• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Oliver Skipp

I know he has been out for a while with a big injury but he has been on the bench for the last 5 games snd not even a sniff, surely he should be getting a few minutes here and there? If he is not ready to come on whats the point of being on the bench? He was a regular for Conte last season.

I know he has been out for a while with a big injury but he has been on the bench for the last 5 games snd not even a sniff, surely he should be getting a few minutes here and there? If he is not ready to come on whats the point of being on the bench? He was a regular for Conte last season.

You can't bring on a sub just to give them playing time if you need to make substitutions elsewhere for tactical, fitness or injury reasons.

You can't bring on a sub just to give them playing time if you need to make substitutions elsewhere for tactical, fitness or injury reasons.
There's been plenty of games were only one sub was used so that isn't a reason. In the game against Sporting it looked like a number of players were tiring and needed subbing but Skipp was left on the bench.

Can you imagine the brickstorm that would happen if Conte did that and we ended up dropping points or losing? Subs should only be used to change game tactically or for injury.

Can you imagine the brickstorm that would happen if Conte did that and we ended up dropping points or losing? Subs should only be used to change game tactically or for injury.
As said above, there has been times where we could bring on a player as we have not used many subs. Also we haven’t exactly been playing well so Skipp for 1 of the 2 central players would probably help us.

As said above, there has been times where we could bring on a player as we have not used many subs. Also we haven’t exactly been playing well so Skipp for 1 of the 2 central players would probably help us.

That's probably because Conte didnt feel it was right to change things, luckily I played in a time before subs were used at a lower level but when it did come in I was well tinkled off to be subbed and it would have been even worse to come off to give someone a run out.

There's been plenty of games were only one sub was used so that isn't a reason. In the game against Sporting it looked like a number of players were tiring and needed subbing but Skipp was left on the bench.
Even 5-10 minutes against Leicester would've been fine IMO, I think we still had a sub or two left. Already winning the match at that point, there's no risk of a tactical backfire there. Already had 3 midfielders so it's even less pressure on Skipp.

Even 5-10 minutes against Leicester would've been fine IMO, I think we still had a sub or two left. Already winning the match at that point, there's no risk of a tactical backfire there. Already had 3 midfielders so it's even less pressure on Skipp.

You only have 3 windows in which to perform subs, which we had used Royale on 55mins, Son and Romero on 59mins then Bissouma on 70mins, so while we did have a sub left (4 out of 5) there were no windows in which to use that substitute.

You only have 3 windows in which to perform subs, which we had used Royale on 55mins, Son and Romero on 59mins then Bissouma on 70mins, so while we did have a sub left (4 out of 5) there were no windows in which to use that substitute.
Ah yes, I totally forgot about that. Would've been too disruptive to have both Bissouma and Skipp come on in that case. I just want to see him continue his development but we've got 9 matches in October, should be able to get some game time in there.

That's probably because Conte didnt feel it was right to change things, luckily I played in a time before subs were used at a lower level but when it did come in I was well tinkled off to be subbed and it would have been even worse to come off to give someone a run out.

What if the sub was because you were playing cr@p?

What if the sub was because you were playing cr@p?

I'd still have the hump, wouldnt want anyone in my team who was happy to come off, you've got to believe in yourself and try and to perform better. I'd be more understanding if it was tactical, but still think it should have been some else.

The possible negative impact of taking a player off just to give someone playing time may outweigh the positives.

The possible negative impact of taking a player off just to give someone playing time may outweigh the positives.

What about the positive impact of giving another player time to bit by bit (via sub appearances) to get used to the system and how he would work with other players in it? Especially if later in the season they may be called upon to do because of injuries or suspensions etc and not doing so 'cold' and getting caught out? Surely better to be eased in through substitute minutes where possible, no?

Using that same logic, you could argue that there could be a positive impact to replacing a player who is not playing well. Subs happen all the time, doesn't mean the player subbed off never plays for us again.

edit: @glorygloryeze seen you've made a similar point, I need to hit that submit button faster!

Back