• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Space Thread

As someone very talented once sang: "Could it be that I have found my home at last?"

I deeply dig this stuff and get feelings of jealousy when I see these kinds of explorations going on. When I was young, this - space travel - was going to be my chosen field. Happily, I learned early that, although likely smart enough to study and work in this field, I didn't remotely have the academic discipline to create such tightly buttoned down decisions these sort of scientists make every day.

Man. To pull of the landing of this car-sized rover, fully intact and functional, all that distance from earth, is absolutely mind boggling. Chapeau, NASA.

That isn't this mission, it is the last one. The rover hasn't moved yet, so cannot have tyre tracks. And the music/noise is fake.
Yes, it's a 360 from Curiosity. Didn't say it was from Perseverance. The sound is not fake as such. It's interpolated from data received. So not like live recorded sound, but still not fake.
Perseverance has real audio recording hardware, and is supposed to be able to send video with audio back to earth, when it gets going.
It has now also released the flying drone that it carried, and its currently on the ground, charging with it's solar panels.

It really is.

I wondered what happened to that part of the spacecraft pictured just after it had delivered and released perseverance.

I am sure had that landed or been intended to land in a controlled fashion we would have heard. They could have put some science in it.

Edit: just looked it up and it crashed as intended- serves no function.

Last edited:
Man, can you imagine how exciting it would be to get up each morning, rocket out of bed, devour breakfast and race into the office to see the latest developments in this incredible project? I'm sure there will be days with many mundane moments - filled by charting the velocity and trajectory of Dele's overhead kick goal - but still, we're talking about exploring another planet. I'd be like the biggest kid in there.

I've seen a number of cool videos showing interviews with the personnel who helped design and build the rover and the drone. Amazing stuff. Such talented people and such a diverse group of men and women from all creeds and cultures who all exhibit intelligence and curiousity.

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/jpl/meet-the-people-behind-nasas-perseverance-rover

You can track the daily movements of the Perseverance on this page, which offers hi-def, zoomable imagery of the Martian surface around the rover's locations:

https://mars.nasa.gov/maps/location/?mission=M20

Man, can you imagine how exciting it would be to get up each morning, rocket out of bed, devour breakfast and race into the office to see the latest developments in this incredible project? I'm sure there will be days with many mundane moments - filled by charting the velocity and trajectory of Dele's overhead kick goal - but still, we're talking about exploring another planet. I'd be like the biggest kid in there.

I've seen a number of cool videos showing interviews with the personnel who helped design and build the rover and the drone. Amazing stuff. Such talented people and such a diverse group of men and women from all creeds and cultures who all exhibit intelligence and curiousity.

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/jpl/meet-the-people-behind-nasas-perseverance-rover

You can track the daily movements of the Perseverance on this page, which offers hi-def, zoomable imagery of the Martian surface around the rover's locations:

https://mars.nasa.gov/maps/location/?mission=M20

did you know the science team have now got to keep Martian time. Mars takes half an hour extra to rotate - so their schedule changes every day. Curiosity rover is still going after ten years lol....

It really is.

I wondered what happened to that part of the spacecraft pictured just after it had delivered and released perseverance.

I am sure had that landed or been intended to land in a controlled fashion we would have heard. They could have put some science in it.

Edit: just looked it up and it crashed as intended- serves no function.
Perserverence even got a picture of it

After all the fcukin' political and societal horseschit of the past five or so years, it really is wonderful to have something to watch that celebrates the best of what mankind can do.

Back