• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tottenham vs Manchester United OMT

I don’t understand why Mourinho saying he was happy with the squad keeps getting referenced as if evidence he should be doing better? Practically every manager comes into a new club and says the same, they don’t start off at a new club announcing they want to get rid of half the squad. I shudder to think what would have been said about Mourinho on here had he joined and said he’s not happy with the squad and our defence is nowhere near good enough:D....

In which case he is a liar and twice the arsehole mate. There are many ways to soft-talk around that question on arrival, and he is no dummy. His "same players different manager" line will come back to haunt him...

I suspect from the outside, our squad did indeed look fine to him. Only once he got inside could he fully appreciate just how far some of the best players had fallen from their once lofty heights. His mistake was in thinking he could get a tune out of them. In that, he has certainly failed. But there is also some truth in the fact that you can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear.
There are people who still say our squad is good enough now. I’ve heard them say we should be at least a CL team still
And there the same people saying Kane should leave to go to a better squad and reference United and Chelsea.
It’s an odd balance
So the squad is good enough in their view, but actually it’s not
What they ultimately want to say is Jose is crap, but they know their sounding like
Broken records on that front or are scared to say it
And by people mean people on sky and the athletic for starters
At least Jamie Redknapp had the balls to put the blame on the manager

He's a has-been trumper.

Let's look at the squad.
You're telling me that -
Ndombele
LoCelso
Reguillon
Bergwijn
Rodon
Sanchez
Skipp
Dele
Sessegnon

are all sow's ears?

Add

Kane
Son
Lloris

for the experienced

Add

Moura
Lamela
Winks
Dier
Aurier

as personal calls either way.

Leave

Bale
Davies

out of it altogether.

You're telling me that squad needs a complete overhaul? Not having it. At all. Three incomings plus a few squad outgoings plus a manager who has an identity beyond his past and fear-mongering is what we need.
One decent CB there in Rodon and that’s if he fulfils his potential.
The first thing a new manager would do is get better CBS in. It’s actually a positive to know exactly where we need to improve as it means we can focus on it. In the past it was always hard to work out exactly what changes were needed

He's a has-been trumper.

Let's look at the squad.
You're telling me that -
Ndombele
LoCelso
Reguillon
Bergwijn
Rodon
Sanchez
Skipp
Dele
Sessegnon

are all sow's ears?

Add

Kane
Son
Lloris

for the experienced

Add

Moura
Lamela
Winks
Dier
Aurier

Leave

Bale
Davies

out of it altogether.

You're telling me that squad needs a complete overhaul? Not having it. At all. Three incomings plus a few squad outgoings plus a manager who has an identity beyond his past and fear-mongering is what we need.
Sorry Stef I don’t think anyone said anything about a complete overhaul by or perhaps ive missed that? But we do need a defensive makeover. Being solid at the back is crucial for any team bar City, look at how Van Dijk elevated Liverpool - it makes a massive difference. I don’t see a top 6 side with worse CB options than us. And I was discussing why bringing up what Mourinho said when he came in doesn’t really evidence that the team should be doing better, I do agree we should be performing better but Mourinhos misgivings doesn’t hide the fact certain areas of the squad have been neglected and aren’t good enough....

A key part of him getting the job was because he was telling Levy we were under performing and he'd do better with the squad - i mean it's pretty obvious why it keeps getting referenced.
I have no idea to what he was telling Levy, fair play if you do and if that’s what he told him he was right. We was 14th when Poch was sacked, I don’t recall us being that low since;)....

I have no idea to what he was telling Levy, fair play if you do and if that’s what he told him he was right. We was 14th when Poch was sacked, I don’t recall us being that low since;)....

One manager was telling us we needed a rebuild whilst the other said we could challenge for the title the following season. I doubt very much what was being said to the chairman any much different.

We all know Levy took the cheaper option of changing managers rather than backing a rebuild.

Sorry Stef I don’t think anyone said anything about a complete overhaul by or perhaps ive missed that? But we do need a defensive makeover. Being solid at the back is crucial for any team bar City, look at how Van Dijk elevated Liverpool - it makes a massive difference. I don’t see a top 6 side with worse CB options than us. And I was discussing why bringing up what Mourinho said when he came in doesn’t really evidence that the team should be doing better, I do agree we should be performing better but Mourinhos misgivings doesn’t hide the fact certain areas of the squad have been neglected and aren’t good enough....
Look at how Diaz has changed city

If you say so. There were only two of his signings ( and a loanee) in the starting X1 on Sunday. On that basis , the greatest manager in PL history, SAF wouldn't have lasted at Man U.

Look, I don't like his tactics, team selections and management style either. But the squad he inherited really isn't down to him.
Regi, Hojbjerg, Rodon and Lo Celso makes four.... He chooses not to play Bergwijn that would make 5. He chooses not to play Bale that would make 6. He also has Doherty who could make 7, but It’s probably for the best he doesn’t play as he is dogbrick.

I suspect from the outside, our squad did indeed look fine to him. Only once he got inside could he fully appreciate just how far some of the best players had fallen from their once lofty heights. His mistake was in thinking he could get a tune out of them. In that, he has certainly failed. But there is also some truth in the fact that you can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear.
So we go back to how much of a shame it was that the chairman listened to the bloke touting for the £15m a year job instead of the incumbent manager at the time who told him exactly that.

He's a has-been trumper.

Let's look at the squad.
You're telling me that -
Ndombele
LoCelso
Reguillon
Bergwijn
Rodon
Sanchez
Skipp
Dele
Sessegnon

are all sow's ears?

Add

Kane
Son
Lloris

for the experienced

Add

Moura
Lamela
Winks
Dier
Aurier

Leave

Bale
Davies

out of it altogether.

Regretfully most of those players are simply not CL standard. Some are too old, some are too inexperienced, some are well past their sell by date and most simply aren't good enough and wouldn't make it into United, City, Chelsea or Liverpool teams as they simply have better standard current players.

Our recruitment has been completely appalling for a number of years. We have lacked a strong spine for a long time. A commanding goal keeper, a dominating CB, a bully in midfield and a beast of a Centre forward who can play with or rotate with Kane. Once we get a strong spine we will stop being spineless. Then some of the other players we have may be able to show themselves up to being able to add the sparkle. Only then will we have the chance to be a strong team.

Last edited:

No-one is arguing certain areas need an upgrade. But some people think we need a "complete rebuild" and yes mate, it has been said.

I think only Ray Charles cannot see that we need a left-sided CB. I admit that my faith in the potential to rehab Sanchez is quirky and quite possibly flawed.

Regretfully most of those players are simply not CL standard. Some are too old, some are too inexperienced, some are well past their sell by date and most simply aren't good enough and wouldn't make it into United, City, Chelsea or Liverpool teams as they simply have better standard current players. Our recruitment has been completely appalling for a number of years.

I would love to see the list of players you think are beyond salvation.

There are people who still say our squad is good enough now. I’ve heard them say we should be at least a CL team still
And there the same people saying Kane should leave to go to a better squad and reference United and Chelsea.
It’s an odd balance
So the squad is good enough in their view, but actually it’s not
What they ultimately want to say is Jose is crap, but they know their sounding like
Broken records on that front or are scared to say it
And by people mean people on sky and the athletic for starters
At least Jamie Redknapp had the balls to put the blame on the manager

Not clear on the point you're making here mate? Are you agreeing with Redknapp or not?

Regretfully most of those players are simply not CL standard. Some are too old, some are too inexperienced, some are well past their sell by date and most simply aren't good enough and wouldn't make it into United, City, Chelsea or Liverpool teams as they simply have better standard current players.

Our recruitment has been completely appalling for a number of years. We have lacked a strong spine for a long time. A commanding goal keeper, a dominating CB, a bully in midfield and a hunk of burning love of a Centre forward who can play with or rotate with Kane. Once we get a strong spine we will stop being spineless. Then some of the other players we have may be able to show themselves up to being able to add the sparkle. Only then will we have the chance to be a strong team.
You’re aware of who our owners are and the astronomical debt we’re carrying right?

You’re aware of who our owners are and the astronomical debt we’re carrying right?

How much did we spend gross under Poch? Last window under him was a total shocker. Two wingers sent immediately out on loan, a player who even Poch said wouldn't be ready for two years and another onefoooted Argentinian. How much have we continued to spunk on Bale, Bergwyn, Doherty, Vinni, and Reggie when we had much much more pressing needs. It's not the quantum spent it's the actual players bought that was and is the problem

Back