• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

What of our centre backs?

All 3 are too slow. We have to play a deep line all the time. We can never push up against teams when we need a goal. There end up being a huge gap between our midfield and defence.

I think it's time for King to step down into a coaching role. Gallas is a tricky one, he's a mercenary but occasionally good to have around, Nelson will never be good enough and Dawson is becoming a crock.

Get Caulker back, buy a decent quick CB and keep Kaboul, Gallas and Dawson.

As many have said for ages, we need to establish a first choice pair that plays week after week.

12/13:
Kaboul
Caulker
Dawson
King
Vertonghen

The rest can go

This, 100 percent. Well, almost; I don't think Vertonghen would come to us, now he's got Bayern and City as suitors along with us, and we don't look like making automatic CL qualification. Perhaps Matija Nastasic of Fiorentina, he's being billed as the 'new Vidic'.

We need a new "King"

I'm comfortable with Kaboul/Caulker/Dawson playing alongside a top level CB.

I think the last few games have shown King is in fact human, and the end is coming, better he steps down now.

Gallas/Nelsen were stop gaps that probably have been used too much as it is.

King? Gallas? Nelsen?

All need upgrading on in the summer IMO.

They need releasing in the summer.

Probably close to 200k a week in wages for 3 players who are absolutely beyond anything close to match-fit or semi-able to compete at the highest level. Absolutely shocking how we've ended up at this situation. I know Gallas has another year left but we should actively seek to release all 3 of those, imv. Zero value to the first 11 other than some youtube reacharound from 3 years ago.

King should accept reality and retire on a high during a fitting testimonial. He's been dire since City away and only appears to deteriorate.

Last edited:
All 3 are seriously past it. Kaboul is our only young non-injury prone (although hes injured at the minute) centre back and for me he always looks like has a mistake in him. Although he has come on leaps and bounds this season compared to before. Keep hold of him, bring back Caulker, sign one real world class experienced centre back and hope Dawson stays fit next year.

Gallas at least is a winner and generally plays well even if he isn't always fit. Worth keeping one if them on for the others to learn from.

Is caulker quick and is he a ball playing CB or more saws style?

With a little bit of lady luck with continued development I believe we already have one, look no further than Caulker.

Hopefully so, but Caulker is still very young for a CB. I still think we should release King/Gallas/RN, buy one top level, experienced CB (still in prime) and build around that player with Kaboul/Caulker/Dawson.

- I would pick one CB pairing for the PL, one for cups
- Could keep King on in a coaching capacity

Gallas at least is a winner and generally plays well even if he isn't always fit. Worth keeping one if them on for the others to learn from.

Is caulker quick and is he a ball playing CB or more saws style?

I do agree with the winner mentality, but I think King's long and distinguished service trumps Gallas for the old experienced head slot. And even King should be eased into a coaching role and only used when everyone else is crocked.

For me Gallas/Nelson out.

We need to spunk 20mil on a top top top CB. I don't know who that might be but I'm having doubts about Vertoghen after seeing him brain fart a few times recently. He mostly looks the part but he's not exactly what we need now. There must be someone else out there who would fit the bill.

King should never have played yesterday. He had a nightmare against Norwich! Still a class defender, but even when he's running at full pace he looks like he's jogging! He's not good enough now where we can afford to keep disrupting the consistency of the back four to accomodate him. I'd keep King in the squad, but he shouldn't be automatic first choice anymore.

I think Gallas will be off in the summer, he'll probably end up somewhere like Paris St. Germain.

Nelsen wasn't a terrible signing on reflection. You need pros like him at the club to teach the younger players a few things.

We have messed about with injury prone players for way to long, we need to ship out King, Gallas and Nelsen. It does not help when we keep changing our CB's every couple of games and we need to stop doing it.

Back