• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

WWE Thread

Damn I really thought for once this wrestling thread would avoid being invaded by the 'it's not real' phalanx but it wasn't to be.

Ah well, bound to happen, it's not like we all think it's real but I'll always remember this match...

[video=youtube;3UZ5w6KxXrs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UZ5w6KxXrs[/video]

Scripted yes but these blokes put an awful lot on the line for entertainment.

You do know that everyhing in this entertainment show is completely scripted and games as well as titles (whatever those are) are pre-defined beforehand? It has nothing to do with actual wrestlers' ability, skill or competitivness during the games.

you do know that you're totally wrong right?

Some wrestlers can be technically better than others, some physically stronger, some have greater endurance, etc etc. Usually wrestlers that actually have a wrestling background (i.e. practised in other forms of wrestling when younger...Greco Roman etc etc) are the better wrestlers and therefore are expected to carry their opponent.

Carrying the opponent usually means they'd be the one that gives the instructions during their match, and carry most of the offensive duties during the match (not always the case on that one tbh but usually).

For instance if The big Show was facing someone like Chris Jericho you'd bet your ass Jericho would have to be doing 99% of the work during the bout (100% if he's facing Great Khali).

Its like a big freestyle stunt show really. Great when you're a kid, I just don't see the attraction to an adult audience to be honest, but each to their own I suppose.

About everything being scripted and the outcome of every match decided beforehand?

Thanks but no thanks

Let's leave it at that

no about this bogus statement:

'It has nothing to do with actual wrestlers' ability, skill or competitivness during the games".

Now we can leave it.

But a brick wrestler can still win a game if the script says so. That was my point

Geees, you're touchy

I'm not touchy at all. I gave a full detailed answer as to why your post was incorrect to which you ignored the whole post except the first sentence and replied only to that. Your point now is correct though.

In future if you're not a fan of something my advice would be stay out of the thread as you're probably going to get a lot of what you call "touchy" comments.

But a brick wrestler can still win a game if the script says so. That was my point
That doesn't really matter though. You've got to look at it like you would any other scripted entertainment, like a soap opera, cop show, or a film. The wins and losses are just another part of the storyline of the show, nothing more than that.

You'll often have a film where the "lesser actor" gets the lead role because of their looks, box office pulling power, etc., while the "better actor" gets a smaller and less prominent role. Not dissimilar to having a scripted wrestling match, where a certain wrestler will win because they're the crowd favourite, popular with the kids, etc., and you have the more talented wrestler using their skills to make the big star look as good as possible.

Nobody is under any illusion that it's an athletic contest where the wins or losses mean anything, but that doesn't mean you can't admire the skill an athleticism needed to put on a realistic and entertaining match, or think "Ah, that match was good because of the ability of wrestler A rather than wrestler B."

That doesn't really matter though. You've got to look at it like you would any other scripted entertainment, like a soap opera, cop show, or a film. The wins and losses are just another part of the storyline of the show, nothing more than that.

You'll often have a film where the "lesser actor" gets the lead role because of their looks, box office pulling power, etc., while the "better actor" gets a smaller and less prominent role. Not dissimilar to having a scripted wrestling match, where a certain wrestler will win because they're the crowd favourite, popular with the kids, etc., and you have the more talented wrestler using their skills to make the big star look as good as possible.

Nobody is under any illusion that it's an athletic contest where the wins or losses mean anything, but that doesn't mean you can't admire the skill an athleticism needed to put on a realistic and entertaining match, or think "Ah, that match was good because of the ability of wrestler A rather than wrestler B."

SpursCenaREX_468x386.jpg

Why is that pic with the Badger? That is the 125 kit, should be Jol. Dunno who the bloke is though.

A bit disappointed with the admittedly little I've seen of Rock v Cena. My main gripe with Cena is that he's been squeeky clean too long. The fans have all turned against him but for the kiddies, and they'll turn as soon as WWE prompts them to. Rock v Cena could have been about the real peoples champion v the plastic peoples champion But instead its turned into Cena v Dwayne Johnson, because we don't know the real Rock and that dude's an asshole.

It's like they're still keeping Cena's cred in the bank so once The Rock has been and gone, Cena's status as the WWE appointed "crowd favourite" isn't damaged.

That's crap. Should have been about knocking Cena off his perch and making him heal and work for his living for a good 12 months. He could make a great heal, and then make an even bigger face when he comes full circle and takes out The Rock again in another year or two. Disappointed - but if i've missed something on this please let me know.

Don't say anything bad about Bret Hart, then you are in real trouble ;)

Isn't he thoroughly dead?

Re Mankind vs Undertaker, I don't think that match went exactly as planned. I've read a Mick Foley biography and I think he said they crossed a line somewhere and Mick had to convince The Undertaker to perform these things.

Hart suffered with severe concussion after he got kicked in the head by Goldberg, then had a stroke after a bike accident, so yeh he's screwed.

Alot of it was off the cuff, theres a quote somewhere that went along the lines of...

- "Mark.. throw me off the cell onto the tables..."
- "No Mick you sick son of a bitch, you'll break your neck!?
- "just do it!"

The pop it achieved was immense, would never see a match like that anymore, well not in this PG13 rating era at the moment. Thats the reason the Taker/HHH Mania match is going to be so disappointing, no big stunts and no blading, whats the point?

The pop it achieved was immense, would never see a match like that anymore, well not in this PG13 rating era at the moment. Thats the reason the Taker/HHH Mania match is going to be so disappointing, no big stunts and no blading, whats the point?
You say that, but I thought their match last year was very good. Those two Taker v HBK matches at WM were absolutely superb, but it was a simple one fall match (maybe in part to HBK, HHH isn't as entertaining IMO).

This is the best Wrestlemania card in over 10 years in my opinion. I personally can't wait. We are in a 'reality era' so to speak and personally I think the whole personal element coming into the big matches are brilliant and a new take on things. I'm much more interested in Punk/Jericho then any other match. It is definitely one of the most predictable Wrestlemania's of all time but I think the matches themselves will all be show stealers so to speak.

i like how they gave cena a push over the rock last couple raws, think rock claimed it back with last mondays rock and roll show. all three main matches split the whole wwe universe down the middle on who they want to win and who they think will win which is why its such a good card, shame there is not MITB match tho, was a personal highlight

You say that, but I thought their match last year was very good. Those two Taker v HBK matches at WM were absolutely superb, but it was a simple one fall match (maybe in part to HBK, HHH isn't as entertaining IMO).

That's what I meant, they don't need a gimmic like HIAC to make a good match, HIAC without the old attitude style violence is a waste of time.

And IMO HBK is 100x the wrestler HHH is, injuries have screwed him big time.

Back