• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

2015/16 Europa League - Round of 16: Borussia Dortmund

Status
Not open for further replies.
You play an extra 2-legged tie in the knockout phases of the EL (17 games total).

Also, unless you win a the FA Cup, you must partake in a playoff round of 2 legs - even if you come 5th (19 games total).

If you come 6th, you have to play the third qualifying round, a playoff, and then the usual 17 games (21 games total).

Not to mention the trips to far-flung places that usually aren't represented in the CL.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Europa_League#Format

The original calculations are correct.

4th have to play a qualifying round whereas 5th don't, which balances up the extra round of 32.

The rules/co-efficients have also changed this season - 6th doesn't have to go into the qualifying round the same as 5th, whereas 7th only has one round rather than 2.

The original calculations are correct.

4th have to play a qualifying round whereas 5th don't, which balances up the extra round of 32.

The rules/co-efficients have also changed this season - 6th doesn't have to go into the qualifying round the same as 5th, whereas 7th only has one round rather than 2.

Cheers.

Still, playing in either European competition hinders league form, which lessens the chance of getting into the CL.

The difference between the two being that once you have qualified for the CL, the money and prestige can be used to put together a squad more capable of re-qualification.

TBH I am softening to the EL based on this thread, even if I don't think it is particularly conducive to progressing in the medium term.

You play an extra 2-legged tie in the knockout phases of the EL (17 games total).

Also, unless you win a the FA Cup, you must partake in a playoff round of 2 legs - even if you come 5th (19 games total).

If you come 6th, you have to play the third qualifying round, a playoff, and then the usual 17 games (21 games total).

Not to mention the trips to far-flung places that usually aren't represented in the CL.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Europa_League#Format

See the original post. 6th depends entirely on the outcome of the FA Cup final. If Villa win then 6th is the final EL spot and therfore goes into the 3rd qualifying round and if l'Arse win then 6th gets the second spot and therfore goes straight into the Group Stages with 7th place taking the final spot and having to enter the 3rd qualifying round.

Overall I have very mixed views on whether I want us to qualify or not. I can see the arguments on both sides.

Ultimately I want Spurs to win every game of the football they play and therefore I hope that means we accumulate as many points as possible from the remaining 4 games of the season and finish as high up the table as possible. Clearly the best outcome will be for us to finish 5th and then Villa to win the Cup Final.

Likewise, when next season comes around I'll wake up on a Thursday morning when we have a game knowing that I'll be watching us, either live or on TV, that evening and despite the fact it will be a nothing game against a nothing team I'd prefer that to having to wait until the weekend.

I would like us to start wearing navy blue shorts for Euro games though; I understand the historical significance of the all-white kit but for me seeing us in white shorts now is synonomous with half empty stadium, stupid Europa League music, referees in burgundy kits and ITV4.

Ok, lets address these points one by one.

You don't need to be involved in the Europa league to blood players, thats what the League cup and the loan system is there for, and they'd probably get better experience playing in the championship then against pigfarmer fc.

I don't care if the players are up for it, I didn't make that point, but the average player we are looking to pursue in the xfer windows has little interest in playing in the Europa.

Don't bring up chelsea because they're in a different football stratosphere to us, like others have pointed out, their depth of squad means they are able to fight their battles on multiple fronts and thats my point about the Europa which I keep banging home, yeh players can play 3 times a week in the but that leads to more injuries and puts us at a disadvantage to who we're competing against in the league which should be our bread and butter.

Of course you see some good games in the EL, half the time its playing dross that are just trying to keep the score down but how have we progressed in any way playing in this competition? I don't really think it benefits us much to be honest, Lamela for example looked like Ronaldo against the cypriot team I've forgotten the name of but can't show anything like that sort of form against decent opposition.

I'm not a fan of the new anachronism either that finishing 4th is a success but I just don't think we can win the EL in its current format unless we get knocked out of both domestic cup competitions early on and I crave success for tottenham, I want people to recognise us as a force again, that won't come from reaching the semis and losing to Zenit, it'll come from being knocked out in the Champions League QF's by Real Madrid no less.

oops, have just seen this now, will reply later when I have time!

Can I just say I absolutely don't see what this fuss with the Europa League is all about?!

We want to be playing (successfully, I assume, in the Champions League) but then cry off because we have too many games and too much travelling. Come on!

It does not take a genius to realise that planning is all that is needed. If we cannot string together two decent teams then we really should keep our aspirations at the West Ham level.

Is it so difficult for Poch to plan his EPL team from early on in the week (he is not one to change unnecessarily after all) and then keep those starting eleven in England and training under one of his assistants. The other 11 travel and play the midweek EL and LC games (with the reserves being composed of under 21s). It may involve sending a couple of less youngsters out on loan but this could be then done in the January transfer window once our European status is clear.

It will allow us to have a slightly bigger squad (compensated by the EL payouts), gives under 21s immediate action and involvement with Spurs rather than a Championship or League 1 side and most importantly keeps fringe players involved. All he then needs to do is to include a carrot whereby consistently good EL displays are rewarded with being picked for PL games.

The main squad would continue to train and play in the EPL league as if we did not have European action, with players being then switched to the EL squad if they lose their first team place.

UEFA will not say anything as there is nothing in the statute that forces us to play the best squad - indeed Redknapp pnly played youngsters one year and nobody from UEFA raised an eyebrow.

Remaining games:

5th: Liverpool - 61 pts +11 GD
Chelsea (a), C Palace (h), Stoke C (a)

6th: Tottenham H 58 pts +6 GD
Emirates Marketing Project (h), Stoke C (a), Hull C (h), Everton (a)

7th: Southampton 57 pts +20 GD
Leicester C (a), Aston Villa (h), Man C (a)

8th: Swansea 53 pts -1 GD
Arsenal (a), Man C (h), Crystal P (a)

Remaining games:

5th: Liverpool - 61 pts +11 GD
Chelsea (a), C Palace (h), Stoke C (a)

6th: Tottenham H 58 pts +6 GD
Emirates Marketing Project (h), Stoke C (a), Hull C (h), Everton (a)

7th: Southampton 57 pts +20 GD
Leicester C (a), Aston Villa (h), Man C (a)

8th: Swansea 53 pts -1 GD
Arsenal (a), Man C (h), Crystal P (a)

Swansea will do well to get 5pts from those last 3 games. 4 possibly. Southampton will be going to Leicester at the right time as far as we are concerned, would be nice if we could secure minimum 6th place next weekend so we can enjoy the last two matches and maybe blood a few fringe players

This idea of having two squads means we would need around 44 players as you still need to play games with 11 players as part of training and setting up for the game surely?

Is it so difficult for Poch to plan his EPL team from early on in the week (he is not one to change unnecessarily after all) and then keep those starting eleven in England and training under one of his assistants. The other 11 travel and play the midweek EL and LC games (with the reserves being composed of under 21s). It may involve sending a couple of less youngsters out on loan but this could be then done in the January transfer window once our European status is clear.

Great in theory but Poch isn't gonna change. He's gonna continue treating these games like the rest.

This idea of having two squads means we would need around 44 players as you still need to play games with 11 players as part of training and setting up for the game surely?

Of course not... As Gale mentions, training is never 11 vs 11. A decent 25 man squad with youngsters like Winks, Onomah etc drafted from the U-21 would be eminently workable

Of course not... As Gale mentions, training is never 11 vs 11. A decent 25 man squad with youngsters like Winks, Onomah etc drafted from the U-21 would be eminently workable

According to the ex players I know they regularly train 11 vs 11 to set up for the match. They practice transition and tactics

we looked tired out there today, missed our sharpness, all those EL matches catching up with us, swansea could pip us for 7th.....

we looked tired out there today, missed our sharpness, all those EL matches catching up with us, swansea could pip us for 7th.....

Swansea still have Arsenal and Palace away as well as City at home and are 5pts behind us with an inferior GD. If they get 7pts from those 3 fixtures they probably deserve it.
If we can't get 3pts from our last 3 matches we probably dont

Great in theory but Poch isn't gonna change. He's gonna continue treating these games like the rest.

Except you know... for him not doing that even this season?

He's not taking it to the extreme Maltese is suggesting. I can't think of any manager that ever has done that? But he certainly didn't treat the EL games like the rest.

Except you know... for him not doing that even this season?

He's not taking it to the extreme Maltese is suggesting. I can't think of any manager that ever has done that? But he certainly didn't treat the EL games like the rest.

Actually Redknapp did and played the kids, remember? First team did not even travel to EL games and didn't even play in the WHL games...

Actually Redknapp did and played the kids, remember? First team did not even travel to EL games and didn't even play in the WHL games...

I don't recall that being the case - he rested alot of players sure but not to the extent you're implying.

I think i remember Bolton doing it once away to Sporting Lisbon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back