• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

A game of 2 halfs

ffs "HALVES"

That's what it's been so far this season and tbh that's exactly what i expected (and stated after the first game vs Saudi Sportswashing Machine). One thing i will say is that it isn't necessarily a bad thing away from home...no scrap that...it's a v.good thing away from home but at the lane we are going to be experiencing a lot of frustrating games if we carry this on.

It's plain and simply the AVB closing down tactic that AVB has adopted. 90 minutes of closing down can not be sustained but away from home it's going very well as we're finishing off the chances we are creating. It's very rare for an away team to control one whole half yet we've managed to do it in every away game so far.

At the lane i will again say it's not going to work. We have to give up possesion by backing off the opposition and allow them to feel comfortable. It's so easy to defend against a team that keep pressing..well not easy but easier. The second half vs QPR AVB 100% told the players to drop off imo and it worked, this is what we have to do but away from home i'm very happy for this to continue.

ffs "HALVES"

That's what it's been so far this season and tbh that's exactly what i expected (and stated after the first game vs Saudi Sportswashing Machine). One thing i will say is that it isn't necessarily a bad thing away from home...no scrap that...it's a v.good thing away from home but at the lane we are going to be experiencing a lot of frustrating games if we carry this on.

It's plain and simply the AVB closing down tactic that AVB has adopted. 90 minutes of closing down can not be sustained but away from home it's going very well as we're finishing off the chances we are creating. It's very rare for an away team to control one whole half yet we've managed to do it in every away game so far.

At the lane i will again say it's not going to work. We have to give up possesion by backing off the opposition and allow them to feel comfortable. It's so easy to defend against a team that keep pressing..well not easy but easier. The second half vs QPR AVB 100% told the players to drop off imo and it worked, this is what we have to do but away from home i'm very happy for this to continue.

I have said this all along - away from home the tactics work and is a successful one.

At home? well they dont work either as effectively or at all. We look stronger away from home actually im more confident away from home. At home we really need a new way of playing.

Also this whole 45 minute business - AVB needs to sort it out.

ffs "HALVES"
It's plain and simply the AVB closing down tactic that AVB has adopted. 90 minutes of closing down can not be sustained .

I'd say tha argument held weight if it was always the second half we were brick in, but often it's the first. Can't be because we're tiring.

Mate after the Saudi Sportswashing Machine game i said and continuously said that we're going to have great success away from home and also defoe will have great success away but at the lane it's not going to work. That's exactly how it's turned out but tbh i'm not that worried. Our home set up needs minor tweaking imo.

Mate after the Saudi Sportswashing Machine game i said and continuously said that we're going to have great success away from home and also defoe will have great success away but at the lane it's not going to work. That's exactly how it's turned out but tbh i'm not that worried. Our home set up needs minor tweaking imo.

Personally I think it's a mental/intelligence thing.

There's nothing wrong with keeping possession and pressing when the opposition have it, we just have to be more clever in how we play it around. Don't pass for the sake of passing, but pass and move to get the ball past a bank of midfielders/defenders.

Everyone here is so obsessed with out performance and our tactics etc that everyone fails to see Southampton made a sub changed to 433 and started dominating our 4411.
More a game of 2 Southampton formations than a game of two halves.

We are pretty brick at keeping possession when the other team puts pressure on us and all our attacking play consists of getting it to our wingers, who in turn have very little options in front of goal. Our performances depend so much on what the other team are doing IMO.

I think taking off Defow for Sigurdsson was a mistake.

I think not having Dembele fit contributed to us not having verve when attacking in the second half.

I think Naughton should play ahead of Walker. Walker is well off form at the moment, either that or he's not as good as I thought.

I think taking off Defow for Sigurdsson was a mistake.

I think not having Dembele fit contributed to us not having verve when attacking in the second half.

I think Naughton should play ahead of Walker. Walker is well off form at the moment, either that or he's not as good as I thought.

I don't see why we settled down a bit after that.

It's a mental issue imo, far from uncommon and probably to some extent suffered by all clubs however we have had problems for years.

We just didn't come out in the 2nd half with the kind of desire and determination that you need against all PL opposition. At other times it's been in the first half, but it's almost always against smaller teams and it seems to creep in very often when we get the lead. Just complacency and to some extent a lack of professionalism.

It's a mental issue imo, far from uncommon and probably to some extent suffered by all clubs however we have had problems for years.

We just didn't come out in the 2nd half with the kind of desire and determination that you need against all PL opposition. At other times it's been in the first half, but it's almost always against smaller teams and it seems to creep in very often when we get the lead. Just complacency and to some extent a lack of professionalism.

It happened against Chelscum (except it was first half). Happened against Manure second half (although I think tactics went out the window in that second half haha). i dont think its mental I do think its tactics. When we are positive we look good when we are negative we look terrible like the players dont know what to do.

I don't see why we settled down a bit after that.

Defoe was causing danger still, one example is where he beat 4 Southampton defenders and put a cross in. I think he was an outlet and Dempsey isn't really a striker, he didn't do much in the second half.

Bale was almost invisible most of the second half too.

We always seem to have to go through this phase in every game where nobody can pass the fecking ball 5 yards without losing possession, no-one can control a simple ball to feet and no-one is capable of holding it for 5 seconds without getting robbed. It's as if there are little triangles of incompetence all over the midfield.

It happened against Chelscum (except it was first half). Happened against Manure second half (although I think tactics went out the window in that second half haha). i dont think its mental I do think its tactics. When we are positive we look good when we are negative we look terrible like the players dont know what to do.

I might be venturing into some circular reasoning here, but even though we were outplayed at times against Chelsea and Manu those are some two very good sides. It's to be expected that we struggle in periods against those teams and I didn't think there was a problem with our attitude. I really didn't think our effort could be questioned actually, in some games against the smaller sides I think it can though. The way we came out for the 2nd half today it looked like we just wanted to pass the ball around aimlessly for 45 minutes while standing on our heels while waiting for the game to end and our 3 points to be in the bag.

No team can maintain the same level of intensity and sharpness in all games as they have in the biggest games, it's about making the drop off as small as possible when facing smaller teams. We're not very good at it in my opinion.

We were lucky not to drop points today, if that happens in future in one of those games we WILL drop points. We can't afford to drop points in our pursuit for top 4, even less so if those mistakes are avoidable.

We were lucky not to drop points today, if that happens in future in one of those games we WILL drop points. We can't afford to drop points in our pursuit for top 4, even less so if those mistakes are avoidable.

Surely if we didn't drop points we'd be in first not pursuing top 4? Jus' sayin'..

Back