• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The London Taxpayers' Stadium Shambles

Re: O/T West Ham Named Olympic Stadium Preferred Bidders

I'll say again - even if West Ham do attract a wealthy, new owner on the back of moving into the Olympic stadium, that owner will not be able to lavish their wealth on the club to anything like the extent that Abramovich and Mansour have lavished their wealth on their clubs. FFP has seen to that. Yes, I know that FFP isn't perfect. But it isn't toothless either.

Ironically, the one way in which a fantastically wealthy owner could have massively helped West Ham is to have built a brand new stadium for them. That, of course, is no longer necessary. And, as a result, West Ham fans will forever (well, for the duration of their lifetimes, at least) have to put up with an unsatisfactory compromise of a stadium that leaves them considerably further from the pitch than they would be at a proper football stadium - even with retractable seating.

O/T West Ham Get Olympic Stadium

Did anyone watch the footballer football show last week with David Gold on it, he admitted that the club would be giving away "tens of thousands of tickets away for free every home game" LOL.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/...llip-Beard-guest-on-Footballers-Football-Show

When I heard this I did wonder whether those clubs around that area could not take to court as its clear that it will affect others.. specifically Orient.

Last edited:
Re: Northumberland Development Project

Did anyone watch the footballer football show last week with David Gold on it, he admitted that the club would be giving away "tens of thousands of tickets away for free every home game" LOL.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/...llip-Beard-guest-on-Footballers-Football-Show

When I heard this I did wonder whether those clubs around that area could not take to court as its clear that it will affect others.. specifically Orient.

Apart from drugs I don't think that particular marketing ploy has every been very succesful. Don't see watching Spammers as addictive as drugs "Moore than a Football Club" yeah benefit scroungers

Apart from drugs I don't think that particular marketing ploy has every been very succesful. Don't see watching Spammers as addictive as drugs "Moore than a Football Club" yeah benefit scroungers

Massive amount of house building going on around there. I aggre with the previous poster that it is very unfair on orient, really west ham should not have been allowed that close to them. I think if they were in the championship they would not have been allowed to move within 3 miles of orient but because they are in the premier league it is unfairly allowed.

Quite possibly the worst-managed stadium project in any major city in the civilised world. Now they're chucking cart loads of cash at it trying to save all the big egos and fulfill all those lame, aimless legacy promises. And giving a barnyard operation of a football club a subsidized ground. The whole thing is a joke.

Quite possibly the worst-managed stadium project in any major city in the civilised world. Now they're chucking cart loads of cash at it trying to save all the big egos and fulfill all those lame, aimless legacy promises. And giving a barnyard operation of a football club a subsidized ground. The whole thing is a joke.

The stadium project was managed fine.

It was built on time and on budget.

The problem was that the politicians kept on changing their minds as to the legacy use of the stadium. It was originally designed to be two thirds dismantled after the Olympics and to become a 25K athletics specific stadium. It was a perfectly reasonable solution. But when Boris became mayor, he decided that the stadium should remain intact and that a football club tenant should be found. But by then, of course, construction was well under way and it was too late to change the design to suit a football club. And that is what has led to all the problems - belated political interference.

If you really want to see a badly managed stadium project, then look no further than the new Zenit St Petersburg stadium. Six years into construction and they're probably still two years away from completing it. A corrupt fudge up of monumental proportions.

still running full page ads in the Metro and Evening Standard trying to shift tickets for their cup final on Sunday and they want a bigger stadium? :ross:

still running full page ads in the Metro and Evening Standard trying to shift tickets for their cup final on Sunday and they want a bigger stadium? :ross:

I laughed at the "Almost sold out for the 12th home game in a row" line, its like they are proud of the fact, what it doesnt say is that there are thousands of kids for a quid sold for every game

'Moore than a club'

They have their cup final the day after the 20th Anniversary of the death of their greatest player & the tickets have gone on general sale.

A bit sad really.

The stadium project was managed fine.

It was built on time and on budget.

The problem was that the politicians kept on changing their minds as to the legacy use of the stadium. It was originally designed to be two thirds dismantled after the Olympics and to become a 25K athletics specific stadium. It was a perfectly reasonable solution. But when Boris became mayor, he decided that the stadium should remain intact and that a football club tenant should be found. But by then, of course, construction was well under way and it was too late to change the design to suit a football club. And that is what has led to all the problems - belated political interference.

If you really want to see a badly managed stadium project, then look no further than the new Zenit St Petersburg stadium. Six years into construction and they're probably still two years away from completing it. A corrupt fudge up of monumental proportions.

You'd think after the financial fiasco of Wembley, someone would have learned. By the time they've finished pouring money into the place, you'll have an absolute dog's dinner of football stadium for the price of two really decent 60k grounds. That's not good managment.

It may well have been built on time and on budget, but once they did the site prep and set the lower bowl in, it was actually a really simple stadium to construct, so no real kudos for being on time or on budget. It was already massively overpriced for what was delivered.

Given the wealth and expertise available, for a city like London that 's not acceptable.

Considering the Commonwealth games was a great success considering the stadium legacy, its shocking how bad they got the Olympic stadium.

Lord Coe has to take some of the blame for his fudging delusory notion that people would suddenly want to flock to a non-existent series of major athletics events on a regular basis. Had he not put his fantasy oar in the stadium might have been planned from the outset with a tad more commercial realism.

Without the vision of an athletics legacy, we wouldn't have got the Olympics in the first place.

That's the trouble with the Olympics and World Cup. They want to make a big statement and leave a legacy. So a place with all the necessary infrastructure is at a disadvantage, e.g. England's world cup bid. I'm sure it is for the highest motives and nothing to do with the construction business and the tradition of kickbacks,

Yep. Very annoying. 2016 not long away at all. Retractable seating so they won't be as far away from the pitch...

The upper tier will stay where it is though. Just like this stadium in aus.

rectracable.jpg

Only 15 million toward the renovations and then just 2mill a year for rent. Cheeky f**kers.

Will definitely be interesting to see if they are still in the Premier League by then and how many they get turn up. I can imagine every school kid in London will be receiving an invite!

PS. Any NP news? This thread has become a damp squid..

Back