• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

What would Jenas do?

I've said it before, he was a confidence player.

When he was full of confidence he was a cracking player, but his mentality was very brittle and if things weren't going well he'd retreat into his shell and revert to the 'pass it sideways' Jenas.

I believe this too.

Jenas had all the tools to become a fantastic player like a Gerrard or Lampard. However he didnt drive himself on, he took the easy route out. A fact proved by how he ended up at Spurs, he didnt like living in the goldfish bowl of Saudi Sportswashing Machine apparently. Gerrard and Lampard have the natural ability but also process the mental attributes to always push themselves, Jenas sadly didnt have it.

He still had some great games, Derby at home when he just ran through their team, always seemed to play well against the big team Arsenal and Man U

To be fair it wasn't the most well written post I've made!

But it is certainly something we should think about with the performance of some of our current squad.

A positive crowd attitude in Dec and Jan might might just show the real character of our squad - I think we have a lot of confidence players in the squad ( and we should replace some of those with fighters)

I believe this too.

Jenas had all the tools to become a fantastic player like a Gerrard or Lampard. However he didnt drive himself on, he took the easy route out. A fact proved by how he ended up at Spurs, he didnt like living in the goldfish bowl of Saudi Sportswashing Machine apparently. Gerrard and Lampard have the natural ability but also process the mental attributes to always push themselves, Jenas sadly didnt have it.

He still had some great games, Derby at home when he just ran through their team, always seemed to play well against the big team Arsenal and Man U

He certainly did, scored some memorable goals against them. The late equaliser in the 2-2 and that opening goal in the 5-1. I will always hold in hugh regard for that, he showed up for those games, because as I have alluded to previously he 'got' the NLD rivalry, where I truly believe some of this current squad don't and treat it like 'just another league match'

Thought he was a useful squad player, no more, no less. Jack of all trades, master of none. That said, he didn't deserve the amount of abuse he received, nor does anyone really.

The issue with Jenas was that, like i mentioned above, he had no single attribute that was particularly special or of a high standard. He was not particularly creative, his reading of the game was ok, his technique was pretty ordinary and again you can't say he was all that great at finishing either. He reminds me a little of Mason for me, in that whilst his ability was not of the highest level his work-rate and desire to do well was sufficient enough to earn him a place in the side.

For me, he maximised his potential here, he had plenty of opportunities and in the end he just turned out to be an OK player.

I'm sure that there are plenty of others that i am unable to remember just yet, but just off the top of my head, two players that you could argue never maximised their potential here were Defoe and Taraabt; two players that obtained a high-level of raw ability that was clear for all to see, but both for whatever reason fell someway short of the level that their ability warranted. Vertonghen's career could possibly be heading the same way, there is a world-class player in there somewhere but at the moment he just looks completely disillusioned with all the ****e that is currently going on here at the moment.

Last edited:
The late equaliser in the 2-2 and that opening goal in the 5-1. I will always hold in hugh regard for that, he showed up for those games, because as I have alluded to previously he 'got' the NLD rivalry, where I truly believe some of this current squad don't and treat it like 'just another league match'

Yes those games did bring out the best in him. I think that was why he got flack, he seemed to have the potential to be a Gerrard, but never the mindset. But did his best....

He certainly did, scored some memorable goals against them. The late equaliser in the 2-2 and that opening goal in the 5-1. I will always hold in hugh regard for that, he showed up for those games, because as I have alluded to previously he 'got' the NLD rivalry, where I truly believe some of this current squad don't and treat it like 'just another league match'
Best of all must surely have been his late goal at the Emirates in 2008 that triggered our crazy comeback to 4-4 .

Best of all must surely have been his late goal at the Emirates in 2008 that triggered our crazy comeback to 4-4 .

.....and I was there to see it - albeit sitting with Gunners fans. A real test of self control on three occasions. The early Bentley wonder goal and the two late ones to equalize. Difficult to hide my feeling of utter joy at the end. Tee hee

He may have been invisible on the pitch but I'm really enjoying him as a pundit. A lot of insight into our Spurs too.

Article about the infamous Dublin visit under Arry:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/35089706

Agreed. He annoyed me a lot as a player, but comes across as a very nice guy as a pundit, which makes me feel a bit bad about disliking him as a player. He did score some very important goals for us, plenty against scum. So, all is forgiven, jenas!

.....and I was there to see it - albeit sitting with Gunners fans. A real test of self control on three occasions. The early Bentley wonder goal and the two late ones to equalize. Difficult to hide my feeling of utter joy at the end. Tee hee
Even though we only drew it must have felt like a massive win. Kudos.

I think people forget the impact he had in the second season we finished 5th under Martin Jol. We went on an extraordinary run with a midfield 3 of Jenas , zokora and Tainio. He was also very good under Ramos, instrumental in our 2008 carling cup win. I always liked him and felt he was under appreciated because he did a lot of the "dirty" work in midfield rather than dictating play like a modric or eriksen for example. He could also deliver a pretty good set piece.

I was about to say the same. I think that Poch would have done well with a young Jenas.

He has one = Alli

I'm surprised how people don't spend more time on the similarities .. both great athletes, both with great box to box ability, can play deep or forward, can score ...

Back