like I think we just decided on giving Bentaleb the chance as first choice this summer when we couldn't get Schneiderlin in.

Hypothetically: because Paulinho, Capoue and Dembele would be a good £150-200k+ off the wage bill, replaced by a negligible waged 19yo. Having the space in the squad/wage bill would also make us more agile come the summer e.g. if a Schneiderlin or Cabeye did suddenly become available.

A lot of system managers can be quite wary of experienced players - LvG for one. They like young players because they are more malleable.

If anything Poch is clearing out most of our experienced players, other than a loyal core of Lloris, Fazio, Verts, Lennon and Soldado.

With Mason at 23 and Stambouli at 24 we're not overly inexperienced at CM (Schneiderlin is 26). Both actually display quite strong leadership characteristics, as does Bentaleb.
I'm sure he'd get rid of Soldado as well if he could but it will prove almost impossible to find a team that would match his wages and pay a transfer fee of whatever his amortised value is.

If we do get Rabiot on loan this Jan, then I'm sure it will be with an option to buy in the summer, as I would've thought the player would require the time until the end of the season to adapt.

Bit baffled by this, if true. Why a loan? More importantly, where will he play? The adjustment period alone will probably stretch well past the point at which Bentaleb returns from the AFCON. So, what exactly will this signing accomplish, other than offering us another warm body for five months?

Hmmm.

I agree with you Dubai so far as to say that I too would prefer to see us get someone of real quality into the team than another youngster. Then again I'd say that the loan makes sense, like a try before you buy sample for both us and Rabiot. PSG seem to rate him but with a team of superstars they can't give him the time to develop, we need to find out if he really is what we need and whether or not he will be worth the investment. On the other hand Rabiot needs to see that he will have a chance with us, a club where he can not only develop, but also have a chance of commanding a first team spot. We need to show him that he has better prospects at a club where his hard work will pay off than at one of great status where the revolving door of international talent will keep him out. I doubt it's through a lack of trying that we haven't got him on a permanent deal, more likely he doesn't want to walk away from PSG without a good reason.

At the same time we can sell 2-3 of the midfielders we don't need, save a bit on the wage bill and if Rabiot doesn't work out/doesn't want to come here then we still have the space available for a new target come the summer.

The rumors were his contract was expiring and he agreed to sign a new deal with a clause stating ge could leave for X amount

I agree with you Dubai so far as to say that I too would prefer to see us get someone of real quality into the team than another youngster. Then again I'd say that the loan makes sense, like a try before you buy sample for both us and Rabiot. PSG seem to rate him but with a team of superstars they can't give him the time to develop, we need to find out if he really is what we need and whether or not he will be worth the investment. On the other hand Rabiot needs to see that he will have a chance with us, a club where he can not only develop, but also have a chance of commanding a first team spot. We need to show him that he has better prospects at a club where his hard work will pay off than at one of great status where the revolving door of international talent will keep him out. I doubt it's through a lack of trying that we haven't got him on a permanent deal, more likely he doesn't want to walk away from PSG without a good reason.

At the same time we can sell 2-3 of the midfielders we don't need, save a bit on the wage bill and if Rabiot doesn't work out/doesn't want to come here then we still have the space available for a new target come the summer

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. Although again, a quality midfielder (Schneiderlin mould) would do more for us right now than a untried youngster unused to the PL. A deep midfield five of Bentaleb, Mason, Carroll, a new midfielder and Stambouli would be a decent pool to choose from going forward into the short/medium-term future, with Mason able to cover further forward for Eriksen/ the AM spot as well. Depends on what Poch is actually looking for: a young team that he can mould or a mid-age, battle ready team which only needs a bit of training to become successful.

Last edited:
Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. Although again, a quality midfielder (Schneiderlin mould) would do more for us right now than a untried youngster unused to the PL. A deep midfield five of Bentaleb, Mason, Carroll, a new midfielder and Stambouli would be a decent pool to choose from going forward into the short/medium-term future, with Mason able to cover further forward for Eriksen/ the AM spot as well. Depends on what Poch is actually looking for: a young team that he can mould or a mid-age, battle ready team which only needs a bit of training to become successful.

If the choice was Schneiderlin or Rabiot (or someone like him) I struggle to think that anyone could make a convincing argument to sign Rabiot, and I really struggle to think that Poch wouldn't want Schneiderlin every time.

In reality I don't think that's the choice. If Schneiderlin is a target there might be another couple of players in his mould and quality with PL experience that can come straight in a do a job. If we can't get one of those players someone like Rabiot makes sense, and even if we can get the Schneiderlin mould player signing Rabiot might make a lot of sense.

Not having seen hardly anything of Rabiot bar a few (rather unimpressive) youtube vids, would it be fair to describe him as a box-to-box type?

I think the brain is right, it is not either or for Schneiderlin and Rabiot. I could easily see a couple of moves happening in the next window or two. Rabiot in Paulinho out (box-to-box?) and say Capoue out Schneiderlin in (holder?).

I have a feeling that Dembele might survive the cull due to his versatility and also that he is playing well below what he is capable of a lot of the time. His form of late has been decent enough IMO but not good enough to dislodge one of the starters, and rightly so.

Stambouli is a bit of a curate's egg to me. He has some good moments in each match but I am not convinced at all about his defensive capabilities, nor his mobility. I saw further evidence in the Burnley match that reinforced my earlier impressions of him. He's getting playing time now but at this stage he's nothing more than a squad filler for me. Early days though of course.

Not having seen hardly anything of Rabiot bar a few (rather unimpressive) youtube vids, would it be fair to describe him as a box-to-box type?

I think the brain is right, it is not either or for Schneiderlin and Rabiot. I could easily see a couple of moves happening in the next window or two. Rabiot in Paulinho out (box-to-box?) and say Capoue out Schneiderlin in (holder?).

I have a feeling that Dembele might survive the cull due to his versatility and also that he is playing well below what he is capable of a lot of the time. His form of late has been decent enough IMO but not good enough to dislodge one of the starters, and rightly so.

I bloody hope not, I was so happy when we signed him but for me has been a biggger let down the the expensive signings because I rated him so highly at Fulham.

Back