• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Son Heung-Min

Not sure if covered already, and let me be clear, great news Son has 'signed da ting'.

But... why?

I mean, i love the guy, people can say he's hot and cold, but his stats as a winger are one of the best in the league, plain and simple.

But why on earth has he committed to us? He's got one year left, could walk into almost any of the big boy clubs here or abroad, has won NOTHING with us, or potentially no honours for club level ever. Just don't get at a professional level why he would sign for Spurs when he could go elsewhere, win stuff and earn more money.

Seems a bit, i dunno, just dont what we can offer when you're hitting that age in your career.

I think others have covered some of the factors that might have convinced him to sign.

I think another factor could be that he couldn't walk into almost any of the "big boy clubs" here or abroad. Sure, if he let his contract run out some would take him on a free, but there are reasons why not a lot of the biggest players do that.

Eriksen and Alderweireld similarly could walk into any of the "big boy clubs", except they couldn't.

I think perhaps a factor in him signing is that the biggest clubs haven't shown an interest in paying a lot of money to get him to move.

I think others have covered some of the factors that might have convinced him to sign.

I think another factor could be that he couldn't walk into almost any of the "big boy clubs" here or abroad. Sure, if he let his contract run out some would take him on a free, but there are reasons why not a lot of the biggest players do that.

Eriksen and Alderweireld similarly could walk into any of the "big boy clubs", except they couldn't.

I think perhaps a factor in him signing is that the biggest clubs haven't shown an interest in paying a lot of money to get him to move.

It’s quite puzzling why none of the big clubs seemingly wanted Eriksen, Toby, Jan, Rose or Dembele at their peak. Yes there was some vague interest from United for Toby but no bids were formally made. Understandable that Kane’s price tag is off putting to the bigger clubs but the only player from the Poch era that we sold for big money at their peak was Walker. Ultimately I think that does also say something about how we have progressed as a club. In the Jol/Ramos days there was little we could do to fend off interest for Carrick, Keane and Berbatov.

It’s quite puzzling why none of the big clubs seemingly wanted Eriksen, Toby, Jan, Rose or Dembele at their peak. Yes there was some vague interest from United for Toby but no bids were formally made. Understandable that Kane’s price tag is off putting to the bigger clubs but the only player from the Poch era that we sold for big money at their peak was Walker. Ultimately I think that does also say something about how we have progressed as a club. In the Jol/Ramos days there was little we could do to fend off interest for Carrick, Keane and Berbatov.
I think with CL and the squad harmony at the time the players we’re happy and genuinely believed they had as good a chance of winning something with us as anyone else domestically. Even Walker’s move seemed to come from him being rotated. I think United were interested in Rose but we wouldn’t sanction his sale after Walker, then he goes to injured and lost form. Dembele maybe question marks over injuries and Eriksen always struck me as wanting comfort in his surroundings rather than seeking the highest wage / profile of club. Toby remains a mystery when the clause was there and it’s hard to think why Jan didn’t have suitors here or in the top clubs abroad.

Was a golden period where any decent season or even just a standout individual season was bookended with us having to tend of unsettling bids for our best players and then having to replace them rather than looking solely to improve the squad. Also Poch himself had suitors too.

still think selling Walker was a mistake. Not only did we waste the money and strengthen a rival but it just sends the wrong message to the squad. I really hope we don’t sell Kane to City.

I think with CL and the squad harmony at the time the players we’re happy and genuinely believed they had as good a chance of winning something with us as anyone else domestically. Even Walker’s move seemed to come from him being rotated. I think United were interested in Rose but we wouldn’t sanction his sale after Walker, then he goes to injured and lost form. Dembele maybe question marks over injuries and Eriksen always struck me as wanting comfort in his surroundings rather than seeking the highest wage / profile of club. Toby remains a mystery when the clause was there and it’s hard to think why Jan didn’t have suitors here or in the top clubs abroad.

Was a golden period where any decent season or even just a standout individual season was bookended with us having to tend of unsettling bids for our best players and then having to replace them rather than looking solely to improve the squad. Also Poch himself had suitors too.

still think selling Walker was a mistake. Not only did we waste the money and strengthen a rival but it just sends the wrong message to the squad. I really hope we don’t sell Kane to City.
Poch wanted him gone
Was very odd

Yeah and I think he was trying to prove the collective was everything and he wanted to exercise a Fergie type move to a dissenting voice but we weren’t in a position as a club to sell to a rival.

I still think this had a massive impact on Rose too.
I'll show him. If he's not a team player, I'll make him take a massive payrise and win loads of trophies for half the work.....

Once we were derided for being a selling club. Now it seems we're bemused and befuddled because we're not. :confused:

It's always "why do they go fudge up the narrative"

- From breaking into Sky 4 and CL
- Top players don't go to Spurs (Klinsmann, VDV)
- Selling club

You could go dig through it or a dozen other examples, Spurs problem has always been we don't know our place nor are we brick enough to be "plucky underdogs" ala Leicester.

was it ever confirmed it wasn't levy? stadium funding needs were very high throughout poch's tenure. always felt that levy dealt him an unfair hand and poch still accepted to play the game.
Poch talked about Walker in his book, saying he wanted to leave before the end of the season. Walker disputes this but either way he wasn’t playing in the bigger games towards the end of that season.

So with Kane effectively on strike what happens if Son were to get injured this evening? That would be concerning to say the least.

Back