• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

ACN - Ade goes but Benny stays

Botswana, Niger, Burkina Faso, Ethiopia, Equatorial Guinea, Sierra Leone, Libya, Uganda, Liberia, Angola, Mozambique and Malawi

Do me a favour

they did produce

162058_179383862087870_2251930_n.jpeg

The African countries have too many spots at the WC. Probably to make sure the FIFA president get their votes. After the abysmal showing in 2010, combined with South American teams doing really well, you might think it would be reduced, but no.

The African countries have too many spots at the WC. Probably to make sure the FIFA president get their votes. After the abysmal showing in 2010, combined with South American teams doing really well, you might think it would be reduced, but no.

They have 5 teams in the top 40

Edit: and one of those is ranked 40th

Last edited:
FIFA rankings top 32 compared to WC spots:

Europe: 18 / 13
Africa: 4 / 5
South America: 6 / 4.5 + Hosts
CONCACAF: 2 / 3.5
Asia: 2 / 4.5
Oceania: 0 / 0.5

Do you know the average FIFA rankings for these countries?

How is playing lower / non-league standard football going to improve Africa's showing at the world cup?

Why does it bother you though? why do you feel the need to make such nasty comments?

If you don't think it matters then fine but quit with the uncalled for digs and comments.

actually, there are not many top African players at the top clubs in England. Yaya at City yes, Benny and Ade at Spurs, but apart from them.........

Why does it bother you though?

Because I find watching the same countries win the World Cup very tedious

Excluding the most recent world cup, only 5 teams have won it in the last 40 years

And only 1 other team has even made the final (Netherlands)

I would prefer better (more diverse) competition

Last edited:
Because I find watching the same countries win the World Cup very tedious

Excluding the most recent world cup, only 5 teams have won it

And only 1 other team has even made the final (Netherlands)

I would prefer better (more diverse) competition

8 winners (Argentina, Brazil, Uruguay, Spain, Italy, France, Germany, England)

4 losers (Netherlands, Sweden, Hungary, Czechoslovakia)

12 losing semi finalists (USA, Austria, Yugoslavia, Chile, Portugal, Soviet, Poland, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Turkey, South Korea)

That's quite a bit of diversity.

8 winners (Argentina, Brazil, Uruguay, Spain, Italy, France, Germany, England)

4 losers (Netherlands, Sweden, Hungary, Czechoslovakia)

12 losing semi finalists (USA, Austria, Yugoslavia, Chile, Portugal, Soviet, Poland, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Turkey, South Korea)

That's quite a bit of diversity.

Sorry I meant to say in the last 40 years

I'm not even sure if some of the countries you list exist any more:)

Sorry I meant to say in the last 40 years

I'm not even sure if some of the countries you list exist any more:)

5 winners over the course of 10 tournaments isn't bad i don't think - taking into account the length of a players career

unfortunately politics also had a big effect - you look at the like of Czecheslovakia and USSR and wonder how good they would have been if it hadn't been for what happened to those countries.

5 winners over the course of 10 tournaments isn't bad i don't think - taking into account the length of a players career

unfortunately politics also had a big effect - you look at the like of Czecheslovakia and USSR and wonder how good they would have been if it hadn't been for what happened to those countries.

Or Yugoslavia.

Take the cream of Croatia, Serbia, Montenegro, Bosnia, Slovenia and you'll have a squad of players as good as anywhere in Europe.

Or Yugoslavia.

Take the cream of Croatia, Serbia, Montenegro, Bosnia, Slovenia and you'll have a squad of players as good as anywhere in Europe.

.............................Handanovic......................
Ivanovic........Subotic..........Vidic........Kolarov
............Pjanic........Misimovic.....Modric...........
...............................Jovetic............................
....................Dzeko................Jelavic..............

the ANC has coincided with the rise of the African footballer globally. Good for the continent I guess, so no point dissing it, it will stay.

related news for us is that Saudi Sportswashing Machine will have ba and cisse as senegal have been disqualified for rioting. if anything those two strikers look like they are going to get a lot of goals for them and possibly challenging for top 4.

Everybody is missing the point

African football will not improve with regular ACNs

Quite the opposite. African players should spend more time with European clubs

This will ultimately produce stronger national teams

Playing a tin pot tournament will not increase their WC allocation

Its more likely to maintain the status quo

No mate, you're missing the point.
The African continent and it's people deserve a chance to enjoy an international football tournament.

The ANC is about a bit more than that. And like it or not, the tournament drums up sponsorship money, some of that money goes into academies, those academies can give more kids a place to hohn raw skills and then more clubs can enjoy the fruits of those academies.

Frankly, given the way FIFA arse about, the World Cup will be the tin-pot tournament.

I think your thinking is pretty parochial, politely speaking...

true.....has anyone ever explained why the ACN is now every 2 years. Crazy

They've nearly always held it every two years (a couple of three year gaps and a couple of one year gaps). Its also older than the UEFA tournament so tradition is the answer.

However, if the clubs are forced to release players by FIFA rule, they need to harmonize the calendar, either by moving the ACN or making an international break for all.

My solution is to revamp the international calendar. I hate the stop start nature and find the sporadic international uninteresting, but enjoy the tournaments. And the international games at the beginning of the season are annoying.

Instead of many short breaks we should have two or three international blocks a year. The World Cup/Euro time would be one of them, the ANC winter schedule could be another and say the a third at the beginning of the season. In each block you could play a friendly and 3-4 qualifying games over three weeks (Thurs, Mon, Fri, Tues, Sat). That would give five blocks for each tournament played by European clubs (two autumn, two winter and one summer block in tournament off-seasons), leaving room for a few byes.

That way the qualifying could be organised as mini-tournaments and the club season wouldn't be repeatedly disrupted, while the ACN could continue in its traditional spot.

They've nearly always held it every two years (a couple of three year gaps and a couple of one year gaps). Its also older than the UEFA tournament so tradition is the answer.

However, if the clubs are forced to release players by FIFA rule, they need to harmonize the calendar, either by moving the ACN or making an international break for all.

My solution is to revamp the international calendar. I hate the stop start nature and find the sporadic international uninteresting, but enjoy the tournaments. And the international games at the beginning of the season are annoying.

Instead of many short breaks we should have two or three international blocks a year. The World Cup/Euro time would be one of them, the ANC winter schedule could be another and say the a third at the beginning of the season. In each block you could play a friendly and 3-4 qualifying games over three weeks (Thurs, Mon, Fri, Tues, Sat). That would give five blocks for each tournament played by European clubs (two autumn, two winter and one summer block in tournament off-seasons), leaving room for a few byes.

That way the qualifying could be organised as mini-tournaments and the club season wouldn't be repeatedly disrupted, while the ACN could continue in its traditional spot.

I'd favour a month/six weeks at the end of the season for internationals. It would give international coaches time to work with the players and would not interfere with the domestic calendar. It would be a bugger if a player was injured during this period but thems the breaks.

I'd favour a month/six weeks at the end of the season for internationals. It would give international coaches time to work with the players and would not interfere with the domestic calendar. It would be a bugger if a player was injured during this period but thems the breaks.

When does the african season end though?

(Actual question)

Back