• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Our strikers next season

milo

Jack L. Jones
I think that we've got another massive rebuilding job to do up front this summer. Defoe's gone, Soldado hasn't matched his quality in Spain and I've got a suspicion that we'll cash in on Ade whilst we can.

Where does that leave us and how should we tackle it?

Depends on the direction our manager wants to take us.

It starts with how many strikers we want to start in most games, if we want to start two then both Ade and Soldado could be kept around. I really feel we have to rethink our central midfield if that's the case though. I'm not sure about Paulinho, Capoue, Bentaleb (at this point) or possibly even Sandro and Dembele in a 4-4-2-esque formation. They all range from good to excellent, but the only real proper passer in there is Bentaleb and I'm not sure he's ready to be first choice in a system like that. We're really lacking balance in central midfield if we want to move in that direction.

If we want to start with a lone striker for most games then I think we need to have a "complete striker" as our first choice striking option. Someone with a bit of height, strength, pace, skill, finishing ability etc. If you look at most top teams regularly playing a lone striker they have one of those strikers available to them or as first choice. The exceptions are teams that are so outrageously good on the ball that they don't need a physical option/holdup player. I'm not holding my breath for us to join that category next season. Look at Arsenal with Giroud and the young Sanogo, Bayern, Dortmund, City (under Mancini), Chelsea at their best had Drogba, and so on. I'm sure there are exceptions, but for where we want to move, I think we need that complete forward.

That, unfortunately, doesn't leave Soldado as a good first choice option. It leaves Ade as a good option, but one many of us will struggle to trust as that first choice striker and like Milo says we might want to cash in anyway.

I started a "which complete strikers could we get" thread in the transfer rumour thread this summer (iirc), and also this January. I still think that's a vital question for us if we want to push on.

Mandzukic or Lukaku would be up there on the wishlist, but probably both are like wishing for a supermodel from Santa for Christmas.

Having good options up front makes the world of difference to a distinctly average side v a very good side.

You only need to look at Liverpool to see how their fortunes have transformed.

I think one prerequisite if I were looking for a striker would be that I want players who can be part of an aggressive front line. Again Liverpool and City for instance are very aggressive up top, this is not just pressing well, but actually snapping in challenges, and actually going for the throat with every attack. Its not an area that fills me with confidence, we are notoriously slow to buy strikers when it seems we need them.

Adebayor has made the world of difference to us since his return. We all know his problems. Soldado is a good player but we don't have enough creativity in the side for him to really be successful.

Depends who the boss is really. Tim and we could go with Harry Kane up front (gulp) whilst we could go for Benteke.

Do we really want to take another punt on someone like Benteke. Might as well gamble with a kid unless we are looking to buy proven class

Obika
Coulthirst

Ade if he will lower his wages
Greaves if he can pass the fitness test (breath & shoot will suffice)
Big Chiv

But Kane ........ don't make Oi Larrf

I think we need a striker who can dribble at players, with pace and creativity. When was the last time we had one of those?

Can you say he wouldn't do it just to prove a point ;)

As far as it's possible to be sure of anything, yes.

People suggested he was only trying to prove a point with Bentaleb, but I think Bentaleb and Sherwood have proven that wrong by now.

Sherwood is obviously desperate to get the best results possible, as he will be come the summer and next season if still in charge (or involved). And there's effectively the same chance Sherwood would be happy with Kane as his first choice striker as it is van Gaal or Prandelli would.

With Defoe gone, Soldado not firing and Adebayor a strop away from not performing we really need to get in some honest strikers that fit the system and at worst will put in a shift. It seems TS is now settling on a 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3. I pretty much think if we hired one of the other managers that we are being touted for that is a system they would probably use as well.

So we need strikers that can play up top on their own. Have the ability to hold it up, some pace maybe to keep the defence honest, some ability in the air and some physical strength to hold off the defence.

Prem proven players would be:

Benteke
Bony
Michu ( a more cultured version that showed he could play as a lone man )

From abroad I dont really know. I dont watch enough other leagues to know really. I think we have to stop thinking we can get the absoloute top drawer players. But there must be plenty of players like Bony that would readily come to the prem and have the attributes we need.

i'm happy to stick with ade + soldado + lamela, and add a 25 year old proven premiership player in the mould of shane long - we're doing alright so far

The quality of striker we will be able to attract is directly related to whether we finish in the top 4 or not.

Let's bear that in mind before people start throwing hissy fits about losing in the Europa League.

Sell soldado and find a new strike partner for adebayor.

Soldado just hasn't cut it.

Not benteke, he's been shown up as a bit of a one season wonder.

I'm still hoping deploying Lamela at some point in an extremely advanced role will solve the potential problem of numbers.

Same here, if we can get him playing like he did for Roma, behind Soldado, playing like he did for Valencia, we'll be back in business.

Back