• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics (so long and thanks for all the fish)

seeing as the title says "thanks for all the fish"... Not shellfish though:

The EU has told British fishermen they are indefinitely banned from selling live mussels, oysters, clams, roosterles and scallops to its member states.

As the UK is now a separate country, it is not allowed to transport the animals to the EU unless they have already been treated in purification plants.

But the industry says it does not have enough tanks ready and the process can slow exports, making them less viable.

The government promised to continue to "raise the issue" with the EU.

Good thing we hold all the cards and they need us more than we need them.

The EU has told British fishermen they are indefinitely banned from selling live mussels, oysters, clams, roosterles and scallops to its member states.

As the UK is now a separate country, it is not allowed to transport the animals to the EU unless they have already been treated in purification plants.

But the industry says it does not have enough tanks ready and the process can slow exports, making them less viable.

unfeckinbelievable

Quite sad what is happening to British fishermen. Mentioned it in here a year or so ago, how did fisherman not understand that we sell most of our fish into the EU? Baffling. Brexit is affecting things coming in too. Various delays on goods entering the UK. Hopefully, it smooths out in time, but then there is no surprise that putting in place more friction and reducing free trade impairs trade. Who'd have thought it?

I have family in Devon, I like Brixham a lot, one of my favourite places to eat is on the shore there (Breakwater), it's another world though. My wife has family in the south of France, right next to Monaco. Brixham is a bigger culture change for us in "that London" than Cap D'Ail.

Taking my own personal views out of it. It looks really like the EU are making trade deliberately difficult out of spite. If the UK sells the majority of its seafood to the EU. Then it means that Europe has a desire for a product from the UK.

I can understand a few extra firms to fill. But anything more then that really comes across as spiteful and trying to punish or squeeze the UK and its fishermen. Unless Europeans have stopped desiring seafood from the UK.

Obviously I'm a leaver so I have deep held beliefs but I'm trying to look at in a neutral way and if this situation was anywhere else in the world. Say China and Vietnam I would think that the side who were putting extra restrictions were behaving like bullies.

I know you guys all have view on the brexit thing and thats fine and I understand that. But if you want a view from the other side I can tell you how the EU are behaving are just backing up my views on them.

Trade between nations should always be tariff free.

Taking my own personal views out of it. It looks really like the EU are making trade deliberately difficult out of spite. If the UK sells the majority of its seafood to the EU. Then it means that Europe has a desire for a product from the UK.

I can understand a few extra firms to fill. But anything more then that really comes across as spiteful and trying to punish or squeeze the UK and its fishermen. Unless Europeans have stopped desiring seafood from the UK.

Obviously I'm a leaver so I have deep held beliefs but I'm trying to look at in a neutral way and if this situation was anywhere else in the world. Say China and Vietnam I would think that the side who were putting extra restrictions were behaving like bullies.

I know you guys all have view on the brexit thing and thats fine and I understand that. But if you want a view from the other side I can tell you how the EU are behaving are just backing up my views on them.

It's partly spite, but a lot of stupidity from UK exporters too.

The hauliers we use to ship to RoW have been doing this brick forever and it's no different shipping to the EU.

The problem is a bit like going to a supermarket to get your lunch. The queues are always full of old women who can't work a purse or load a bag and want to pay with vouchers and a cheque. So hauliers are having to queue because people are retarded and can't work a simple form.

Last edited:

If you’re in the customs union you can have your shell fish washed at it’s destination - it’s all one trade territory - but if it’s coming from outside the EU it needs to be washed at source.

It’s not the EU being spiteful these laws have been there for years, we helped write this law!

Ironic that fisherman were so pro Brexit and are now being shafted.

“Raising the issue with the EU” is what taking back control looks like?

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

I can't quite understand why the fishing industry seems to get so much attention considering its relative importance to the UK economy. There are plenty of other industries feeling the bite too but fishing seems to be a headline grabber.

I can't quite understand why the fishing industry seems to get so much attention considering its relative importance to the UK economy. There are plenty of other industries feeling the bite too but fishing seems to be a headline grabber.
I think it was the Telegraph that pointed out almost all of the EU's fresh, coldwater fish comes from our waters.

So it was a hugely contentious point, given that we could have both killed off much of the EU fishing industry and closed off their access to most of their fresh fish.

Maybe you're right. Maybe they are worried of further countries leaving so have put stringent controls on their side to make it an unwelcome choice. Either way that's their determination to do what's best for them and their market. As I always say, this was always expected so why are we surprised? We are dealing with the largest economy in the world, they don't need to make things easy for UK, they need to maintain their superiority. They hold all the cards, always have.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Reactions: DTA
I think it was the Telegraph that pointed out almost all of the EU's fresh, coldwater fish comes from our waters.

So it was a hugely contentious point, given that we could have both killed off much of the EU fishing industry and closed off their access to most of their fresh fish.
Not my point though. I was talking about its outsized position fishing seems to have compared to its paltry size. It seems headline hogging compared to other industries.

Not my point though. I was talking about its outsized position fishing seems to have compared to its paltry size. It seems headline hogging compared to other industries.
It made the headlines because it was such a point of contention for the EU.

I suspect it's stayed in the press because that's how they work - keep reporting on a single story until it's rinsed.

It made the headlines because it was such a point of contention for the EU.

I suspect it's stayed in the press because that's how they work - keep reporting on a single story until it's rinsed.
Well that's my point. They are concentrating more on the woes of the fishing industry over problems in other industries with a far bigger overall impact on the economy. Anyway, I guess it is not that important.

Well that's my point. They are concentrating more on the woes of the fishing industry over problems in other industries with a far bigger overall impact on the economy. Anyway, I guess it is not that important.
Not for a few years anyway. It will become a little more important around renegotiation time.

Back