• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** OMT - Tottenham Hotspur v Borussia Dortmund ***

More specifically, can anyone give me a heads up on how Aurier played? Specifically how he dealt with Pulisic and what his pace looked like. Danke. :)

He was absolutely fantastic, I must say. One of the better debut's I've seen for us in a long while, alongside Sanchez the week before. They both look made for our side.

Some think he had a shaky first 20 minutes, but I don't buy into that.. He showed his CL experience against a very strong side and proved a real threat going forward while being solid at the back.

Pulisic didn't really trouble him overly, apart from one clear cut opportunity where he went central. So can't blame him too much for that.

As others have mentioned it will likely be a matter of time before he's ousted Tripper as first choice in the EPL games too.

Unfortunately Tripps might be back being used as a pinch-crosser against weaker teams or when Llorente is playing.

DJod-VXX0AcUfxr.jpg

DJod-xaXUAEf5Ir.jpg

Dortmund had alot of the ball and passed it around really well without really creating too many clear cut chances. We hit them on the break with some very good counter attacks and got the 2 goals. Second half changed, Dortmund were not allowed to play it as freely as they were in the first and we were the much better team and deserved the win overall (with abit of luck for their disallowed goal).

Aurier is not as quick as Walker but not far off and in the first half seemed to be playing against 2 men at times (with their fullback pushing up) but handled the game well, he was never ripped apart and looked very confident on the ball. His crossing and passing is an upgrade on Walkers. Did look abit rusti in the first 10-20 minutes but you would expect that from a new signing and the likes of Dembele and Dier also looked abit rusty.

Thank you, that paints a pretty complete picture of both the game and of Aurier's performance. I'm glad he seems more technically adept than Walker was - if he's not as fast as Kyle, but still faster/stronger than Trippier, then he'd be a happy compromise between our existing RB and our departed former wing-back - technically adept yet reasonably solid and quick.

He was absolutely fantastic, I must say. One of the better debut's I've seen for us in a long while, alongside Sanchez the week before. They both look made for our side.

Some think he had a shaky first 20 minutes, but I don't buy into that.. He showed his CL experience against a very strong side and proved a real threat going forward while being solid at the back.

Pulisic didn't really trouble him overly, apart from one clear cut opportunity where he went central. So can't blame him too much for that.

As others have mentioned it will likely be a matter of time before he's ousted Tripper as first choice in the EPL games too.

Unfortunately Tripps might be back being used as a pinch-crosser against weaker teams or when Llorente is playing.

Thanks.

Thing is it isn't just the tiredness which was clearly visible on the pitch, it's the effect it has on their preparation for the weekend game. Kane might have been enjoying himself but he looked knackered/red faced and we don't need him to be burning out prematurely. Bringing on Llorente for five minutes is kind of pointless. It takes most players five minutes to get up to the pace of the game. I'm not criticising Poch ( I love the man and 100% know that he knows more than any of us) I'm just saying that if I was ever given the opportunity to ask him I would query why he leaves the subs so late.

Hopefully once Lamela is fit and Alli available (plus potentially Barkley in January), we've got more options on the bench pushing for game time.
I think taking this CL group seriously means ignoring the weekend game to a large extent. Particularity in this game as the fight for going through is likely going to be between us and Dortmund. As far as I know the decider if we end ok equal points with Dortmund is the results between us and them. Winning by two at home could send us to the knockout stages if we lose by one away from home. Just having that extra advantage could be important going into the away game against them.

I'm no injury expert, but the last 5-10 minutes seems like the time when injuries due to exhaustion are the most likely. Giving someone that little rest makes some sense from that perspective. It certainly makes sense from a fresh legs perspective. Get players on that will make those important defensive runs when perhaps Kane or Son wouldn't have the energy or concentration to. It's also an opportunity to slow the gave down for a bit, give instructions and rally.

I think taking this CL group seriously means ignoring the weekend game to a large extent. Particularity in this game as the fight for going through is likely going to be between us and Dortmund. As far as I know the decider if we end ok equal points with Dortmund is the results between us and them. Winning by two at home could send us to the knockout stages if we lose by one away from home. Just having that extra advantage could be important going into the away game against them.

I'm no injury expert, but the last 5-10 minutes seems like the time when injuries due to exhaustion are the most likely. Giving someone that little rest makes some sense from that perspective. It certainly makes sense from a fresh legs perspective. Get players on that will make those important defensive runs when perhaps Kane or Son wouldn't have the energy or concentration to. It's also an opportunity to slow the gave down for a bit, give instructions and rally.

100% agree on the crucial nature of the Dortmund game. Lose 1-0 over there and we should be fine. Fresh legs would always help and Dortmund made their changes much earlier than we did. Yes, they were chasing the game but the pace of that particular game was frantic and I reckon our forwards were feeling it. It was such a good game I'm tempted to follow that reddit link and watch it again.

How do you think that result compares in our champions league history? AC and Inter Milan games were special but I reckon this could be up there.

100% agree on the crucial nature of the Dortmund game. Lose 1-0 over there and we should be fine. Fresh legs would always help and Dortmund made their changes much earlier than we did. Yes, they were chasing the game but the pace of that particular game was frantic and I reckon our forwards were feeling it. It was such a good game I'm tempted to follow that reddit link and watch it again.

How do you think that result compares in our champions league history? AC and Inter Milan games were special but I reckon this could be up there.
It's not as simple as just being ahead on head to head vs Dortmund. As good as Real Madrid are, Dortmund are more than capable of getting something out of at least one those encounters, which means we too would have to. So it's naive to believe just losing by one goal to them and we will be fine....

It's not as simple as just being ahead on head to head vs Dortmund. As good as Real Madrid are, Dortmund are more than capable of getting something out of at least one those encounters, which means we too would have to. So it's naive to believe just losing by one goal to them and we will be fine....

Just take every game as it comes

Win the next game and we're in a great place

Away wins are so important

No one thinks that...

But this has given us a small edge that could be vital.

the Order of the games (assuming RM win all until the last) does not favour us either, if RM are guaranteed top they will rest players.

It's up there I think. Inter seemed even more special at the time as they were defending champions. But in hindsight they weren't that good that season.

We might need to top all of these still to get out of this group.
I was replying to a poster saying ' lose 1-0 over there and we should be fine' so I'm not sure that's true....
Yes. And we should be able to match Dortmund over the 4 other remaining games in the group. Should being the operative word... I don't think for a second AD is as naive as you make it sound. We're all Spurs fans, we know well the ways things can go wrong.

It was great to start our CL campaign with this erection inducing win. It was satisfying to beat a strong team like Borussia. In fact, we could have won by a bigger score if we had been more clinical in front of goal. Let's hope we have overcome the Wembley jinx with this win.

Credit to Kane and Son for the goals. I think Son's goal was crucial as it came so early in the match. It gave us the belief that we can win this match. Kane also did well to score our second so soon after Borussia got their goal. We really should have scored more goals in the 2nd half as Kane wasted 2 chances while Son, Alderweireld and Sissoko also wasted their chances. It could have been costly to us as Borussia had a goal wrongly ruled offside.

Despite the win, thought our midfield were poor as Borussia dominated the match. Dier and Dembele failed to control the match. We were put under too much pressure especially in the first half. Fortunately for us Borussia didn't make use of their domination. Don't think we can afford to be like that against Real.

Satisfied with our defence despite conceding the goal. But we really need to learn to stop those long range shots. We have simply conceded too many long range goals in recent years. Thought Sanchez and Aurier had a good game but can still improve their defending. Disappointed with the red card to Vertonghen. Thought he was joining in too much of our attacks. There was no need to for him to go in like that in injury time.

Hope this win will boost our confidence to do well against Real later in the CL this season.

Back