1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Please read this post: https://www.glory-glory.co.uk/community/threads/fund-raising-for-jeremy-yermiyahu.10542/
    Dismiss Notice

***OMT Tottenham Hotspur v SCBC***

Discussion in 'Spurs News & Views' started by El Guepardo, 19 Sep 2020.

?

Man of the match

Poll closed 22 Sep 2020.
  1. Davies

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Kane

56.3%
  3. Lloris

2.1%
  4. Lo Celso

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Ndombele

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Son

41.7%
  1. camspur

camspur Neil Sullivan

That goes without question. :p

2. milo

milo Mel Hopkins Staff Member

Nominations for Davies, Kane, Lloris, Lo Celso, Ndombele, Son. Anyone else?

3. milo

It's what Mourinho asks of the more advanced player in the midfield two. We've seen countless others asked to do the same.

4. namneders

namneders Moderated

This is massive for confidence

Pirate55 likes this.
  5. scaramanga

scaramanga Vivian Woodward Staff Member

Was Mourinho manager when Kante used to do that for him?

He's talked before about using a "disruptor" further up the field rather than a "sitting DM" at the back. Makes sense as it allows the deeper player to dictate play more.

6. milo

@DubaiSpur did a really good post on this just after he joined

scaramanga likes this.
  7. braineclipse

braineclipse Chris Jones

Great to get a win. Definitely a result that papers over a lot of cracks though.

Some are well known and I more or less accept that it will take time. Somewhat worrying that we looked so open at the back. Mourinho managed to make us solid after the restart last season, now not so at all.

Very good to see good playing time from Ndombele and Lo Celso. Son and Kane finding form and confidence will do us a world of good.

Pirate55 likes this.
  8. ricky2tricky4city

ricky2tricky4city Pedro Mendes

And Mane!

9. Jurgen the German

Jurgen the German Chris Jones

I don’t think it makes a difference who the DM is. Obviously a better DM would make some difference but we would still have Sanchez’s poor ability on the ball, Dier’s average ability on the ball, both of them are susceptible long balls over the top, neither of them deal with set pieces effectively. Who is the ball winner and who is the dominating one in the air? Who is the cultured CB out of the two?

I really hope Jose is managing Toby’s game time with the daunting schedule we have because honestly I’m baffled as to what Dier and Sanchez have done to be ahead of Toby in the pecking order, I accept its only two games though. We looked perfectly fine without Dier when he was suspended at the back end of last season. He comes back and we have zero clean sheets in 4 competitive games. And we had what 3/4 clean sheets without him?

Bishop likes this.
  10. Pirate55

Pirate55 The Last Man Standing 17/18

Not often you score four goals and yet aren’t MoM ( at least according to Mourinho). However I agree with him. Kane’s performance was outstanding and he might have had a hat trick himself if others hadn’t got marginally offside.

Still think he would more often be best in a Sherringham role with a hunk of burning love next to him and Son and/or Bale running in behind.

harr1984 likes this.
  11. Mikey10

Mikey10 Sergei Rebrov

He’s got the best disruptor in the game at his disposal. Not even Sissoko himself knows what he’s going to do next. How much more disruptive do you want?

scaramanga likes this.
  12. ricky2tricky4city

ricky2tricky4city Pedro Mendes

I actually think it was a game thats left us with more questions than answers.

It can quite easily, from our part, be boiled down to a devastating two man second half show. And let's reasonably say, that's not the norm, there still remains a lot to work on.

Kicks us off and gives us some breathing space though.

alekaras likes this.
  13. Bedfordspurs

Bedfordspurs Terry Dyson

Toby was awful last week and he will also be needed this week probably to play with a much less experienced player
    Everyone remembers good Toby but never the bad stuff. I’ll add that he was great in those 4 games you mention and I don’t know why we haven’t played him with Sanchez in one of the 3 games so far

14. GPRD81

GPRD81 Ben Thatcher

There are two diametrically opposed ways of analysing the game and I cant yet decide which I will follow.

The lazy, journalistic way is to look at the score and then build the narrative from that. In this case we can paint a positive picture of a clinical forward display that highlighted the world class abilities of Kane as a supplier and Sonny Boy as a finisher. We can apply credit to Jose for correctly assessing Southampton's weaknesses with balls in behind the defence. We could also reflect that despite having gone behind and not played well for the second time in three days we showed mental resilience to overcome the scoreline and win the game.

If we apply the slightly more subjective assessment judging from first whistle to final whistle you can create a very different narrative - we were dreadful for 45 minutes - an anaemic performance lacking in intensity, cohesion and spark. We were passive out of possession but still failed to stay with runners and cope with Southampton's movement - this a team who had lost to Crystal Palace (league) and Brentford (League Cup) in the last seven days having failed to score in either match.

glasgowspur and billyiddo like this.
  15. Jurgen the German

Toby isn’t what he used to be but he’s still the best CB at the club. I accept he has made mistakes also but for me it needs to be him + 1 other. Probably Sanchez for his pace. Personally I’d sell one of Sanchez or Dier and bring in another young CB to play alongside Toby.

16. DubaiSpur

DubaiSpur Jimmy McCormick

milo likes this.
  17. Bedfordspurs

Bedfordspurs Terry Dyson

Yeah I’m still far far from convinced by Toby
    That over hit Ben Davies pass last week left him running at Holdberg speed and the lack of even a jump for their goal, plus the long passes to the wrong men made me think he has lost it like Jan did at this point of his career

Bishop, Pirate55 and Baleforce like this.
  18. yiddo37

yiddo37 Clive Wilson

Kane was excellent as was Son's finishing and general play. Tough call but opted for 4 goal Sonny...just.

Bedfordspurs likes this.
  19. milo

DubaiSpur likes this.
  20. Jurgen the German

Fair enough. Probably says more about how bad Dier and Sanchez are that Toby is still more reliable. I accept he’s slower than 18 months ago but don’t remember too many times he gets beaten by balls over the top with such regularity as the two CB’s today have done over their careers, that’s fairly basic stuff I’d expect Sunday league players to deal with whereas Toby’s failings are more physical i.e. his body letting him down rather than poor play. Still easily a better passer and footballer than Dier and Sanchez.

Bishop likes this.