• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

A premier league title at any cost?

Well Chelsea have hardly had to rebuild but it's looking like it's their title once again this year.

Finishing mid-table the season after winning the PL might indeed mean losing one or two key players to the likes of Barca or RM but regrettable though that would be it need not also mean wholesale rebuilding.

Such a decline might be down to a raft of other factors, eg a combination of long-term injuries and/or loss of form to key players or simply the collective backwash on a squad that needs a bit of time to regroup and rediscover the desire.

Overall I'd argue it would be quite a small price to pay for landing such a coveted trophy.

I don't think the two previous winners are good yardsticks, both had outlier following seasons. The PL has had a couple of seasons of flux, before that there was very little movement in the top 4, I don't think the strain of fighting for the title means a large drop off is inevitable.

I think they have.
The players have clearly dropped off considerably now they are on their new mega contracts and they are content for life with their medals.

I think that most of them have just gone back to their performance levels of previous seasons.

We had a lengthy discussion about this and reverting to mean last season when a handful of us were saying that it was likely that this very thing would happen.

I don't think the two previous winners are good yardsticks, both had outlier following seasons. The PL has had a couple of seasons of flux, before that there was very little movement in the top 4, I don't think the strain of fighting for the title means a large drop off is inevitable.
Agreed but the hypothetical question was along the lines of would you accept a lower than mid-table finish or even relegation the following season if that's what winning the title meant.

Not a worry for us .. if you look at our last 7-10 seasons, we have been more consistent that at any time in modern history of the club.

Leicester as other said, had a fluke run and purple patch for multiple players on the right season where other sides underperformed, all wrapped up into one.
This year, the rub isn't going their way, they themselves have forgotten that they are nothing but a mediocre team who's every success was dependent on every player giving their all. The lack of application, improvement in league and normalizing of luck has pushed them down, and the lower position after the high of last year has drained confidence ... they are in a death spiral right now.

Getting relegated is no big deal.

No English club has a permanent right to forever dine at the top table.None of our clubs have a state prerogative.

Personally I love seeing these ancient forgotten footie dynasties coming back to life, Huddersfield, Preston, Sheffield Wednesday etc etc.

Any current premier league club could become tomorrow's Nottingham Forest or Villa. European champions only a generation ago.

And given yet more time back they will come.

Getting relegated is no big deal.

... tomorrow's Nottingham Forest or Villa. European champions only a generation ago.

And given yet more time back they will come.

It's like poking a turd with a stick, trying to poke it round the u-bend once and for all, but they keep bobbing back up towards the surface.

Someone told me Leeds have a chance of coming back into the Premier League. I do hope not, their profligate spending kept Spurs out of the top few places for a decade or more; phuckers.

I refuse to follow the teams 21st to 40th or however many teams they have in that "league".

Leicester's problem is that they didnt buy well in central defence. Huth/Morgan are on their last legs. The backup Marek is 36 yrs old. It is an aging CD!

Not a worry for us .. if you look at our last 7-10 seasons, we have been more consistent that at any time in modern history of the club.

Leicester as other said, had a fluke run and purple patch for multiple players on the right season where other sides underperformed, all wrapped up into one.
This year, the rub isn't going their way, they themselves have forgotten that they are nothing but a mediocre team who's every success was dependent on every player giving their all. The lack of application, improvement in league and normalizing of luck has pushed them down, and the lower position after the high of last year has drained confidence ... they are in a death spiral right now.

Isn't it better to accept our situation of the last decade and keep the consistency rather than the one season of glory

A club not rigged for the success would perhaps falter under the pressure, as Leicester does this season, and Portsmouth did after winning the cup.

But look at other teams winning their first title for some years; Chelsea went on to win back-to-back titles in 04/05 and 05/06. That was not only due to "The Special One", but also due to the groundwork done by The Tinkerman and his predecessors. Ie, the club had established itself on a higher level before winning. They were rooted to mid-table and below during the entire first two thirds of the nineties, untill they started their journey in 96/97, I think.

Same goes to a certain extent to Emirates Marketing Project. It is easy to argue that they bought the title, but it is more accurate to claim that they broke the glass ceiling with a huge wad of cash, and then paid to have it sealed underneath themselves again.

Leicester broke it by throwing a fluke brick from the basement, and consequently fell back down throught the gaping hole while laughing themselves silly.

We're on the other hand going to break it by sheer magic, of course. :)

One word : Leeds

Semi finals of the champions league and then ....
Risdale and renting goldfish and no-one under 30 would remember them being a PL side.

Its a slippery slope

A close friend of mine is die hard Leeds, didn't miss a game for something like 22 years. Although he hates Risdale he said those years where Leeds were brilliant was fantastic and he wouldn't swap it for anything!

A Pompey friend of mine says the same about their FA cup win and the ac milan game.

I think you have to win trophies personally, no-one looks back at league placings unless it's 1st. It's a tough call to accept relegation for a title, but I'd probably edge towards that.

One things for sure is that in the last 5 years we've had fantastic sides and not won a thing, that MUST change.

A Pompey friend of mine says the same about their FA cup win and the ac milan game.

I think you have to win trophies personally, no-one looks back at league placings unless it's 1st. It's a tough call to accept relegation for a title, but I'd probably edge towards that.

One things for sure is that in the last 5 years we've had fantastic sides and not won a thing, that MUST change.

Definitely need to win something it's been a while. But although we haven't won the title I think best the best thing is visibility and by that regularly getting top 4, attracting good players. Rather than a single title and off to the wilderness for a few seasons

Back