• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Transfer Policy

And I forgot Wigan!

Wigan
Figueroa - Fantastic player IMO, developing well. Almost perfect back up/competition for Ekotto and showing he can work as a more orthodox defender. Whatever happens this summer I think he should be on our shopping list.
Moses - A real talent, now blooded into the league and showing what he can do. A bit naive and selfish at times, but he is young and should improve this with maturity.
Diame - Quality CM, all round player IMO who could thrive for us.

I'm not actually sure if his thread is serious or not..

The prices the other PL clubs would charge would be insane, most of them are already on inflated wages in comparison to what we would offer.

Plus some of our greatest successes in player transfers have been getting people in from overseas.. (berb and Modders)

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Our transfer policy is fine..

What is our transfer policy then? Im not sure I recognise it to be honest.

And the likes of Bale, Carrick, Huddlestone, Dawson. Lennon and Defoe werent from abroad were they?

What is our transfer policy then? Im not sure I recognise it to be honest.

And the likes of Bale, Carrick, Huddlestone, Dawson. Lennon and Defoe werent from abroad were they?

Bale - Southampton (not a PL club) (Championship)
Carrick - West spam (not a PL club at the time) (I think they were championship)
Huddlestone - Derby (not a PL club) (Championship)
Dawson - Nottingham Forest (not a PL club) (Championship)
Lennon - leeds (not a PL club) (championship)
Defoe - Pompey (This one i'm not actually sure about, they may have been PL... I forget when administration occured)

I'd even add kyle walker, kyle naughton, scott parker to this list, all were bought from teams in lower divisions.

They may not have been from abroad, but with the exception of Defoe, we didn't buy any of them from other teams in the PL either.

In fact we seem to have most of our success either buying big from abroad, or buying talent through the leagues below us...

Last edited:
As far as the names you ve listed

Reina - considerably over-rated in my opinion. Mildly better Cudicini

Demspey - does not improve our starting 11 - would struggle for fitness/confidence after a month on the bench. Not the youngest either

Dembele - good shout if he s willing to be a squad player

Krul / Ba - doubt Saudi Sportswashing Machine would even consider offers for them / they would want to leave based on the 'promise' of this season alone. Theoretically they could still make the CL at our expense rendering any transfers of value impossible

Drogba - even if remotely possible - im pretty certain Arry would try and talk to him. Massive, massive player but unlikely

Dorrans - no, thanks

Great post

So whats your point? The Championship is better than the Premiership?

My point is simple, we have bought successfully from these shores, not just abroad. Just as Man Utd, Emirates Marketing Project, Chelsea all have as well as Braineclipse points out.

So long as the prices are reasonable then why not?

So whats your point? The Championship is better than the Premiership?

My point is simple, we have bought successfully from these shores, not just abroad. Just as Man Utd, Emirates Marketing Project, Chelsea all have as well as Braineclipse points out.

So long as the prices are reasonable then why not?

They very rarely are.

No my point is we don't have the financial muscle to buy players from other PL teams, and our transfer policy of buying less known players from abroad and the leagues below us has been a success thus far. I can't really see us changing that unless we have some new financial backer that i was not aware of.

How much have Man United, City and Chelsea spent on such talent though? As a spurs fan you should know that we have tended to bleed them dry with transfers whenever they have come calling recently. Just as everybody else in the league has and does.

Our first priority would be to try and offload number of fringe players who clog up our wage bill while in turn offering nothing of substantial value to the team or simply need to move on for the sake of their careers

Saha
Nelsen
Cudicini
Gomes
Jenas
Corluka
Bassong
Bentley
Gio

King to retire

Id estimate thats around 500k/week in wages alone - tremendous amount for a club of our financial model.

As far as targets are concerned - I strongly believe we need to look beyond MotD for potential signings and aim to bring in at least one prospect similar to 'Berbatov' and Modric. In my opinion we only need 3 quality signings this summer - one in each part of the field - CF, wide midfielder/winger, and a CB. We could potentially survive another season with our current GK backup if funding is limited - i.e. we need to prioritise

Its funny you mention this because this is what I have been banging on about for why Harry COULD NOT bring in players. The key word here is "first". Harry has to get rid of players FIRST but if no one wants them what do we do? what does Harry do?

A number of those players are not his - he is actually trying to get rid of players that he never brought in in the first place. There are a couple of the players like saha and nielsen who are out of contract at end of season (advantage of getting in a short term replacement) Bassong is a player that maybe the likes of swansea could buy so he is saleable

So if he cant get rid of them what are we gonna do? we all gonna pounce on Harry?

They very rarely are.

No my point is we don't have the financial muscle to buy players from other PL teams, and our transfer policy of buying less known players from abroad and the leagues below us has been a success thus far. I can't really see us changing that unless we have some new financial backer that i was not aware of.

How much have Man United, City and Chelsea spent on such talent though? As a spurs fan you should know that we have tended to bleed them dry with transfers whenever they have come calling recently. Just as everybody else in the league has and does.

I disagree. Big fish poach from smaller fish, its how it works. Sometimes the smaller fish has a commodity it knows is in demand and highly desired, and holds the aces, and so makes the most of it (which is fair, we have been on both sides of that - Bentley, Bent, Berbatov, Carrick..)

Its not the "rule" though. For example Hoilett - out of contract this summer, minimal compensation.

Its a moving target, not a "law"! Good deals are done all the time at premiership level, and we are also in the position of being big enough to turn a players head in our favour. Its about finding the right player at the opportune time. Im happy dealing at this level, as well as from the Championship, Ligue 1, Bundesliga, La liga.... Why limit yourself?

If we're looking for "squad players" I think we should go for Hoilett and Diame. Both are out of contract in the summer and will be available on a tribunal/free transfer. Both good, have shown they can do a job in the PL and fairly young so they can improve still. Blackburn and Wigan don't pay massive wages so they probably aren't on big money and wouldn't demand massive money to join us.

If we're looking for "squad players" I think we should go for Hoilett and Diame. Both are out of contract in the summer and will be available on a tribunal/free transfer. Both good, have shown they can do a job in the PL and fairly young so they can improve still. Blackburn and Wigan don't pay massive wages so they probably aren't on big money and wouldn't demand massive money to join us.

We bought them, even on a free, and Harry would be accused of wasting wages.

Id be very happy with that business.

Harry could ship out 4 players and get them in for peanuts (fees and wages). Its exactly the sort of business that would allow us a Hazard type buy as well.

I disagree. Big fish poach from smaller fish, its how it works. Sometimes the smaller fish has a commodity it knows is in demand and highly desired, and holds the aces, and so makes the most of it (which is fair, we have been on both sides of that - Bentley, Bent, Berbatov, Carrick..)

Its not the "rule" though. For example Hoilett - out of contract this summer, minimal compensation.

Its a moving target, not a "law"! Good deals are done all the time at premiership level, and we are also in the position of being big enough to turn a players head in our favour. Its about finding the right player at the opportune time. Im happy dealing at this level, as well as from the Championship, Ligue 1, Bundesliga, La liga.... Why limit yourself?

If the 'smaller fish's' players are really in demand do you seriously think we are going to be beating Man United, City or Chelsea to their signatures? The wages we offer aren't going to be that much better then some of the mid-table clubs, even lower in some cases. Villa, Everton and Saudi Sportswashing Machine have about the same resources that we have, why would they let anyone go to us?

More importantly, if players are now mercenaries, and we cannot offer anywhere near the best wages, why would any of them come to us?

In ability i think our first eleven are pretty darn close to Arsenal, chelsea, Saudi Sportswashing Machine. As a spurs fan i'd say ours are better, though that might be tinted glasses. But as soon as you take it off the field Chelsea, City, United and maybe even Liverpool have far greater power within the transfer market. Three are bankrolled, one is one of the biggest clubs in the world.

Big fish do poach from smaller ponds. We are not that big a fish and a number of clubs within the PL are not that small a pond.

We bought them, even on a free, and Harry would be accused of wasting wages.

I don't think he would and I think you are misrepresenting those that have been complaining about our increased wage budget under Harry. I think just about every complaint about that I've read has included some reference to Harry bringing in older player on big wages. Two young players on low wages is pretty much the exact opposite of that.

I already said I don't think they are or would demand big money to join us. Do you disagree? If I had to guess I think we could get both of those players on less than Pienaar was reported to be on. If we then sold Gio, Pienaar and Bentley we would have a better squad on lower wages.

If the 'smaller fish's' players are really in demand do you seriously think we are going to be beating Man United, City or Chelsea to their signatures? The wages we offer aren't going to be that much better then some of the mid-table clubs, even lower in some cases. Villa, Everton and Saudi Sportswashing Machine have about the same resources that we have, why would they let anyone go to us?

More importantly, if players are now mercenaries, and we cannot offer anywhere near the best wages, why would any of them come to us?

In ability i think our first eleven are pretty darn close to Arsenal, chelsea, Saudi Sportswashing Machine. As a spurs fan i'd say ours are better, though that might be tinted glasses. But as soon as you take it off the field Chelsea, City, United and maybe even Liverpool have far greater power within the transfer market. Three are bankrolled, one is one of the biggest clubs in the world.

Big fish do poach from smaller ponds. We are not that big a fish and a number of clubs within the PL are not that small a pond.

Again, I disagree. What we need is very different to what other clubs need. With the 25 man squad rule teams cannot just go for players for the sake of it. So why, if we are interested in someone, would the other big clubs automatically be as well?

And wages are comparitive, compared to Wigan, Swansea.. Even Villa and Everton we are very good paymasters. Why couldnt we entice players?

Its a simple premise, if there are good premiership players, available, in our price range - I think we should go for them.

It seems foolish to me to try and take that option away.

Again, I disagree. What we need is very different to what other clubs need. With the 25 man squad rule teams cannot just go for players for the sake of it. So why, if we are interested in someone, would the other big clubs automatically be as well?

And wages are comparitive, compared to Wigan, Swansea.. Even Villa and Everton we are very good paymasters. Why couldnt we entice players?

Its a simple premise, if there are good premiership players, available, in our price range - I think we should go for them.

It seems foolish to me to try and take that option away.

I agree. There will be good deals available sooner or later. Liverpool made some pretty poor decisions last summer, but Jose Enrique was a good buy and excellent value for money.

6I would like to see a change should we gain Champions Leauge.

I suggest we buy the best player from NON champions league teams from top half of table.

Liverpool - Reina
Fulham - Dempsey, Dembele
Chelsea - Drogba
Saudi Sportswashing Machine - Ba, Krul
Everton - Jaglielka, Baines
WBA - Dorrans

IMO we need to stop talk of the top 20m players from abroad. Instead do unto others what has been done to you. Mwahhahaha

Which players from the above 6 teams would you take?. Please don't say players that wouldn't come like Terry or Gerrard, actually do, you'll look a right tit, or maybe a left one with a mole.

What other transfer policy, if any, would you like to partake in?.

GranTorino.gif

Back