• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

A solution to our rught-side balance issue with Lennon out?

Charlie is a very good defender, but I also think Walker is slaughtered for errors, and his defensive attributes well over looked. But then again, its been said that we only have 2 good defenders and everyone else is winging it (despite being 3rd).

So some things that are said are clearly kneejerk/spacegoating

Charlie is a very good defender, but I also think Walker is slaughtered for errors, and his defensive attributes well over looked. But then again, its been said that we only have 2 good defenders and everyone else is winging it (despite being 3rd).

So some things that are said are clearly kneejerk/spacegoating

Walker is still learning the defensive side. He is excellent going forward, but were just going to have to accept that he's going to have days where he gets roasted for the next couple of season until he improves.

Never understood this. He's still a better defender than Walker right now.

He most certainly isn't

Else he would have been starting instead of making Alan fcuking Hutton a starter not so long ago. I'm not sure why his supporters continously choose to ingnore this single, most important point

For all the stick Arry gets - he almost always plays his best 11 so if Corluka didn't even make the bench for 3 months (much like Gio, Bentley, Khumalo, etc.) there must have been quite a good reason for that.

Last edited:
He most certainly isn't

Else he would have been starting instead of making Alan fcuking Hutton a starter not so long ago. I'm not sure why his supporters continously choose to ingnore this single, most important point

For all the stick Arry gets - he almost always plays his best 11 so if Corluka didn't even make the bench for 3 months (much like Gio, Bentley, Khumalo, etc.) there must have been quite a good reason for that.

Corluka was ahead of Hutton most of his Spurs carreer. There was a 3 month period where he struggled with an injury and a loss of form where Hutton moved ahead of him and did alright in a couple of games and kept his place. Corluka later won his place back and last summer I'm sure Harry could have chosen to sell either Hutton or Corluka and Hutton was shipped out.

Also, the quote was that Corluka is a better defender, not a better player. Corluka might be a better defender, without being the better/more valuable player all around to Harry. There might also be a case where Harry thinks that Walker has a ton of potential, so much that letting him play despite not being quite as good as Corluka would be better for the club.

I agree fully with Jurgen, Corluka is better at defending than Walker. But Walker has improved a lot already this season, getting a lot of games hasn't hurt him at all, and will hopefully be catching up sooner rather than later.

Hutton was a starter for much longer than 3 months.

What exactly perpetuates this common myth of Walker not being able to 'defend' - I've seen him countless times making jaw-dropping recoveries, intereceptions at pace, clever blocks, etc. People alway go off how his 'athleticism gets him out of trouble' and that is the single most baffling comment similar to stating Messi's amazing ball control makes him a great player. No brick. Walker is faster, stronger, aerially superior, far more dangerous going forward and younger than little Charlie who only edges him on delivery and nothing more. And not for long judging by the improvement seen in Walker after 8 months with the senior team.

The sooner this Corluka world-class underrated RB myth is questioned on a rational level - the sooner people will begin to appreciate Walker's true qualities. Corluka isn't coming back because he isn't good enough for a team of our current quality. Much like Palacios did a job back then and was subsequently overtaken both in terms of ability and potential. Let's move on once and for all.
Arry wouldn't have dropped him otherwise.

Hutton was a starter for much longer than 3 months.

What exactly perpetuates this common myth of Walker not being able to 'defend' - I've seen him countless times making jaw-dropping recoveries, intereceptions at pace, clever blocks, etc. People alway go off how his 'athleticism gets him out of trouble' and that is the single most baffling comment similar to stating Messi's amazing ball control makes him a great player. No brick. Walker is faster, stronger, aerially superior, far more dangerous going forward and younger than little Charlie who only edges him on delivery and nothing more. And not for long judging by the improvement seen in Walker after 8 months with the senior team.

The sooner this Corluka world-class underrated RB myth is questioned on a rational level - the sooner people will begin to appreciate Walker's true qualities. Corluka isn't coming back because he isn't good enough for a team of our current quality. Much like Palacios did a job back then and was subsequently overtaken both in terms of ability and potential. Let's move on once and for all.
Arry wouldn't have dropped him otherwise.

I don't think anyone has said that Corluka is a world-class right back. And I don't think what people think about Corluka keeps them from appreciating Walker. It doesn't for me at least.

Walker makes mistakes. Marking, positioning, covering for runs. But, he's making fewer mistakes and they are smaller than they were earlier in the season. If you don't see that Walker has been making fairly frequent mistakes this season I don't think we have much to discuss. When people say that his athleticism gets him out of trouble what they are saying is that he got himself into trouble, and the concern is that while his athleticism will sometimes get him out of it, it won't always.

Even if we remove all the subjective fan opinions out of the debate - why do you think he was dropped by management first in favour of Hutton (shocker) and subsequently Walker?

Even if we remove all the subjective fan opinions out of the debate - why do you think he was dropped by management first in favour of Hutton (shocker) and subsequently Walker?

Personally I think it is merely a pace issue. Redknapp knows pace is a very important attribute in the Premier league. I think it is only the real area that Walker trumps Charlie. But it is important to us and our style of play.

He was dropped for Hutton because of an injury and a drop in form. There were reports suggesting that his drop in form was because he was playing with an injury and that might be part of the cause for his drop in form, but not very important. Hutton then did alright(ish) and kept his place, but Corluka eventually won his place back.

I think he was dropped for Walker as Harry sees him as a bright star for the future and Harry wanted to give Walker a chance. Walker did well despite a few slip-ups and kept his place.

I think quite a few of our player selections are like that Kaboul/Dawson, Walker/Corluka, Parker/Sandro. Close between two players, if one is playing well he won't be dropped and Harry will keep a stable team eventually giving the other player a chance to get into the team if there is an injury and then up to him to make himself undroppable through performing on the pitch.

Back