• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

VAR: Sponsored by Chelsea

I can remember a few which were reviewed and the decision on the field stood, there was a penalty review against England right on HT at one point.

Also, didn't Neymar not getting a penalty get VAR reviewed too?

That one was interesting, because it was so subtle. The ref was just running back and it was the commentary that was saying "this is currently under VAR review" and a few moments later "Obviously nothing came of that".

Perhaps the VAR reviews were more frequent that we initially understood? Clearly not all are a case of game stopping, ref going across, time being taken checking out...

That one was interesting, because it was so subtle. The ref was just running back and it was the commentary that was saying "this is currently under VAR review" and a few moments later "Obviously nothing came of that".

Perhaps the VAR reviews were more frequent that we initially understood? Clearly not all are a case of game stopping, ref going across, time being taken checking out...
There was a system with lights wasn't there? I'm sure those at the stadium could tell when there was a review and when the light went out then if the ref didn't blow it was unchanged.

There was a system with lights wasn't there? I'm sure those at the stadium could tell when there was a review and when the light went out then if the ref didn't blow it was unchanged.
I think it was just on the commentators screen, they got a green light when it was under review and red when the review was over or something.
Absolutely ridiculous; it should be a blue light for VAR on, then light blue for VAR discussion, then dark blue for ref jogging to booth, then mauve for repeated replays, then white with a purple shadow for reversed decision.

I had the best referee I've ever had this weekend gone. The interesting thing was that his judgements were often quite poor. But he was a brilliant communicator. So even the ones he got clearly wrong, he went 'ok lads from my position it looked like X and Y happened', 'I heard two noises so my best interpretation is that it's a throw-in to Z' etc. I've never known a game flow so well or played in such a good spirit.

Basically it just reinforced to me how little the technicalities of the decision matter compared to the relationship with the players, and the value of transparency on fallibility as the way to prevent feelings of injustice

Several goals chalked off wrongly this weekend. Including one against Spurs. Only a matter of time til we get VAR.
At which point 98% of calls will be correct, rather than the current 94%

And the anti-VAR-Luddites will go nuts about that 2% that are still wrong

Several goals chalked off wrongly this weekend. Including one against Spurs. Only a matter of time til we get VAR.
At which point 98% of calls will be correct, rather than the current 94%

And the anti-VAR-Luddites will go nuts about that 2% that are still wrong

That debate is over!

It will never be over.

For some, football peaked in the 1980s. For them, "heart" will always best talent, gut instinct will always best cold, hard evidence, character will always best intelligence and tradition will always best improvement.

They will never accept VAR.

“They” can Foxtrot Oscar :cool:

Back