• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tanguy Ndombele

You always quote this! You don't know what would have happened if he didn't, so how do you know it didn't help?
Modric was a CM before he came to us and his performances truly stepped up a level when he was once again played as a CM, I don't think it's a wild assumption to suggest he should have been playing CM for us earlier. It's not as if he ever even stayed wide, he always came inside because that's his natural game.

That's the thing, his ability to roll players, the drunken master dribbling style and the hard decisive passing .. hard to counter

I think Gio is a great midfielder as well, but probably a bit more conventional.
Drunken master, excellent!!

Modric was a CM before he came to us and his performances truly stepped up a level when he was once again played as a CM, I don't think it's a wild assumption to suggest he should have been playing CM for us earlier. It's not as if he ever even stayed wide, he always came inside because that's his natural game.
If I recall he started there and wasn't up to pace - if we'd have kept him in there I think history would be different, in a bad way

He was given the chance to adapt to pace, strength unforgiving precision of the PL.

Was he not more of a 10 when he came to us, then Harry put him left, the central.

luka was quoted:
“The change of position helped me a lot in my career. I used to play more offensively,” he said.

“When I dropped back, I was able to read the game better and show my creativity. Harry Redknapp made that change.”

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/fo...napp-tactical-tweak-changed-a4007496.html?amp

Was he not more of a 10 when he came to us, then Harry put him left, the central.

luka was quoted:
“The change of position helped me a lot in my career. I used to play more offensively,” he said.

“When I dropped back, I was able to read the game better and show my creativity. Harry Redknapp made that change.”

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/fo...napp-tactical-tweak-changed-a4007496.html?amp

Not sure that quote is consistent with the Redknapp caricature of a dodgy wheeler-dealer whose tactical acumen is limited to "go out and run around a bit".

If I recall he started there and wasn't up to pace - if we'd have kept him in there I think history would be different, in a bad way

He was given the chance to adapt to pace, strength unforgiving precision of the PL.
In the chaos that was the end of Ramos' reign I don't know how much can be drawn from that. He was also paired with terrible partners if I recall.

luka was quoted:

No he was always a CM, that was his position at Zagreb and the national side and the position we bought him as. Harry didn't feel comfortable with such a small player in CM initially but eventually (due to injuries) proved his worth there.

I understand some people don’t like Redknapp, but if playing Modric on the left was a massive mistake and playing him centrally was solely down to blind luck due to the circumstances of every other CM available being injured, yet the player himself goes out of his way to acknowledge his role in his development as a player after winning the ballon d’or, perhaps his decisions weren’t as mis-informed or detrimental after all.

Not entirely. I even recall Football Manager had him as a AMRLC when he was at Zagreb if my memory is correct.

Back