• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

What would Jenas do?

I've been really pleasantly surprised.

It just goes to show how unrelated intelligence and footballing intelligence are. Jenas is like the inverse Gazza.

It's actually funny how much he embarrasses his fellow pundits with his understanding and eloquence.

But JJ wasn't a football intelligence issue (ala Dembele or Townsend who definitely have on field decision making challenges)

Jenas to me was motivation, I think he was comfortable with the level his natural talent took him too, I don't think its any coincidence his best games were against the Scum (once he upped his motivation, he was a very capable footballer)

Jenas with Beckham's work ethic would have been one of the best footballers England every produced .. but that never happened ..

I've been surprised too. What is unusual is that he isn't trying to add colour or be a character, he's just giving relatively clear and straightforward analysis. It's not about him, which doesn't bode well for his media career.

But JJ wasn't a football intelligence issue (ala Dembele or Townsend who definitely have on field decision making challenges)

Jenas to me was motivation, I think he was comfortable with the level his natural talent took him too, I don't think its any coincidence his best games were against the Scum (once he upped his motivation, he was a very capable footballer)

Jenas with Beckham's work ethic would have been one of the best footballers England every produced .. but that never happened ..

I think it was intelligence that held him back, on the ball intelligence at least - head down and run with the ball player who lacked any awarness of his team mates off the ball movement - so many times you saw players making good runs or in goid positions but he seldom made the right pass

I think it was intelligence that held him back, on the ball intelligence at least - head down and run with the ball player who lacked any awarness of his team mates off the ball movement - so many times you saw players making good runs or in goid positions but he seldom made the right pass

Look at his best games, right runs, right shots, takes the game by the scruff ...

Motivation can be on/off, intelligence can't, we might have to disagree on this one ..

I've been surprised too. What is unusual is that he isn't trying to add colour or be a character, he's just giving relatively clear and straightforward analysis. It's not about him, which doesn't bode well for his media career.

What do you mean by that?

Look at his best games, right runs, right shots, takes the game by the scruff ...

Motivation can be on/off, intelligence can't, we might have to disagree on this one ..

I think you are right in that motovation was a key, he was very much a big game player but even in those games he played well he would still have zero awarness of those around him - it's just the motovation to pull off the runs/score a goal was higher so masked the other flaws in his game

What do you mean by that?

The media like sound bites and controversy he is above that so will probably not get invited as much or go as far as others. I would love to see him go in to coaching and see how it works out. Would like him to start out at spurs with your youngsters while he gets his coaching badges. Would be good to have a boot room thing going on.

O/T see Dyer and Bramble are doing this at Ipswich, lets hope dyer can keep away from the talcum powder.

Yeah I think this was it with Jenas. He never had the big picture in his head and just reacted to what happened around him rather than reading the game like the top midfielders. He was a good player mind but just fell short of being a really good one. Really good pundit though.

I really like him as a pundit.

I remain convinced that one of the reasons he did not push on as a player was our fans getting on his back. 90% of the time he looked for the easy ball and I think that this was because of the groans when he tried something that did not come off.

I really like him as a pundit.

I remain convinced that one of the reasons he did not push on as a player was our fans getting on his back. 90% of the time he looked for the easy ball and I think that this was because of the groans when he tried something that did not come off.

WALOB

There is no evidence of the two things ever being connected.

Look at the wonderful football we are currently producing despite grumblings from the crowd
Oh wait. ......

He is a very insightful pundit

Over the last month i cant think of a football show he hasn't managed to been on.
But anyway, pleased for him.Was always underrated as a player and given abuse for no reason.

Jenas was a typical Spurs player. Had promise and quality before joining Spurs but lost all of that once he signed for us. It seems almost all our players are like that in recent years, especially midfielders. Jenas had top quality freekicks but in a typical Spurs fashion lost almost all those skills after joining us. But I still remember his world class freekick against ManU which gave us a 1-1 draw in 2005. Then, who can forget his freekick in the 2008 Carling Cup final which enabled Woodgate to score the winning goal.

But then he will also be remembered for missing the crucial penalty against PSV Eindhoven in the 2008 UEFA Cup quarter final which could have won the tie for us.

Last edited:
I've said it before, he was a confidence player.

When he was full of confidence he was a cracking player, but his mentality was very brittle and if things weren't going well he'd retreat into his shell and revert to the 'pass it sideways' Jenas.

WALOB

There is no evidence of the two things ever being connected.

Look at the wonderful football we are currently producing despite grumblings from the crowd
Oh wait. ......

He is a very insightful pundit
I didn't say I had any evidence, it is just an opinion. The crowd did get on his back. You did hear people screaming for us to get the ball forward quickly or groaning when something didn't come off.

I didn't say I had any evidence, it is just an opinion. The crowd did get on his back. You did hear people screaming for us to get the ball forward quickly or groaning when something didn't come off.
I think Barry was agreeing with you judging by the 2nd half of his post.

I don't think that the poster is disagreeing with you. They've just said that our crowd getting on the back of our players might lead to poor performances as that's what is happening these days too.

Truth is that players don't live in bubbles on the pitch. In the same way that Soldado has said that he loves our fans for getting behind him, so other players may struggle with confidence when the crowd are constantly on their backs.

Imagine your name being read out, as one of the starting line-up, only for this to be met with a chorus of discontent, hardly going to put you at ease, is it?

So there could be an element of truth about what you have said about Jenas.

Back