1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Please read this post: https://www.glory-glory.co.uk/community/threads/fund-raising-for-jeremy-yermiyahu.10542/
    Dismiss Notice

Next Spurs Manager

Discussion in 'Classic Threads' started by metalgear, 28 Sep 2019.

1. Legohamster

Legohamster Les Ferdinand

I’d imagine he would have been promised players in jan/summer.

I imagine him and Levy know it’s potentially the last chance either of them get to make it work.

NickTB likes this.
  2. MKSpur

MKSpur Johnny Morrison

Europa league with CL is a trophy that brings CL revenue and would live longer in the memory than finishing 2nd. I think the winners get better seeding too?
    It may not be a comparable achievement but that’s why cups were invented, to keep the season alive for as many clubs as possible. I think we will see a trend of English clubs winning it due to the strength of teams not competing for CL.

Last edited: 20 Nov 2019
  3. billyiddo

billyiddo Garth Crooks Staff Member

His defensive system at United appeared to be to field 7 defenders in the starting XI and isolate any forward players.

He speaks a good game on TV but i think people are in for a rude awakening when he gets up and running here.

United fans are tinkling themselves at this move from what i have seen.

A couple of years ago we were laughing at the thought of Poch leaving us for them, while they desperately wanted Mourinho out at all costs and now we've essentially done them a swap deal, on fudging purpose

Last edited: 20 Nov 2019
  4. ShipOfTheseus

ShipOfTheseus Roman Pavlyuchenko

I’m still clinging to the hope that it’s a smokescreen.

MKSpur likes this.
  5. Lakey

Lakey Ilie Dumitrescu

Sky reporting that Jose has agreed the deal now

6. Mulletperm

Mulletperm Young-Pyo Lee

I bloody hope not.

nayenezgani likes this.
  7. Rorschach

Rorschach Vivian Woodward

8. Rorschach

Rorschach Vivian Woodward

Tits

nayenezgani likes this.
  9. milo

milo Jack L. Jones

I completely agree. Levy has a habit of making managerial appointments that are a reaction to the last. It is a bad way to run the club and makes the rebuilding job bigger.

The club should have a vision about how we play and pick a manager that fits that. Based on the money we've spent and where, it should be someone who can work within a budget, is good at developing young players and preferably plays attractive football. Mourinho Is none of those things.

10. ShipOfTheseus

ShipOfTheseus Roman Pavlyuchenko

Never got round to it, fortunately. Although the children are quite annoying at times.

spurrrr likes this.
  11. DubaiSpur

DubaiSpur Paul Walsh

It's official, and what we have now, so get used to it, I guess.

I think you're right, though - this is a complete reaction to Poch, by going for a proven winner in Mourinho. It might be tempered by the fact that Levy's been hankering after Mourinho since 2007,but it's still reactionary given the differences between Mou and Poch.

The problem is, this requires a complete change in how we act as a club - we need to spend to bring in the players Mourinho wants.

If not, this is doomed to fail from the start.

Either Levy has decided to spend now, in which case, why not just spend on Poch? Or, he wants to try his cheapskate tactics again, but with Mourinho.

Mourinho, unfortunately, will not stand it for a femtosecond and will walk away - but not before leaving a trail of destruction here.

We'll see which it is in January.

Finney Is Back and milo like this.
  12. billyiddo

billyiddo Garth Crooks Staff Member

A change in style of play maybe but if you look at the type of players he signed at Chelsea first time around then signings like Lo Celso and Ndombele would fit in to that mould - Drogba, Robben, Essein etc

13. DubaiSpur

DubaiSpur Paul Walsh

Actually, we have attackers that are almost mirrors of his first Chelsea side - theoretically. Dele is a mirror image of Lampard - likewise Kane with Drogba, Son with Robben, Lo Celso with Joe Cole, etc.

Question of whether the defense holds up, really.

14. milo

milo Jack L. Jones

Mourinho would never walk away. He'd act like a clam until Levy sacked him.

Bullet, ShipOfTheseus and nayenezgani like this.
  15. Finney Is Back

Finney Is Back Ian Walker

In the season that Inter won the Champions league they had the 9th biggest income in World football and the second biggest in Italy (less than 7 million Euros behind Juventus).

However despite having only the 9th highest income they spent money like a team with far greater resources.... In the three years up to and including their CL winning season their unsustainable spending meant that they made losses 208 million, 148 million and 154 million (all in euros). So a total of over 500 million euros of losses in the three years up to and including that season. Inter's wage bill the season they won the CL was a whopping 205 million euros, which was over 1OO% of their income.... By quite a long way the biggest in Italy and to put in even more context 10% larger than Real Madrid's wage bill.

Do not be fooled into thinking that Mourinho won the CL on a budget with Inter. He did so with them having the second highest wage bill in World football behind Barcelona.

nayenezgani and Bishop like this.
  16. Finney Is Back

At Porto yes... not at Inter though. My worry is that Porto was eons ago in footballing terms.

milo likes this.
  17. Finney Is Back

But that is at two clubs that average a trophy a year anyway.

18. Bishop

Bishop Mauricio Taricco

Yeah there is this revisionism whereby people only look at the headline figures for that specific season. Inter spent absolute tons and to put it in even more perspective their wage bill in 2010 is some 60m MORE than spurs in 2019, nine whole years later. So yes Inter's situation is nothing like ours. Jose has never worked worked a club of our stature since his very first club Leira. Every other side has been a dominant team financially in their own league.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Fapatalk

milo likes this.
  19. scaramanga

scaramanga Mel Hopkins Staff Member

Probably needs replacing anyway

Finney Is Back likes this.
  20. Baleforce

Baleforce Steve Archibald

and they finished ahead of Barcelona