• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The 2010s

Robbo

Les Ferdinand
How was it? Tell us all about your great achievements and biggest failures here.

Me; I basically settled down, got married, had kids and a cat, bought a house, found a stable job, etc. I'm a lot more boring now than in 2010. Drink less, party less, go to sleep earlier, live a healthier life overall.

Basically your average youngish man approaching middle age. :oops:

I spend way too much time on my smartphone though. That's something I envy 2010 me. I didn't have that clamp on my foot. Otherwise I'm pretty happy with the last decade. I'd give it a 9/10.

Started the decade with a 9 month back packing trip and came back with ideas of spending the rest of my twenties globe trotting with a view to eventually settling down somewhere far flung and exotic - which of course never happened, although Lewisham is a little exotic in places so there is that i guess. Not pressing on with those plans is a bit of regret you could say but im doing well at work where new potential has opened up the last couple of years which i had never considered a possibility before, which is definite plus point for the decade - have also bought a house with my long term partner with kids being the next step, being secure enough to buy a house in London was never really a consideration either at the start of the 2010s so another win there.

7/10 - as i really do regret the lack of travelling

Got together with the missus in January 2010, she's awesome, and my biggest "achievement", I would say. There's not a lot of girls like her around, that's for sure. We got a kid together in 2015, who's also awesome, and I love him to bits. What else? Got a new degree, got a new job (that I actually like), started medication against a long lasting depression that actually worked, bought an apartment with the missus last year, have gotten a brick ton of new hobbies (to the point that I don't have enough spare time - which is quite nice, actually). I've also gotten my music released, it's been played on the radio (in the UK!), it's been bought and used in a documentary, and I've sold a bit of paintings/drawings I've made, which I guess you could say is some sort of achievement.

Biggest failure? I don't know. It sucks that I spent so much time being depressed without realizing I could do something about it. It took me way too long to seek help, so I would say that's my biggest failure (but it's all forgotten now).

Graduated university in the early 2010s. Travelled the world for a while - watched the sun set at temples nestled in the snow-capped Himalayas. Wandered the back roads of New England amidst a blaze of red and the gentle chill of the early fall. Sat at a bar and watched humanity flow by the lights at Times Square at 2 AM. That sort of thing. Got by on making myself useful, wherever I was - my life wasn't luxurious, but I was young, invincible, and it was all I ever wanted.

Mid-2010s, a bunch of things happened at the same time. I lost people in my family, and some friends I had known since childhood. I broke up with the girl I thought I would spend my life with the world got worse. I got into fights, with myself, with people I had never met before. I tried to destroy myself, went to dark places, and thought dark things - and the black dogs I picked up in that time never really left me. Still haven't, and I still face them sometimes.

Late 2010s, I cleaned myself up, and got a job. I threw myself into that job, body and soul - worked longer hours than anyone else, delivered more than anyone else, and tried my hardest to leave work so exhausted that I never had the energy to question myself. And, two years on from when I first started at that job...I've found the purpose I needed.

I serve 37 million ordinary Canadians every day, and I'm damn happy about that. I have a place of my own, and someday I'll buy it. I have a job that I love, in a city I love, in a country I love - and I'm good at what I do. I have a place. And maybe that's all I was looking for.

Funnily enough, my decade's mirrored Spurs in many ways - started off great, was crap in the middle, and ended on a hopeful note. :p

Last edited:
For me it's pretty much exactly like @Robbo.
Early 10's I was single and travelled around a fair bit, and fudged around a lot. Literally.
April 2013 I met my future wife, and the year after she quit her job and came to Norway with me, after finally getting her entry visa, and we got married autumn of 2014, so she could get a permanent visa. Went through a lot to get that, including being told by immigration that she could not apply while being in Norway. This happened 4 days before her visa expired. They actually refused to receive the application! Had to drive back 100 km home, talk to some lawyers and head back again the next day.

Eventually it sorted itself, but that week was a roller-coaster of emotions, containing one of the best moments, getting married, and one of the worst, facing the prospect of your wife being thrown out of the country, and possibly having to wait at least a year for her to return. There were so many tears on that road trip back home, I could barely see anything.

Early 2018 we had a son, and I'm loving the life as father. It's absolutely wonderful, and a 100 times more rewarding than I ever imagined! So life has changed completely around in this decade, from only thinking about myself, to being a family man, where the family is 1st, 2nd and 3rd priority.

. I tried to destroy myself, went to dark places, and thought dark things - and the black dogs I picked up in that time never really left me. Still haven't, and I still face them sometimes.

Late 2010s, I cleaned myself up, and got a job. I threw myself into that job, body and soul - worked longer hours than anyone else, delivered more than anyone else, and tried my hardest to leave work so exhausted that I never had the energy to question myself.

We had oddly similar paths. I remember in my early 30s buying a locksmith franchise and i worked so hard at it, i was running from things in my own head doing up houses on the side. Ended up getting divorced from the first wife but because i came home exhausted every night i did not have time to think about it.

That brick always catches up with you in the end though.

Wish i had done more travelling, still time though.

My decade has been good but with some notable lows.

Amazing wife and son who has come out of the teen angst thing thank GHod. From being great at school to not paying attention he now wants to be a graphic designer so is studying hard.

Moved house i hope for the last time, got a small but good selection of friends. My father died of alzheimer's at the start of the decade. Rest of family healthy, bit of a bricker i got bad health news 3 years ago. But it could have been worse.

For the last couple of years i have at times struggled a bit with mental health but i actually feel quite positive that i will still be here in 10 years time in pretty good nick.

Most important thing is to set my son on the right path into adulthood over the next 10 years. Tottenham winning something would be nice but i don't expect miracles.

Overall good with hope for the future.

We had oddly similar paths. I remember in my early 30s buying a locksmith franchise and i worked so hard at it, i was running from things in my own head doing up houses on the side. Ended up getting divorced from the first wife but because i came home exhausted every night i did not have time to think about it.

That brick always catches up with you in the end though.

Wish i had done more travelling, still time though.
Even though I'm not into lockpicking myself, I find it strangely addictive watching the lockpicking lawyer on YouTube.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm9K6rby98W8JigLoZOh6FQ

Strange and tough to separate things...daughter became a teen, son became a man, marriage went through very rocky spell but we made it through with a lot of love and perseverance, my father died, my Mum beat her second cancer, we suffered an unspeakable (and unwritable) violation within our household but survived that too, I continued to travel as I had the previous two decades but this was the one where I did all 7 continents (including Antarctica) but perhaps more than anything, this was the decade I learned to appreciate the simple miracles around us every day, such as animals, insects and nature generally (I have always liked these things but got distracted from their wisdom and genius)...I have to also say, I went to a Champions League Final, something which in 2010 did not ever feel possible!

Back