• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

2016 - you bastard

Last Year's Man is one of my absolute favourite songs.

I saw him on his 2013 tour and he was fantastic. He did a very lively 3 hour + show, which for a then 79 year old, was incredibly impressive.

Last Year's Man is one of my absolute favourite songs.

I saw him on his 2013 tour and he was fantastic. He did a very lively 3 hour + show, which for a then 79 year old, was incredibly impressive.

Ditto - saw him then too, the show lasted almost four hours, if my memory serves me right. Such a lovely old man on stage. Brilliant concert.

Ditto - saw him then too, the show lasted almost four hours, if my memory serves me right. Such a lovely old man on stage. Brilliant concert.

Which one did you go to? I went down to Bournemouth to see him.

I learnt my lesson with Arthur Lee (his 2004 date in my city wasn't convenient and he died a year or so later) that when opportunities like that arise, you can't miss them.

The Dublin cd is a really good recording from that tour, if you've not heard it

I am absolutely gutted by this news, the greatest songwriter of all time has gone. He has been a hero of mine since " Songs of Love and hate" album. I listen to him every day. RIP.

Which one did you go to? I went down to Bournemouth to see him.

I learnt my lesson with Arthur Lee (his 2004 date in my city wasn't convenient and he died a year or so later) that when opportunities like that arise, you can't miss them.

The Dublin cd is a really good recording from that tour, if you've not heard it
Bergen, Norway. It was august 2012, actually. Really happy I went - it's a 50 min flight away from where I live too, so it wasn't an obvious concert to go to.

I've tried to make it a habit to go to the concerts of aging artists I like when I can, so I don't find myself regretting it when it's too late. Managed to catch both Dio, Motorhead and Gary Moore in recent years, before they passed.

Edit: Haven't heard the Dublin show, but I'll certainly have a listen to that.

Thanks for posting. Recording set.

It feels like the year that started off with sadness (for me) with Bowie dying, is ending the same way (and hopefully this is the end of the bad news for 2016).
I wonder if there is any other songwriter/musician whose music is so apt to listen to, in terms of mood, after their death.
Cohen is an acquired taste for many, but a taste I am so glad I acquired.

Thanks for posting. Recording set.

It feels like the year that started off with sadness (for me) with Bowie dying, is ending the same way (and hopefully this is the end of the bad news for 2016).
I wonder if there is any other songwriter/musician whose music is so apt to listen to, in terms of mood, after their death.

Agreed. It's been a brick year for great people going, or maybe we are just getting old and the people that mean a lot to us are moving on.

Anyway. 2016 you owe us. If you do not finish off one of either Piers Morgan, Farage, Bono or Sting by the end of the year, I will lose all faith in humanity.

Agreed. It's been a brick year for great people going, or maybe we are just getting old and the people that mean a lot to us are moving on.

Anyway. 2016 you owe us. If you do not finish off one of either Piers Morgan, Farage, Bono or Sting by the end of the year, I will lose all faith in humanity.

Not one to wish anyone dead. To your list :
Sting - so inconsequential I dont have an opinion one way or the other.
Bono - I like U2 (sorry if that is uncool but early U2 especially were very very good). So I can ignore a lot of Bono's patronising, do-gooding, look-at-me-saving-the-third-world lecturing because of that
Piers Morgan - a close call. But if we have to have Gooners in existence then at least let them be total w@nkers that we can laugh at
Farage - no redeeming features. Agree 100%.

But back to 2016, there does seem to be a disproportionate number of 'celebrity' deaths that are linked to my youth and beyond.
I am feeling more and more mortal as every month passes.

Bono - I like U2 (sorry if that is uncool but early U2 especially were very very good). So I can ignore a lot of Bono's patronising, do-gooding, look-at-me-saving-the-third-world lecturing because of that
Piers Morgan - a close call. But if we have to have Gooners in existence then at least let them be total w@nkers that we can laugh at

But back to 2016, there does seem to be a disproportionate number of 'celebrity' deaths that are linked to my youth and beyond.

Bono's a hypocritical tax avoiding rooster
Sting's a hypocritical tantric rooster
Piers Morgan is a rooster
Farage is a racist clam

I've got more if you want them.

You and me both mate.

Last edited:

I wish i had a pound for every time i had a discussion with folks who said " but he's depressing" " i would end up cutting my wrists listening to him".

My reply was how many times/songs have you listened too? they would reply one song is enough. That usually ended up with me shaking my head and walking away.

I know Stop! Hammer time ( and as i said earlier i thought he was brilliant) but how the hell anyone can say they dislike/hate a singer if they never listen to more then one song.

I wish i had a pound for every time i had a discussion with folks who said " but he's depressing" " i would end up cutting my wrists listening to him".

My reply was how many times/songs have you listened too? they would reply one song is enough. That usually ended up with me shaking my head and walking away.

I know Stop! Hammer time ( and as i said earlier i thought he was brilliant) but how the hell anyone can say they dislike/hate a singer if they never listen to more then one song.
I've only listened to one Justin Bieber song, I'm fairly safe in my opinion.

The mood I had in mind in my post was more "contemplative" rather than "depressing" - although certainly tinged with sadness
I know what you mean though, many people maybe don't get as far as the lyrics and give up because of the downbeat nature of the music (at a first listen). I am lucky that someone I knew was into musicians such as Cohen, Dylan and others of that period/style, so I had no choice but to listen to them. For which I am very grateful.

Back