• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Accents

NewYorkSpurs

Steven Caulker
First off, let me just say that I am not trying to start anything with this thread! I am truly curious, and since there has been a recent slew of American/English threads, I thought it was appropriate.

My question is, are there any American accents that sound intelligent to Brits? There are certain English accents that just sound inherently intelligent to Americans (regardless of what is said, it just sounds lovely), while there are others that just always sound dumb (i.e. Harry, anyone who says "FUUUUHHHKINNNN ELLLL").

First off, let me just say that I am not trying to start anything with this thread! I am truly curious, and since there has been a recent slew of American/English threads, I thought it was appropriate.

My question is, are there any American accents that sound intelligent to Brits? There are certain English accents that just sound inherently intelligent to Americans (regardless of what is said, it just sounds lovely), while there are others that just always sound dumb (i.e. Harry, anyone who says "FUUUUHHHKINNNN ELLLL").

No

I hate hip-hop inspired accents and any races attempting to do them in order to sounds urban or cool. taco qunts

I like this accent:

columbo.jpg

That really 'vowelly' Harvard accent tends to sound intelligent - it's quite similar to our top universities in that those who attend seem to pick up an accent peculiar to the school. I suspect it's more to do with the association to the schools over the years than anything else.

I have to admit though, anything west of Chicago or south of DC sounds pretty dumb.

That really 'vowelly' Harvard accent tends to sound intelligent - it's quite similar to our top universities in that those who attend seem to pick up an accent peculiar to the school. I suspect it's more to do with the association to the schools over the years than anything else.

I have to admit though, anything west of Chicago or south of DC sounds pretty dumb.

The Boston accent can be one of the biggest turn-offs. That chick from The Depahted, the psychiatrist... it wouldn't stop me from hitting it, but I wouldn't pahk my cah for too long if she actually had that thick Boston accent.

I don't know what accent Kelsey Grammer has, but he sounds pretty damn intelligent in Frasier, and not just because his character is a Harvard graduate. The tone and timbre of his voice is excellent, but I don't know what area/State his accent typifies.

Last edited:
Ever so often I find Canadian girls with a sexy accent. But maybe it's more with how they speak rather than the accent.

My Australian one does pretty well for me over here though \o/

I don't know what accent Kelsey Grammer has, but he sounds pretty damn intelligent in Frasier, and not just because his character is a Harvard graduate. The tone and timbre of his voice is excellent, but I don't know what area/State his accent typifies.

Funny you said that, I was thinking about him as well.

Not really. I work with a lot of extremely bright Americans and none of them sound (to me) anywhere near as intelligent as they clearly are.

That's not to say that I dislike all American accents, it's just that I don't immediately associate them with intelligence.

Same goes for Brummies. I can never take someone with a Brummie accent seriously, so it usually comes as a surprise if I find that they actually talk sense.

There is a clear Irish influence in the Boston accent. It's one of the few clearly distinguishable accents to the British ear.

I think the generic coastal American accent sounds fine to our ear, not stupid anyway.

Southern accents are associated with being a hick though.

[video=youtube;vskHXtPuvBk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vskHXtPuvBk[/video]

Here is an example of a proper (almost parody) London accent........

Brad Freidel almost sounds British now, so he sounds pretty intelligent, although somewhat confusing.

I remember I went to North Carolina last year, and I felt like the most intelligent sophisticated posh git around. And I talk like an idiot.

Not really tbh. I mean at a stretch maybe Boston accents as they're just so different but wouldn't say they sound 'smart'.

Back