• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

VAR: Sponsored by Chelsea

Regardless, it seemed during this WC that very close-range handball incidents were much more likely to be penalised than they are in the PL. From memory there were a number of occasions when UK commentators scoffed at such decisions.
Yes, it depends where the ref is from. I have said before that Sid Lowe on the Spanish football podcast says that in Spain if it hits your hand regardless of motion its pretty much a penalty every time.

Something like the above is very hard to call, it is a 50:50 or 60:40 or whatever, so the ref just makes a call, that is fine... that isn't really at the heart of VAR.

What VAR should stop is the 90:10 and 100:0 decisions being wrong, where almost everyone thinks it is (or isn't) an offence... these are the calls that must be got right.

You can never get the situation above "right" because it is 50:50, so you just have to live with whatever decision is given.

In the CL qualifier between Rosenborg and Valur the ref has just awarded a pen to the away team for handball, but looking at the discussion between him and his assistant it's obvious neither clearly saw what happened. The ball hit the player's face, although his arms were raised. Valur would go through on away goals if it finishes like this .

92nd minute and third pen for handball this match. Ball falls from the sky and graces a player's arm. Bendtner sends Rosenborg through (most likely).

Ridiculous refereeing in that game! Never seen such a utterly useless display by a ref, even in games that were rigged! If that clown gets to ref anything other than fuzzball, UEFA should just dissolve themselves.

The issue with this early video clips is their slow motion... anything can look different in slow motion which is not a natural view point

And my point on it is yes his hand goes towards the ball... but his hand was going down after jumping which is natural, and watching it at real time the whole thing took a second ... the slomo takes about 4

The issue with this early video clips is their slow motion... anything can look different in slow motion which is not a natural view point

And my point on it is yes his hand goes towards the ball... but his hand was going down after jumping which is natural, and watching it at real time the whole thing took a second ... the slomo takes about 4
The ref watched it over and over at full speed - you could see that on the screen.

What the full speed doesn't show so well is that he moves his hand and leg at the same time - clearly within his reaction time and an intentional action.

The ref watched it over and over at full speed - you could see that on the screen.

What the full speed doesn't show so well is that he moves his hand and leg at the same time - clearly within his reaction time and an intentional action.

I never saw that

All I’ve seen since is slo mo replays

People keep making this statement, but honestly I just think its gonad*s.

Yes, we all know slow-mo makes things look worse. So think about it. If WE ALL KNOW, then so do the refs. You know, those guys whose job it is to make decisions on these situations. Who will be spending time reviewing games and decisions etc. Who will be collaborating together. Who will have been involved in the actual function and spec of VAR.

Is it not just a little bit silly to assume they are incapable of factoring in the nature of slow-mo when reviewing things?

For me, in general, slow-mo is best used for timing and deviation.

Did the touch the ball? Yes - I can see clearly that point at which it subtley changed direction.
Did he get the ball or the player? Yes - I can see clearly his foot striking the ball before the player.
Was it a dive? Yes - I can see clearly there was no contact... you get the idea.

On this particular call I think it is obvious in slow mo the players hand deviates toward the ball, with his palm opening to contact.

The ref should be watching in full speed as a default, and then slow mo as an option where necessary.

In short, I wish people would stop making excuses about slow mo

(general rant, nothing personal mate!)

People keep making this statement, but honestly I just think its gonads.

Yes, we all know slow-mo makes things look worse. So think about it. If WE ALL KNOW, then so do the refs. You know, those guys whose job it is to make decisions on these situations. Who will be spending time reviewing games and decisions etc. Who will be collaborating together. Who will have been involved in the actual function and spec of VAR.

Is it not just a little bit silly to assume they are incapable of factoring in the nature of slow-mo when reviewing things?

For me, in general, slow-mo is best used for timing and deviation.

Did the touch the ball? Yes - I can see clearly that point at which it subtley changed direction.
Did he get the ball or the player? Yes - I can see clearly his foot striking the ball before the player.
Was it a dive? Yes - I can see clearly there was no contact... you get the idea.

On this particular call I think it is obvious in slow mo the players hand deviates toward the ball, with his palm opening to contact.

The ref should be watching in full speed as a default, and then slow mo as an option where necessary.

In short, I wish people would stop making excuses about slow mo

(general rant, nothing personal mate!)

Never personal :)

As soon as it went VAR I said to my mates he is giving it

They reversed every call that they went to VAR on from memory that was a penalty (awarded ones not given and reversed ones that were) if I remember correctly

I can remember a few which were reviewed and the decision on the field stood, there was a penalty review against England right on HT at one point.

Also, didn't Neymar not getting a penalty get VAR reviewed too?

Back