• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

New New Manager Poll (The Lets Get It Right This Time Edition)

Who Do You Want Then?

• Poch

Votes: 58 43.3%
  • Gallardo

Votes: 7 5.2%
  • De Zerbi

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Enrique

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Carrick

• Kompany

• Other

Votes: 23 17.2%
  • Tuchel

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nagelsmann

Votes: 24 17.9%
  • Slot

Votes: 17 12.7%

• Total voters
Maybe an issue...is out deadwood players. Would Poch want to turn them into something now still to prove a point? I believe he could, but they still won't be good enough. Poch will elevate players, but they'll revert to their underlying normal at points and let him down.

I think Poch would work well with Conte though. I think they would be a good match.

None of Ndombele, Lo Celso, Winks or Rodon are coming back for another chance. Moura, Tanganga and Sanchez are to all intents gone too. I think the two question marks are if he'd fancy Reguilon over Davies as the second LB. And I just don't see us being able to get rid of Perisic, unless we pay off his contract.

On the plus side though all of Spence, Gil, Udogie and Parrott come back potentially ready to become the next generation of Walkers, Roses and Allis.

None of Ndombele, Lo Celso, Winks or Rodon are coming back for another chance. Moura, Tanganga and Sanchez are to all intents gone too. I think the two question marks are if he'd fancy Reguilon over Davies as the second LB. And I just don't see us being able to get rid of Perisic, unless we pay off his contract.

On the plus side though all of Spence, Gil, Udogie and Parrott come back potentially ready to become the next generation of Walkers, Roses and Allis.
Parrot is a very, VERY long shot. I think we’ll sell Gill if we can get back his net book value and not have to book an impairment charge.

Parrot is a very, VERY long shot. I think we’ll sell Gill if we can get back his net book value and not have to book an impairment charge.
Parrott is indeed a long shot. He's already 21 and hasn't really done much in his loan spell. Even lost his spot in the Ireland squad to an 18-year old (Brighton really do uncover some gems). I'm still holding out hope for Gil. He has the skills and I'm not too worried about his slight build. Just needs a manager to put some trust in him so he can relax and play his game, instead of running around with something to prove. Conte really fudged up his development with us.

You live in pure fantasy at times ... you once asked me if I vote Conservative ... do you vote for fairies and leprechauns?

Impairment charge is only relevant if you have some banking covenants which relate to book value. Its non-cash and, other that an indication that we overpaid for an asset, is otherwise irrelevant

Poch was the right man at the right time in his first spell, is he the right man now? Now Tuchel is gone, I'd happily take Poch. He can achieve more with us. But building a side when there is an expectation of instant success is less easy. Our wages mean we can't easily move on our deadwood, and fans seem to expect a trophy or else.

I felt Poch lost some of his identify when he tried to make us more than a high-intensity pressing side. We never quite determined who we were, our style of play. And at the end he was desperately chopping and changing everything to try and make it work. On the upside, Poch is flexible and adaptable. But does he have a clear vision, and is he able to stick to it? Clarity and singular determination is what the likes of Conte possess. I don't think Poch has that. He'll adapt to the situation. He'll find ways to make players better - much better. But not necessarily impose his iron cast will. If Poch could incorporate singular focus/vision and combine it with all his coaching ability, then he can be one of the best in the business. I think Poch often does have spells of being this "ultimate" manager. But I don't think he can always sustain it. There are periods where he's truly an elite manager and other times where he lets things slide. But that is probably the same for most. It is just that Poch's methods are more demanding. If you don't have a pre-set vision, you have to work harder always.

He needs to rely on his coaching team and to make management more than his personal fiefdom. You need a team of coaching staff to support you and drive things forward even if you are not always capable yourself.

Poch could look to have a strong personality in the dressing room, a player he can hand the reigns over to on the field.
Always looked like he was trying to pass adjustments on through one player, rose, bentaleb, dier and harry all had periods of it.
For whatever reason it never worked out for any of them.

Honestly does it matter who we get in? The lethargy of winning things comes from the top.

If the fans know that all spurs have to do is try to be competitive and see what happens that surely stems down to the players. They will know it too.

Clubs like Liverpool, United, Chelsea, City etc have sick a different address during preseason and have expectations to go and win things.

Absolutely, but I mean even before a ball is kicked.
That will happen for some I’m sure
Buy in reality his CV is no worse than pochs was before he joined us. He won over fans quickly by playing football his way and engaging with the fans to bridge that gap

Buy in reality his CV is no worse than pochs was before he joined us. He won over fans quickly by playing football his way and engaging with the fans to bridge that gap

THing is he's 57 and had effectively still unproven given he's never managed in a remotely competitive or high quality league

Appointing him would be far more like Christian Gross than Poch

Absolutely zero chance

Honestly does it matter who we get in? The lethargy of winning things comes from the top.

If the fans know that all spurs have to do is try to be competitive and see what happens that surely stems down to the players. They will know it too.

Clubs like Liverpool, United, Chelsea, City etc have sick a different address during preseason and have expectations to go and win things.
It matters massively
Pool hadn’t been relevant for some years in the league until Klopp joined and connected the dots in and off the pitch
Jose changed things at Chelsea too by getting them over the line to win the title
City needed a manager to do that he at lift too and now look… (and they were throwing money around before hand)
The right man makes a big difference

THing is he's 57 and had effectively still unproven given he's never managed in a remotely competitive or high quality league

Appointing him would be far more like Christian Gross than Poch

Absolutely zero chance
I think it’s a very small chance and it would be if others can’t be brought in
But he has fans for sure

Again, I agree and my number 1 pick before Nagelsmann became available was Ange (I've posted a few times about him.) But the idea of getting in some battler from Scotland via Japan and Australia after missing out on Nagelsmann and Poch? He'll already face an uphill battle to win people over.

I know Celtic was a bit of a rough start, but Yokohama F Marinos was really rocky - they were in the relegation places for a while before finishing 12th, then it clicked in his second season and they blitzed the league.

Edit: @AdamB post is exactly what I mean, and it's fair enough. If I didn't know anything about him, I'd be wary too.

I can see Poch going to Madrid, Nagelsmann turning us down after we finish 5th (reports out today he only wants CL) and having to look at an Ange-type option. And that's fine.

I'm all for someone who isn't just here to further themselves with loads of strings attached, who plays good, progressive, entertaining football, that makes me want to watch the team again.

Sign me up!

Which managers have you heard described as a role model by other managers? Strange stick to beat Poch with.

Edit I'm sure Alex Ferguson coveted him as a Man Utd manager at one point.

You're misreading my comments or you're putting words in my mouth: I'm not beating Pochettino with anything. All I was saying is that he doesn't have such a reputation that his sacking would deter other managers to come here. If, for instance, Guardiola came here and was sacked after 14 months, you could see a number of up-and-coming managers thinking twice about trying their luck. Maybe that's what happened after Mourinho was sacked, for all I know.

There are plenty of managers who are/were considered as role models by their peers from Ernst Happel and Johan Cruyff to, more recently, Mourinho or Ancelotti. Then again, a big part of my day is spent translating football interviews, so maybe I see this as a bigger issue than it is in reality. To quote another famous manager, I'm left scratching my head after reading your comment as mine wasn't meant as a dig (or, maybe, one aimed at Pochettino's staunchest supporters). Alas, it's probably due to my mediocre mastery of your fine language...

Back