• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

3rd Place or FA Cup?

3rd Place or FA Cup

• Finishing in 3rd Place

Votes: 32 36.8%
  • Winning the FA Cup

Votes: 55 63.2%

• Total voters
1901, 1921, 1961, 1962, 1967, 1981, 1982, 1991... don't worry, the FA Cup fudging MATTERS!

And there is also the added fact that if we do not finish 3rd it will be because we were pipped by the Goons. THis season of all seasons it would just be heartbreaking for them to overtake us in the final stretch after being above them for so much of the season. I also think if they finish above us after they have been so poor in comparison to us for so long it will scar both players and fans alike.

1901, 1921, 1961, 1962, 1967, 1981, 1982, 1991... don't worry, the FA Cup fudging MATTERS!

It is not that the Cup is not important but rather to top players they would rather play CL league football and I agree

We will play CL football if we win the cup and finish 4th.

My main concern is that we have got to a stage in the season where the only way to finish below third would be by a massive capitulation. There are no good ways to blow a 10pt lead between Feb-May.

A cup would only soften the blow a little, but nothing would be worth the sh#t we'd put with from the gooners. Just sit and think what it will be like if they catch, and overtake us. Next season we will be seen as pushovers, and winning the FA Cup will not put fear into one single team.

Finishing as Londons top club sends out a huge message to other clubs, other players, and our own players, as well as not having to qualify fro the CL.

No brainer for me.

We will play CL football if we win the cup and finish 4th.

No guarantees. The only guarantee is that we will play a 2 leg qualifier right at the end of the summer window, just as the season starts.

Finishing 3rd, however, means we have all summer to negotiate transfers as a CL team. Will have opportunity to set up and settle the squad before a ball is kicked.

My main concern is that we have got to a stage in the season where the only way to finish below third would be by a massive capitulation. There are no good ways to blow a 10pt lead between Feb-May.

A cup would only soften the blow a little, but nothing would be worth the sh#t we'd put with from the gooners. Just sit and think what it will be like if they catch, and overtake us. Next season we will be seen as pushovers, and winning the FA Cup will not put fear into one single team.

Finishing as Londons top club sends out a huge message to other clubs, other players, and our own players, as well as not having to qualify fro the CL.

No brainer for me.

Ditto

No brainer for me.

I could live with finishing 4th if we won the cup. Would be a bigger prize than 3rd for me.

I think there's also a danger of overestimating the psychological impact (on Spurs or Arsenal) of finishing 4th rather than 3rd. Ultimately, what happens next season will depend on many other, much more critical factors, IMO.

No guarantees. The only guarantee is that we will play a 2 leg qualifier right at the end of the summer window, just as the season starts.

Finishing 3rd, however, means we have all summer to negotiate transfers as a CL team. Will have opportunity to set up and settle the squad before a ball is kicked.

No guarantees that we will ever get another chance to win a major trophy either.

I expect us to finish at least 6 points clear of 4th place. Arsenal just won't keep this form up.
There is no reason why we can't win the FA cup at well.

Indeed, but with regular CL participation and access to the €€€ and Players it offers the chances of building a trophy winning side are greatly improved...

It's always about tomorrow...

I want to win a trophy THIS SEASON. Anything could happen next season. All the steady improvements we've been making could turn to brick if Arsenal and Chelsea up their game, or if our replacement for Redknapp doesn't work out. And we'll have nothing (that matters) to show for it.

If we win the cup, that honour can never be taken from us.

we need to win things when we get the chance. talking about building for tomorrow is nonsense. it's all about the here and now

we'll just turn into arsenal if all we ever want is to be pointlessly in the CL all the time.

what's the point being one of the top 4 clubs in the country if it doesn't make it easier to win things ?

Back