• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Who do you want to follow Poch from Southampton?

clevelandspur

Pascal Chimbonda
Nothing against Southampton but they have several useful players that we could use. So who do you think we will go after and realistically who do we expect to have on our books next season from them?

I think Shaw is unlikely. Will cost too much and I think would only leave Saints for CL football.

I would prefer Lallana and Lovren and think they could step into the starting 11 immediately

Others who have been mentioned: Rodriguez, Ward-Prowse, Chambers, Schneiderlin

Also here is a look at what they think of us at the moment, not to happy as expected ha

http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?50405-Shaw-and-Lallana-to-Spurs#.U4XlK_ldVic

Shaw and Lovren would be great, as would Rodriguez. If that was our business this summer I think we'd be pretty much sorted, although I don't think Southampton are simply going to roll over and let their squad get dismantled by their old manager.

I thought I had heard somewhere that Lallana supported Spurs as a youngster, not even sure we have the funds to buy him but if that is true could maybe help us sway him?

Never thought we had any chance of getting Shaw. If there's one thing that could put us in with a shout it's getting Pochettino as our manager, but I still think it's extremely unlikely.

Would be happy with any of the players mentioned so far.

1) Lovren - ideal replacement for Kaboul (assuming he is perma-crocked)

2) Schneiderlin - replacement for Modric/upgrade on Dembele - deep sitting ballplayer with strong defensive attributes

They'd be my two priorities.

Re the others - Eriksen and Lamela can be our own (and have higher ceilings than) Lallana and Rodriguez, and Shaw is out of our league/price range.

i wouldn't mind some of those players that have been listed. but i don't mind if we don't get any of them. only luke shaw would kind of be a garunteed starter for us imo.

the jump up from southampton to us is huge. guys like dembele, paulinho, erikssen, sigurdsson etc would look better than lallana, scheinderlin, chambers, ward-prowse, rodriguez if they were at a midtable side.

its not like southampton only have one or two good players. they have an absolute handfull. yet they finished some way off us. it shows that we don't really need a lot of their players. our players only look bad in the context of not having finshed above arsenal, chelsea, man utd, city (over the past few seasons). compared to the rest of the league, our players are generally the best.

Shaw, Lallana and Lovren would instantly improve us a great deal. Would love to see all 3 at the lane.

i wouldn't mind some of those players that have been listed. but i don't mind if we don't get any of them. only luke shaw would kind of be a garunteed starter for us imo.

the jump up from southampton to us is huge. guys like dembele, paulinho, erikssen, sigurdsson etc would look better than lallana, scheinderlin, chambers, ward-prowse, rodriguez if they were at a midtable side.

its not like southampton only have one or two good players. they have an absolute handfull. yet they finished some way off us. it shows that we don't really need a lot of their players. our players only look bad in the context of not having finshed above arsenal, chelsea, man utd, city (over the past few seasons). compared to the rest of the league, our players are generally the best.

I doubt that. Considering we struggled to have any decent wingers/forwards all season Lallana would walk into the team. The end of Lennon probably at least as a starter. Rodriguez looks quality and would be in contention and with the disaster our CB's were last season I would say Lovren would easily be first choice

I think we need to concentrate on our priority positions and assess whether their players in those are better than ours, rather than blowing our limited funds on whichever players are available.

I also wonder if Southampton might be a good market to sell some of our excess players? If they are in the black after selling Shaw and Lallana, players like Dembele, Sigurdsson and Lennon might interest them.

Dembele is not...and will never be an "excess player". He'll be here next season and will probably be a starter.

From Southampton:

Lovren
Schneiderlin
Chambers
Clyne
Lallana

Wouldn't mind any of them (the 2 rb's if we sell Naughton). Shaw for 20m plus is not worth it....no full back is regardless of potential.

Schneiderlin and Lovren.

Shaw would be great, but I don't think we'll be able to get him.

Lallana.. maybe. Don't think we desperately need a player in his position, due to Eriksen and Lamela.

My mate who is a huge Saints raves about Ward-Prowse, he reckons he's the new Scholes.

I doubt that. Considering we struggled to have any decent wingers/forwards all season Lallana would walk into the team. The end of Lennon probably at least as a starter. Rodriguez looks quality and would be in contention and with the disaster our CB's were last season I would say Lovren would easily be first choice

whos to say lallana wouldn't struggle tho? its happend many times that a player shines for a mid-table side, but fails to make as great an impact for a top 4 team. antonio valencia, ashley young, downing, milner to name a few wingers. and dare i say dembele and sigurdsson too. the pressure of playing for a team like ours is huge, and from what ive seen, i'm not convinced that lallana can be a star for a top 4 side (which is what we are aiming for).

from what i can see, there isnt much difference between lallana and other player's who are as labelled "overratted english players, who plays in the premier league", if he is truly being valued at 20-25m that is. if it wasnt for the fairy tale story of southampton, plus lallana's seemingly likeable personality, i genuinely could see him being perceived a lot differently.

whos to say lallana wouldn't struggle tho? its happend many times that a player shines for a mid-table side, but fails to make as great an impact for a top 4 team. antonio valencia, ashley young, downing, milner to name a few wingers. and dare i say dembele and sigurdsson too. the pressure of playing for a team like ours is huge, and from what ive seen, i'm not convinced that lallana can be a star for a top 4 side (which is what we are aiming for).

from what i can see, there isnt much difference between lallana and other player's who are as labelled "overratted english players, who plays in the premier league", if he is truly being valued at 20-25m that is. if it wasnt for the fairy tale story of southampton, plus lallana's seemingly likeable personality, i genuinely could see him being perceived a lot differently.

He may struggle but you can say that about any new transfer. Less likely he will with the same manager and same league. Of the players you mentioned Downing is really the only one who is a flop. Young had a few good seasons at Manure and then not sure what happened to him. Lallana had 9 goals 6 assists last season when compared to the likes of Lennon that is a great return.

He may struggle but you can say that about any new transfer. Less likely he will with the same manager and same league. Of the players you mentioned Downing is really the only one who is a flop. Young had a few good seasons at Manure and then not sure what happened to him. Lallana had 9 goals 6 assists last season when compared to the likes of Lennon that is a great return.

I know it's only one example, but Fellaini.

He may struggle but you can say that about any new transfer. Less likely he will with the same manager and same league.

yh thats true, fair enough
Of the players you mentioned Downing is really the only one who is a flop. Young had a few good seasons at Manure and then not sure what happened to him. Lallana had 9 goals 6 assists last season when compared to the likes of Lennon that is a great return.

i also accept this in the sense that none of the guys listed were total disasters. but in hindsight, if man utd could purchase someone else with that 16m they paid for the likes of young and valencia, i think they would do. and i fear this will be the case for lallana, if we choose to spend 20-25m for him. and 9 goals and 6 assists is very good. but when teams play southampton, they are a lot more open than they are against a genuine top 4 contender like us. i think this is why players like young and valencia could shine at mid-table clubs, but fail to be as impressive for a better club.

i'm obviously not saying lallana is a bad player. but i just fear that his new found hype means that we may be overrating him, and thus leaves us vulnerable to overpaying for a player who is really only in the same ballpark as players we already have.

I like Lovren, he would be a must buy IMO, then any English player they have. Wouldn't mind **$$ing off Liverpool over Lallana, Rodriguez adds to that English quota too.

Replaces imo Dembele (who I think will be awful in the new regime, crock who lasts 60mins as of now) and Siggurdson.

None of them as we beat them twice already because we had a better team ?

no seriously and we will not pay 27 million for a young left back when there are left backs that would cost less hell poch could probably train one up in a fortnight and we pay nothing :)

yh thats true, fair enough

i also accept this in the sense that none of the guys listed were total disasters. but in hindsight, if man utd could purchase someone else with that 16m they paid for the likes of young and valencia, i think they would do. and i fear this will be the case for lallana, if we choose to spend 20-25m for him. and 9 goals and 6 assists is very good. but when teams play southampton, they are a lot more open than they are against a genuine top 4 contender like us. i think this is why players like young and valencia could shine at mid-table clubs, but fail to be as impressive for a better club.

i'm obviously not saying lallana is a bad player. but i just fear that his new found hype means that we may be overrating him, and thus leaves us vulnerable to overpaying for a player who is really only in the same ballpark as players we already have.

It's a fair point and I guess we would never truly know until he came to us. He just seems like a Spurs type player and is very good on the ball. I guess also depends who goes out and what we have to spend? He would not be cheap and I guess what they end up wanting for him is the main issue. Is he worth 20m +? I would say no but anything below that I would say we would be interested

Dembele is not...and will never be an "excess player". He'll be here next season and will probably be a starter.

From Southampton:

Lovren
Schneiderlin
Chambers
Clyne
Lallana

Wouldn't mind any of them (the 2 rb's if we sell Naughton). Shaw for 20m plus is not worth it....no full back is regardless of potential.
Although I don't think we will, spending £20 million on Shaw would be more than worth it IF he carries on improving as he is. He could then be our left back for the next 10-15 years (unlikely I know) but it's just the same as spending £10 million on a left back in their mid to late twenties.

Back