• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Official - Friedel

I accept that goalkeepers are a different breed, but if you are determined enough to make it as a top level professional footballer, why would you suddenly decide that sitting on the bench was what you actually wanted to do all along?

Because we're the club in the world with the 13th highest turnover?

Because even backup wages at Spurs/in the PL are significantly higher than first team wages elsewhere?

Because a couple of seasons as a backup keeper at Spurs playing primarily smaller cup games could be a decent pathway towards finding another (smaller) club in a big league?

How to replace Friedel when at some point his playing days are over at Spurs, whenever that might be, is about as low down the list of concerns about our squad that any issue could be for me. It's a situation I strongly expect will just be sorted out when that time comes, as it should be.

Because we're the club in the world with the 13th highest turnover?

Because even backup wages at Spurs/in the PL are significantly higher than first team wages elsewhere?

Because a couple of seasons as a backup keeper at Spurs playing primarily smaller cup games could be a decent pathway towards finding another (smaller) club in a big league?

How to replace Friedel when at some point his playing days are over at Spurs, whenever that might be, is about as low down the list of concerns about our squad that any issue could be for me. It's a situation I strongly expect will just be sorted out when that time comes, as it should be.

Spurs turnover is irrelevant.

I suppose the fact we can pay well might persuade a good keeper to sit on his **** for a couple of years. But how is that going to persuade his potential new employer that he's the man they are looking for?

I agree this is not the most pressing issue for us. But I also think the club ought to be thinking about potential benchwarmers when Brad does go.

Hugo should be around for a very long time and anyone coming into the club in the next decade will be competing for s****s.

I actually think Friedel would have been the difference between us finishing 5th and 4th when Jol was manager and in Redknapp's second full season when again we finished 5th. He was unbelievable at times at Blackburn.

Spurs turnover is irrelevant.

I suppose the fact we can pay well might persuade a good keeper to sit on his **** for a couple of years. But how is that going to persuade his potential new employer that he's the man they are looking for?

I agree this is not the most pressing issue for us. But I also think the club ought to be thinking about potential benchwarmers when Brad does go.

Hugo should be around for a very long time and anyone coming into the club in the next decade will be competing for s****s.

Our wage budget is certainly relevant.

I don't get your question about how he's going to persuade us to sign him. As I said already I think Baldini can identify multiple targets like that quite easily. As I'm quite sure they are already considering those options for the future. Wouldn't be surprised if we're tracking a couple of goalkeepers that are running down their contracts at the moment so we can bring someone in fairly cheaply.

Our wage budget is certainly relevant.

I don't get your question about how he's going to persuade us to sign him. As I said already I think Baldini can identify multiple targets like that quite easily. As I'm quite sure they are already considering those options for the future. Wouldn't be surprised if we're tracking a couple of goalkeepers that are running down their contracts at the moment so we can bring someone in fairly cheaply.

Our turnover isn't necessarily linked to our wage budget. But even if it is, that's one point of debate, not two.

The crux of the problem is this: we have one of the great young goalkeepers performing well and seemingly happy at the club. In a year or so we need to recruit a top level player who is ok with being the backup.

(My assumption here is that we aren't going in for a GK better than Lloris, who would wind up in as the next Friedel)

How do you persuade a young player that the best club for him is one with an established international captain on the staff? I don't think you can.

So the alternative is a new Brad - an older player who doesn't have any particular ambitions about winning medals. He knows that Lloris will play in the latter stages of cups so he won't even wind up with a league cup winners medal.

In other words, we need a top quality mercenary goalkeeper, who will be able to perform on the odd occasion that we need him to play. How many of those are there, and how do we get one to sign for us?

Our turnover isn't necessarily linked to our wage budget. But even if it is, that's one point of debate, not two.

The crux of the problem is this: we have one of the great young goalkeepers performing well and seemingly happy at the club. In a year or so we need to recruit a top level player who is ok with being the backup.

(My assumption here is that we aren't going in for a GK better than Lloris, who would wind up in as the next Friedel)

How do you persuade a young player that the best club for him is one with an established international captain on the staff? I don't think you can.

So the alternative is a new Brad - an older player who doesn't have any particular ambitions about winning medals. He knows that Lloris will play in the latter stages of cups so he won't even wind up with a league cup winners medal.

In other words, we need a top quality mercenary goalkeeper, who will be able to perform on the odd occasion that we need him to play. How many of those are there, and how do we get one to sign for us?

I think, compared to my view at least, you either overestimate the level of the backup goalkeeper I'm talking about (linked to the level of backup goalkeepers at other top clubs) or you're underestimating the wage difference between top PL sides and clubs in smaller leagues. Or a combination of the two.

I think, compared to my view at least, you either overestimate the level of the backup goalkeeper I'm talking about (linked to the level of backup goalkeepers at other top clubs) or you're underestimating the wage difference between top PL sides and clubs in smaller leagues. Or a combination of the two.

Finding a back up keeper wouldn't be too hard. I'm sure there are plenty of keepers that could do that job fine. There are lots of good keepers sitting on the bench for smaller clubs.

Gomes will do for now. There a good keeper in there somewhere.
I like all our goalies.
Even if Brad is on "only" £20k pw that is still a million a year.
On reflection maybe Gomes is a better bench option as nobody else seems willing to take him.
Thanks, Brad

Gomes makes me smile, but good goalkeepers have to be mentally and physically tough and I'm afraid he's too much of a pansy. That's never going to change now, at his age. Shame, because on his day, he can be nothing short of amazing.

I'm not sure that he is mentally strong enough to be our back up keeper.

I agree. He is not mentally nor physically strong but realistically how many games will he play? At the risk of jinxing him Lloris could probably play every game in every comp without much bother. If AVB wanted Gomes could be be an unused sub until a new guy comes in. If he does play he just might turn in some performances like the Gomes of old. Unlikely but still possible.

Gomes is possibly a more natural cover for Lloris with the way we play a high line, the question being (as others have said) does he have the mentality to play off the bench?

Gomes makes me smile, but good goalkeepers have to be mentally and physically tough and I'm afraid he's too much of a pansy. That's never going to change now, at his age. Shame, because on his day, he can be nothing short of amazing.

Mentally I don't think Gomes is with us at all anymore. He will have to deal with being overlooked for the World Cup, but he'll have his pick of clubs to join for free next year.

I like Friedel, would love for him to stay with us when he retires as a coach of some sort.

Would like us to see Friedel through his coaching badges, and possibly start a London based goalkeeper program for kids and youth.
That's something he's shown interest in before with his financially failed soccer camps.

Would like us to see Friedel through his coaching badges, and possibly start a London based goalkeeper program for kids and youth.
That's something he's shown interest in before with his financially failed soccer camps.

There are probably 100 Goalkeeping programs with ex pro's in and around the London area.

Back