• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Toby Alderweireld

Question is will his frustration impact on his performance? Looking back there were times last season when his commitment seemed less than 400%, which may have accounted for his increased susceptibility to errors.

If he is a professional he should channel any frustration into commitment and drive, as Suarez did for Liverpool, Ronaldo for Manchester United when they didn't manage to force their transfers through on first attempt.
It would be nigh on professional suicide for him to sulk and play poorly if the move does not happen this time.
If he is 30 and has ruled the Premier leage and is available for transfer that is one thing. If he is 30, and has been brick and not committed that is quite another thing. He has to perform.

Question is will his frustration impact on his performance? Looking back there were times last season when his commitment seemed less than 400%, which may have accounted for his increased susceptibility to errors.

Thats the million dollar question.

As others have said, its certainly in his interests to perform though - Im not sure he can afford to sulk.

We really need to move away from this thinking as ironically i think it is that what is small time - if Alderwiereld wants United and they want him then the deal should have been struck during last season to conclude when the window opens - we then get on with improving our team with the added 50-60m or whatever is.

fudge United, if they don't get him they'll blow big money on some other highly rated player anyway - biting our nose off to spite our face by keeping hold of a player we aren't going to use isn't making a stand or a point, it's just holding us back and making us look petty.

I agree with the sentiment and overall post but didn't we kind of already do that last season by not picking him? And not even having him on the bench? Not saying Sanchez should have been dropped but there were definitely occasions where we needed Toby, i'm thinking Juve in the CL and United in the FA Cup specifically.

Anyway, looks like he is staying put for now so hopefully Poch will reintegrate him into the squad.

Last edited:
Andrew Gaffney‏Verified account @GaffneyVLC 45s46 seconds ago
Yerry Mina and Andre Gomes passing their medicals in Barcelona alongside officials from Everton according to @gerardromero and @sport. #efc

I agree with the sentiment and overall post but didn't we kind of already do that last season by not picking him? And not even having him on the bench? Not saying Sanchez should have been dropped but there were definitely occasions where we need Toby, i'm thinking Juve in the CL and United in the FA Cup specifically.

Anyway, looks like he is staying put for now so hopefully Poch will reintegrate him into the squad.

I really can't see he has any choice but to. Playing devils advocate, I wonder if Poch will now feel hard done by having to play a player he effectively benched last season?

I agree with the sentiment and overall post but didn't we kind of already do that last season by not picking him? And not even having him on the bench? Not saying Sanchez should have been dropped but there were definitely occasions where we needed Toby, i'm thinking Juve in the CL and United in the FA Cup specifically.

Depends how you view it i suppose - i think once Alderwiereld decided he was off Poch prefered to invest time in the player who was going to be here long term

If he is a professional he should channel any frustration into commitment and drive, as Suarez did for Liverpool, Ronaldo for Manchester United when they didn't manage to force their transfers through on first attempt.
It would be nigh on professional suicide for him to sulk and play poorly if the move does not happen this time.
If he is 30 and has ruled the Premier leage and is available for transfer that is one thing. If he is 30, and has been brick and not committed that is quite another thing. He has to perform.
Problem is it's not always possible to know when distraction is affecting you. You may be trying your best but still be unable to achieve what you could before. That is what I am talking about.

I really can't see he has any choice but to. Playing devils advocate, I wonder if Poch will now feel hard done by having to play a player he effectively benched last season?

If he wants him gone, we just sell him to Italy over the course of the next 3 weeks.

Problem is it's not always possible to know when distraction is affecting you. You may be trying your best but still be unable to achieve what you could before. That is what I am talking about.

I agree with this. Happy to keep the squad as is. We clearly weren’t offered good deals for our players so we stay with what we have. What this means though is we’re hoping Rose, Dembele and Toby stay and keep the level that the rest of the squad is playing to. The whole relentless, push each other on aspect which comes when you are totally committed is something that’s been a big advantage to us for not having the money, but it will be interesting to see how Poch handles this.

Dembele won’t be an issue - other than if he can be fit enough to play. Rose...could go either way. Maybe we’ll still get him out. But Toby, if he doesn’t go to United, we are banking on him not disrupting that squad culture. Not that he would actively seek to disrupt it by causing problems, just that by not being 10000% bought in like the others, it could see standards drop.

Maybe Poch has to alter his management style somewhat this season. Rather than making players over perform through outrageous commitment, we just have to say we have a squad of quality players that other teams wanted and we need to push to win something with them. Not over performing because they are all high level. But it will be a difficult nuance to get right. How to maintain our long term standards while keeping someone like Toby, who doesn’t want to be here, motivated as well.

And maybe these are just the big boy problems that big clubs face. We’re at a level where not many players would improve us so we may often have to stick with what we have. Can we progress and compete even though not every player will be a 24 year old willing to run through brick walls for the Manager, with ultimate commitment to the plan, and knowing their whole career is ahead of them? Will be interesting!

Hopefully and think we will get Top4 this year
If thats the case and we can keep Poch for one more yeah thatll be the interesting point for me, we will have settled into the stadium, and will need to replace some of the older players who will be leaving, so will be forced into the market, that will tell us if we go after 50mil or 20mil players

Hopefully and think we will get Top4 this year
If thats the case and we can keep Poch for one more yeah thatll be the interesting point for me, we will have settled into the stadium, and will need to replace some of the older players who will be leaving, so will be forced into the market, that will tell us if we go after 50mil or 20mil players

That’s the thing people are missing under all the hysteria. Once these current players are gone and need replacing, we will absolutely move in the market. And probably have a summer of upheaval (not always great, but at least we’ll make loads of signings!!!).

As of now we’ve kept Dembele, and with Winks, Sissoko and Onomah also able to play that position, we have some depth, although I agree that can be improved. And we’ve kept Toby, so for this year we have great CB depth.

I am quite happy we have kept Toby, if he wants to leave in a years time so be it but he must know he will have to have a good season on the pitch to attract other teams. We know how good he can be so now its up to him to get into the team and play as well as he can.

He can leave to non UK team anytime in August I believe!

Depends how you view it i suppose - i think once Alderwiereld decided he was off Poch prefered to invest time in the player who was going to be here long term

I like Sanchez and I’m really glad Poch wasted no time in throwing him into the starting eleven.

Still think we could have also used Toby a lot more in addition to Sanchez and Verts. I honestly believe our relative lack of experience and young side is a factor as to why we sometimes fall short in the biggest games of the season.

I am quite happy we have kept Toby, if he wants to leave in a years time so be it but he must know he will have to have a good season on the pitch to attract other teams. We know how good he can be so now its up to him to get into the team and play as well as he can.

He has more or less said he was fit for most of the last part of last season's campaign, but could barely get a game, strongly hinting there was something not right there. Hopefully we can put it to bed, offer the guy a new contract, he'll sign, Poch is happy, Toby happy as can be, and we all move on and win the league. :D

Back