• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

the Tim Sherwood man love thread

I can't see this one happening though

Lee Hendrie: Tim Sherwood should hire Glenn Hoddle as his assistant
glenn-hoddle.jpg

© Getty Images
By Charlie Bennett, Reporter
Filed: Saturday, February 14, 2015 at 22:03 UK
Last Updated: Sunday, February 15, 2015 at 13:17 UK
Former Aston Villa midfielder Lee Hendrie has called on new manager Tim Sherwood to hire former England manager Glenn Hoddle as his assistant.

Sherwood was announced as Paul Lambert's replacement at Villa Park this afternoon, while Hoddle has recently left his role at Queens Park Rangers following the resignationof Harry Redknapp.

Hendrie told Sky Sports News: "It would be great to see someone like Hoddle, who's been there and done it.

"He has got the experience and can give him some guidance.Someone like him would be fantastic.He [Sherwood] will need someone who's been there and done it I think."

Villa currently sit 18th in the Premier League table and play Leicester City in the FA Cup fifth round on Sunday.

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/footbal...rie-urges-sherwood-to-hire-hoddle_205516.html

If he had a shred of decency, he would appoint Campbell, so that we could all unite again

:ross::ross::ross:

You can put your head in the sand and ignore what he did well at Spurs, but he showed A LOT more tactical intelligence than some of his predecessors, especially AVB. There were a few shockers (no DM in some of the big games was just ridiculous), now go name me a single manager in world football who doesn't have a few tactical shockers per season.

For a guy in his first season in management, he sure got a lot of things tactically correct - http://www.glory-glory.co.uk/community/threads/tim-sherwoodgone-o.5527/page-208#post-512241

Say what you want about poor media/people management skills, but poor tactical skills was never a reason I didn't like Sherwood.

Some of you are already writing off anything he could do at Villa. "Their squad is way better than the other teams in the relegation scrap, ANYONE could keep them up" etc, so that if he does keep them up you can still slag him off as brick. I always thought of him as a bit of a prick, as a player, coach and manager for us, but from the level of hate he gets from some of our fan base you'd think he'd walked out on us to go play for Arsenal or something...

We continued to commit suicide at the back, we had absolutely no discernable pattern to our play, we were just horrible to watch and he tinkled off a number of our players. The only thing that made him look good was Ade deciding to give a fudge for about two months.

We continued to commit suicide at the back, we had absolutely no discernable pattern to our play, we were just horrible to watch and he tinkleed off a number of our players. The only thing that made him look good was Ade deciding to give a fudge for about two months.

Again - down to poor coaching and poor man management. Not poor tactics.

We continued to commit suicide at the back, we had absolutely no discernable pattern to our play, we were just horrible to watch and he tinkleed off a number of our players. The only thing that made him look good was Ade deciding to give a fudge for about two months.
Precisely.

Captain Bellend got lucky in that one of the PL's best strikers didn't like his previous boss and wanted to prove a point. Other than that we were woeful.

Eriksen improved under him and Bentaleb and Kane were also positives. I agree that we were shapeless and his media handling and sideline antics were a disaster. In mitigation, all of the players knowing that he was only around until the summer made his job more difficult.

Precisely.

Captain Bellend got lucky in that one of the PL's best strikers didn't like his previous boss and wanted to prove a point. Other than that we were woeful.

Old ground this, but it's not the whole story. Adebayor started really well under Sherwood, then he levelled out towards the end -- but the points total from Sherwood's first 8 league games was 17. From his last 8, it was 16 points. So, on fire Ade or so-so Ade, the points gained were almost the same.

We scored a lot more goals at home Sherwood (compared to AVB). Infact, in the last 4 home league games of his reign, we scored 14 goals (winning those last 4 home games to boot). Ade only got 3 of them, and 1 of them was a penalty.

Eriksen scored quite a few under Sherwood iirc.

I think where you see his lack of tactical acumen is when we played teams who were better than us. We basically got beat every time. Fast-forward to Poch, and we are now beating the top sides again, at least some of the time.

Overall, he got good results and the team scored goals -- but he was too divisive and handled PR badly, so he had to go really. As I said earlier in the thread, we'll see what he's made of in the Villa job.

It is really stupid by Villa to appoint a young and unproven manager like Sherwood when they are in the relegation zone now. They need someone who have experience and good track record of saving teams from relegation. It is even more stupid of Sherwood to become the manager of a relegation threathened team with only 13 matches to go. If Villa end up getting relegated, it will be a big black mark on Sherwood in his first job as the manager.

Don't think he could have gotten a better job than this. Most teams that sack their managers do so because they're threatened by relegation. Bigger clubs doing so because they're not achieving higher goals are beyond Sherwood. Of the relegation candidates Villa seems like a solid choice in terms of both current playing squad and potential for long term improvement. Regression to the mean will be seen as great success. I'm a bit surprised Villa went for him, but I suppose their options were limited.

Overall I think it is a good job for him. The underinvestment is obviously an issue but he was never going to get a bigger job in terms of club size. It's almost a blank canvas for him. If he can bring a few decent players for good money in the summer, probably sell Benteke off to bring in some funds then he could do alright there. Expectations will be low so he will be given time to sort out the squad I would imagine.

A quick summary of his first press conference (thanks to someone on VillaTalk that bothered to watch it):

Wants us to play on the front foot.

When he came to play here as a player, it was a difficult place to come to, and he wants VP to return to its former "fortress" state.

Says the job is a fantastic opportunity and we're a huge club, honoured to get the role.

Spoke to Lerner briefly, Fox at length. Likes the vision he has for the club, the philosophy this season is going to be very different to the philosophy in the long run (cheeky smile).

Randy is taking a back seat, Fox is in charge.

We've got good players, good ability, need to get the right players on the ball.

He wants Benteke to be integral to our play.

Going to make sure we don't drop into the Championship.

Not in this position for no reason.

Going to choose his team based on what he sees in training.

Training tomorrow, he is going to BMH today to begin planning.

Agrees with Paul Lambert's statement about 13 cup finals - but says he wants 14 cup finals, the other on being the FA Cup.

Describes his time at Tottenham as a success, says he knows how to win games and galvanise players, which is what he is going to do here.

Back to Benteke, he says he needs a goal and he needs confidence. However, says it is not a one man team even if he is an important player, but we do need him back to his old self - also says "the best clubs in the world" wanted to buy Benteke after his first season.

Hasn't seen a lot of the academy here, but he does believe in giving the younger players the opportunity. Says do not expect any U18 players to play on Saturday, it is more of a long term plan but in the short term we have cup finals to win.

TS getting this role is hilarious!

You have to wonder what Lerner and his board are thinking? They must be that desperate to see what good there is in the Villa team/club go up in smoke.

It'll be interesting to see which of these type of soundbites comes out of TS' mouth first:

- "We got no leaders at this club, too many of them are too nice"
- "The players have a got to take a hard look at themselves"
- "This aint my team, none of them are my players so I'm doing the best I can"
- "This club aint done nothing for years, so people are gonna need to get a reality check of where we are right now"

I just feel sorry for the Villa fans...

Popcorn ready!

Gonna be interesting to see who he takes in there with him. He said he wants an assistant manager and a first team coach.

This thread not getting any more posts after February ?

Well, thats a little extreme maybe. Instead, how about putting a ban on certain posters from posting on this thread after Feb? Or maybe restricting them to one post a month or something like that. You know, quality vs. quantity and all that. Then who knows, you may 'see a return to some mean discussion in here' (assuming there ever was any, and assuming that really is the goal).:):):)

Back