1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Please read this post: https://www.glory-glory.co.uk/community/threads/fund-raising-for-jeremy-yermiyahu.10542/
    Dismiss Notice

The Centre Back thread

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by Kingdawson, 15 Aug 2013.

1. glorygloryeze

glorygloryeze Paul Walsh

Re: Central defenders

Tbf, when there isn't much protection in front of the back 4, the tactics leave them too open or a key player in the back four makes silly mistakes/passes etc you can have all the leadership you want they may simply be no substitute for the quality that the opposition may have to exploit.

"Lack of leadership" is an easy thing to bring up when we lose (not really mentioned when we win).
    For example, we lost against Arsenal 5-2 in that infamous game in Feb 2012; did Ledley King show a "lack of leadership" in that game? Or were his weaknesses exploited (along with our managers inept tactics at the time)?

2. P.D.

P.D. Vedran Corluka

Fazio was the Seville captain.

3. P.D.

P.D. Vedran Corluka

Would like this. He's a good player. Surprised they would sell him.

4. DHSF

DHSF Les Ferdinand

I agree with the midfield needing to provide protection and at the moment it really isnt.

In regards to the leadership thing, you may not need it as much when beating QPR at home, but when playing teams like Liverpool etc you do, and those games will be the difference between top four/top six or below and the difference between getting hammere 3-0 or losing 1-0. I think good teams have very good leadership, Emirates Marketing Project have Kompany or Chelsea have Terry (no matter how much you dislike him) to name but two.

You mention the 5-2, not every game will we win with great leadership at the back but you will have greater success than not with it. We have no onne at the back or even in midfield who will take the bull by the horns and organise and lead thats just my view. Yesterday we looked fairly weak and aimless when defending.

Anyways as Fazio was the captain at Seville who knows maybe he is the guy

5. diego_maradona

diego_maradona Steffen Iversen Staff Member

Watching the Germany and Argentina game and Germany have brought on a kid calked Antonio Rudiger. He looks really good! Plays for Stuttgart. One to keep an eye on

6. Superhudd

Superhudd Simon Davies

Has Hector Moreno had much game time since the injury in the World Cup.. Noticed tonight he was on the bench. Sneaky bid!

7. Gutter Boy

Gutter Boy Tim Sherwood

I think he's featured in 6 or so games, though mainly as sub and sometimes at DM rather than CB

I think this could definitely happen if we shift Kaboul and/or Chiriches

8. AdamB

AdamB Erik Thorstvedt

With Dier looking very comfortable in the last couple games, Moreno in and both Kaboul and Chiriches leaving wouldnt be a disaster at all

9. braineclipse

braineclipse Gary Stevens

Agreed.

10. spurspinter1

spurspinter1 Chris Armstrong

I think Chiriches has proved himself quite capable at RB, also in a David Luiz way I suppose I'd like to see what he can do in a DM position. Really think people are overestimating the intended impact of Yedlin this season and selling Vlad would leave us short there

11. braineclipse

braineclipse Gary Stevens

Solid point, and I wouldn't mind Vlad staying at all.

Suppose it would depend on how highly Poch rates Yedlin after seeing him training for a couple of weeks. If he doesn't rate either him or Dier as capable backups for Walker at this point then selling Vlad would be silly. If Poch thinks those two are good enough then letting Vlad go might be fine.

12. glorygloryeze

glorygloryeze Paul Walsh

Does anybody seem likely to take Kaboul off our hands right now?

13. Cochise

Cochise Steve Carr

Besiktas were rumoured a few weeks back, but that has gone cold. Personally I don't think he's going anywhere. We may end up having to wait until he leaves on a free.

14. Gutter Boy

Gutter Boy Tim Sherwood

I think it was all set except the clubs couldn't quite agree a fee. I think it will be revisited as the deadline approaches.

I wonder if any of Corluka, Modric, Krancjar or Redknapp have been involved in making it happen with their links to both Kaboul and Bilic?

He's clearly now behind Dier too in the pecking order, so staying is not a great option for him.

15. AdamB

AdamB Erik Thorstvedt

Problem with this is that next season we dont need three senior RBs and Walker is going nowhere and Yedlin just arrived. So he has no future at Spurs as a RB. We've also seen that he's not up to playing CB in the PL

Additionally, I'd rather us sign midfielders to play in midfield (or use young CMs to play in midfield) rather than put someone there who can just do a job. I dont think trying to convert someone mid-career is a sensible approach

As a result, if it were up to me and a sensible offer came in for VC in Jan I would take it. Realistically I can see him being at Spurs til the summer given there's only 8 days left and there dont seem to be many/any rumours about him going. He'll probably get a few games in a his best position (right back) but from next season I would expect Yedlin to be ahead of him and VC to be sold

16. ricky2tricky4city

ricky2tricky4city Rafael Van Der Vaart

With Naughton gone (going?) I'd keep Vlad until the summer as RB/CB option.

But if we were to get rid of Kaboul and Capoue and Paulinho (or just 2 of them) then perhaps Moreno is worth looking at now, seeing as he can be a CB and DM option. All 3 could go and just Moreno added and i'd be happy

17. Superhudd

Superhudd Simon Davies

I want Yedlin to start tomorrow or the very least on the bench, thus surpassing Chiriches.

Chiriches only plays IMO from here as a shop window display player.

18. billyiddo

billyiddo Garth Crooks Staff Member

He'll play because he's our best option at RB if Walker is injured

19. harr1984

harr1984 Pedro Mendes

Do you actually believe players get picked so potential buyers can see what they can do?