• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Racism in football

It's no different to Remembrance Sunday measures at games. Besides, sport is political, especially at clubs like Millwall and West Ham with long histories of racism.

I could easily leave the Remembrance Sunday stuff. Makes no difference having that in the game and when someone like Mclean rightfully says he would not wear a poppy it became political.

It's not prescribed propaganda, it's an act of solidarity that the players chose to make.

It is propaganda in the sense that it's the only cause that has ever been "approved" by the football authorities to be displayed before each and every match. Campaigning for anything else is actually against the rules.

On the pitch should be politics free imo.

(fwiw I also feel the same about Remembrance activities at football)

It's no different to Remembrance Sunday measures at games. Besides, sport is political, especially at clubs like Millwall and West Ham with long histories of racism.

The Remembrance Sunday stuff gets two weekends normally to take in all clubs playing at home . This has been going on for months at some point it needs to stop.

Thought it was inevitable that the return of fans would see a backlash by some to taking the knee.

Regards the remembrance I don’t think it needs to be done pre game . Plenty of other ceremony’s and symbolism outside of football to support that cause.

To stop the arguments all round perhaps football should drop all such things and keep it about the game.

We all know that these are just excuses made by far right racists. That's why I think that they should be banned for bringing the clubs into disrepute. The players made the decision to take this action, as is their right. The clubs should support them and ban the meatheads.

I agree with the general idea and tone of your posts, but is booing in itself actually racist?

Millwall Leeds and Cardiff are notorious for this so I'm not defending them but I think Les Ferdinand had it right with his comments recently.

Inevitable only because the UK has a massive problem with racists. Proving the need for the Black Lives Matter movement to stick around.

A massive problem maybe but at the same time the rest of my post stated to stop the arguments all the pre game symbolism for what ever cause it may be should be stoped.

A massive problem maybe but at the same time the rest of my post stated to stop the arguments all the pre game symbolism for what ever cause it may be should be stoped.

That just tells the racists that they win. Just like everything else football does. Racist songs at matches? £5,000 fine. Show an ad on your t-shirt? £50,000 fine.

Just when it feels like there's a proper effort to listen to black voices in football (who make up a good percentage of the players on our team) you get racists like Millwall turn up and just show how much further we we have to go.

The fines thing is a UEFA issue. They are pathetic and agreed they need to be looked at.

I don’t think the racists do win. Millwall have been roundly derided today and the clubs reputation again being dragged through the gutter. All things come to an End at some point. How long does taking the knee continue for ? The longer it carry’s on the more the message starts to wear off. People get used to it and it no longer holds the same weight and power it did at the start.

Watching football focus Dion Dublin and Micah Richards saying the millwall fans booing the taking of the knee is racism.

Really not sure about that. Clearly millwall have racist scumbag fans but not sure how you can say booing virtue signalling is a racist act.

Yes, I’m sure that’s what was going through the average Millwall fan’s mind as they booed: “I’ve just about had it with virtue signalling.” :rolleyes:

Inevitable only because the UK has a massive problem with racists. Proving the need for the Black Lives Matter movement to stick around.

Its a problem for the world like it is in the AFL which has huge issues.

The issue with the BLM knee is not the booing but the idea that by doing so it makes up for a multitude of racist issues in the game. Yeh its a nice sign of solidarity but this week following the BBC documentary on Terry and Anton still no one will call Terry for what he is, maybe because of the case being settled but Anton is still out there on a lim on his own feeling like he is the guilty one after being racially abused.

Im not giving the fans a free ride on today but if we are concentrating on fans booing the symbolic nature of the knee and not the fact the sport still harbors racists within the professional ranks then we are concentrating on the wrong thing as far as I am concerned.

Beardsley got a 32 week ban for racially abusing youth players, thats the real problem with racism in the game.

No.

I agree they are racists, they have been for years. But is booing in itself racist. For me it's not.

They're booing in protestation of an anti-racist movement and ideology. What does that tell you of their own beliefs?

Edit: I think you're being deliberately obtuse/evasive, as you often are on this issue.

The fines thing is a UEFA issue. They are pathetic and agreed they need to be looked at.

I don’t think the racists do win. Millwall have been roundly derided today and the clubs reputation again being dragged through the gutter. All things come to an End at some point. How long does taking the knee continue for ? The longer it carry’s on the more the message starts to wear off. People get used to it and it no longer holds the same weight and power it did at the start.

I agree with that, and refer to what Les Ferdinand said a couple of months ago: https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/54237179

However, that’s not a reason to excuse or play down the Millwall response, and I think you’re going too far by saying we should remove these things to avoid the arguments.

We all know that these are just excuses made by far right racists. That's why I think that they should be banned for bringing the clubs into disrepute. The players made the decision to take this action, as is their right. The clubs should support them and ban the meatheads.
It can be both.

Although with Millwall it's clearly just racists being racist.

They're booing in protestation of an anti-racist movement and ideology. What does that tell you of their own beliefs?

Edit: I think you're being deliberately obtuse/evasive, as you often are on this issue.

I'm really not. Black lives matter have some odd ideas. What was wrong with the kick it out campaign??

I doubt the Millwall fans were booing for that reason. But I dont think you can say outright that its racism.

Now looks like I'm defending them when I'm really not. Les Ferdinand said it best for me.

I'm just talking about following the law, which is often harped on by the woke crowd.

Millwall fans are scum. Just dont think you can say this incident was racist.

Just seen a snippet played to an MP - one player in pink (Derby) stood and raised a fist.

He's different.

He must be racist.

No - he's trying to signify something, but he's really there to play football. Can we get back to that?

The other week SA cricketers didn't take a knee as their bigger concern was gender equality. Mixed messages ... or too many messages ?

Making the meatheads uncomfortable is part of the process.

The statement is “black lives matter”, my take is you only boo that if you don’t agree with it, which makes you a racist.

There is a time for it to stop, and that time
is when society no longer treats people differently based on the colour of their skin.

It’s good that those with the platform and influence are helping.

Back