• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Steven Caulker

THFCTB

Ben Thatcher
I've already posted about this in the Transfer Rumour Thread, but it probably warrants its own.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...er-extending-steven-caulker-loan-7619287.html

So what do you guys think? This is what I posted:
I'm pretty surprised myself. Bassong and Nelsen will almost definitely be leaving and King and Gallas won't be able to play too many games, leaving Kaboul and Daws as the only reliable CB's.* I agree with Gutter Boy in that the management must have someone in mind to bring in. But does this mean that they don't believe Caulker is good enough or that he needs more experience because, based on what I have seen, he could do a good job. And he would get quite a lot of games thanks to the CL (hopefully).

*Is Dawson even reliable? I hope so, but his injury record this season may suggest otherwise.

I think he should be given a chance next year. If he performs then we can look to move one or two of the older CB's on in January. If he doesn't we can look to send him out on loan again.

Pretty much the same as what we've done with Walker.

Cannot see Nelsen leaving if 'Arry is still around next season, Steven Caulker is only 20, done a fantastic job at Swansea, will be a big part of our defence next season. 'Arry has already gone on record as saying he has big plans for him next year.

Yes. He should be back at WHL next season competing for the first team.

King - who knows? Gallas - getting on. Daws - Caulker might be as good. Kaboul - might need a rest or get injured.

So he is very much ready, and should back competing as an equal for the first game of next season, with a not unreasonable expectation that he might get into that team.

Quotes from other posters:

nayimfromthehalfwayline:
Good development for him, assuming we dont see him as a first teamer next season

paxtonwolf:
If he does stay at Swansea next season, I hope to GHod we have another CB lined up in Summer. King and Gallas will be another year older and I assume Nelsen will be released in June/July

Spurssince2004:
yeah I can't see letting Caulker go to swans i'd rather have Caulker Kaboul Dawson King and Vertonghen. Let Nelsen and Gallas go they both look as though the tank is nearly empty.

add to that a marquee signing, adebayor, and a striker and i would call it a good year

braineclipse:
Long term I think this is a good thing. Another year of consistent first team football at a team like Swansea will help him develop better than being a squad player for us in my opinion. And although I rate Caulker very highly for the future, is he ready to be a starting centre back for us against top PL teams and in crucial CL matches if we do get CL football. I'm not sure.

billyiddo:
was speaking with some Swansea fans before the game last week and although they were all full of praise for him they did think he wasn't ready to be playing first team football for a top 4 side and could do with at least another year on loan

Hard to tell really. Who here though that Walker would come in and cement his place so well, forcing out Corluka!

I think a good test of whether he is ready is that, would we be interested in signing him if he wasn't already our player?

The fact Rogers wants to keep him for another season loan is an encouraging sign.

Personally I think he could definitely hold a spot for us next season after Bassong and Nelsen hopefully leave and Gallas would always be a fitness concern

I think the other issue with Caulker coming back to us is whether he would get enough games to continue his development. Being in and out of the team might affect his form and confidence.

I am hoping that next season we will have this Kaboul, Vertonghen, Dawson, Caulker as our main CBs.

The lad has put in some good defensive performances against teams like Emirates Marketing Project and Arsenal so I would bring him home for next season. He is the same age as Utd's Phil Jones, is there really a gulf in class between the two players? I think not

Besides we cannot rely on either Gallas or King on remaining fit for the season

I am hoping that next season we will have this Kaboul, Vertonghen, Dawson, Caulker as our main CBs.

Please tell me what Vertonghen has done to impress you? I do not think he is all that. I am not even sue he is faster than Dawson

He's definitely ready. For a place in the squad, at least. A place in the first-eleven? Not sure, but we've got the potential for a fine mix of players in our CB spots. With Caulker, Daws, and Kaboul our 'fit' centre-backs (i.e, capable of playing at least 30 games a season) and Gallas, Ledley and Nelsen as our old heads that rotate alongside the first three, adding their experience when necessary. If Daws's injury worries are too many to list him as a fit centre-back, then we can go out and buy Vertonghen. But now? I don't think we'll need him for next season at the very least.

Plus, if Caulker turns out to be a commanding leader type, then we'll have a ready made Caulker-Kaboul partnership that could form the bed-rock of our defence for years to come.

Basically our non-racist John Terry.

Back