• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Money - Do we have it?

I normally pay very little attention to what is bandied about in the media. Most of the time it's there to sell papers, rather than give an accurate indication of what is actually going on. Or it's agents trying to get their players better deals (or a move) by tapping up their journo mates and getting them to write a story.

One paper is different for me. The Telegraph footballing view tends to be balanced and certainly more accurate than the majority of other media outlets. There is a section in the below that could well confirm what myself, and many others, have long feared. That we really don't have the expendable income that so many of our fans believe we have. Possibly because we can't afford to whilst we try and bulld a new stadium. I have always felt that Wenger covered for Arsenal's lack of budget for years, willingly taking the public flak for not investing when in reality there was no money to seriously invest with. At least until the new stadium was paid off. I think we may well be in the same boat, and may even explain our change in transfer tact over the last couple of seasons.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...e-for-being-a-maverick-like-Brian-Clough.html

The part that really stood out for me is below. Especially as someone already told me that Moyes was Spurs's number one target.

"The fear however was that Redknapp had taken this north London club as far as it will go without investment on the Emirates Marketing Project or Chelsea level.

Levy was said to favour a low-spending replacement - a Brendan Rodgers or David Moyes ÔÇô should Redknapp take the England job. Only last week the man known as ÔÇÿArry remarked that he had asked for Carlos Tevez and Gary Cahill in the last transfer window and ended up with Louis Saha and Ryan Nelsen.

Friction between Levy and Redknapp goes with the territory of dreamer-manager and money-conscious chairman. It was set to get worse this summer as the manager pressed his case for bigger spending."

If Redknapp does go, it's going to be interesting to see if he was the cause of these older short term signings.....or a victim of them.

I don't think there's much money to spend at all. It was very clear with Arsenal what building a stadium did to their transfer ability and I suspect something similar is happening with us.

Hopefully we won't get raped on our naming rights like they did, but until that money's there in front of us I don't see us spending much at all (hoping I'm proven massively wrong on this one though).

Low-spending doesnt have to be a disaster, if you spend it well, a la Saudi Sportswashing Machine over the last 12 months or so

Additionally, if you have a well-rehearsed system which all the players know (eg Swansea) you dont need Messi to perform well. Thats really something which I dont think we're had since Venables was at Spurs...we've always performed to less than the sum of the parts rather than greater than the sum of the parts. Again, contrast with Swansea who's team are individually probably championship standard at best

In theory we also dont need to spend massive amounts this summer if its spent well.

Say for instance you sign Adebayor (?ú8m), Hoilett (free), CB (?ú10m) and GK (?ú7m), thats ?ú25m going out and, whilst we would all like big names and lots of signings, those 4 would cover the main requirements.

Leaving would be Jenas (?ú4m), Bentley (?ú3m), Gio (?ú3m), Bassong (?ú5m) and Charlie (?ú5m) giving ?ú20m, so net ?ú5m spend

The squad wouldbe big enough with the new keeper and Big Bad Brad as GKs, 4 FBs, 5 CBs (6 if you include King), 4 decent CMs, Hoillett, Pienaar and Krancjar to cover for bale and Lennon and 4 CFs (along with Hoilett who can play there).

Again, we'd all like more and bigger names however if money really is tight then with only ?ú5m spent you can improve the squad

Low-spending doesnt have to be a disaster, if you spend it well, a la Saudi Sportswashing Machine over the last 12 months or so

Additionally, if you have a well-rehearsed system which all the players know (eg Swansea) you dont need Messi to perform well. Thats really something which I dont think we're had since Venables was at Spurs...we've always performed to less than the sum of the parts rather than greater than the sum of the parts. Again, contrast with Swansea who's team are individually probably championship standard at best

But the question is, do you think it's possible to have low spending and seriously challenge for the league title? Both ourselves and Arsenal have proved you can do it and still be in contention for top four finishes.

Thing is with Saudi Sportswashing Machine is we don't actually know what they've spent as most of their transfers were undisclosed. I bet they weren't as cheap as some people think either, as Saudi Sportswashing Machine had a bit of money to spend after offloading Carroll.

In theory we also dont need to spend massive amounts this summer if its spent well.

Say for instance you sign Adebayor (?ú8m), Hoilett (free), CB (?ú10m) and GK (?ú7m), thats ?ú25m going out and, whilst we would all like big names and lots of signings, those 4 would cover the main requirements.

Leaving would be Jenas (?ú4m), Bentley (?ú3m), Gio (?ú3m), Bassong (?ú5m) and Charlie (?ú5m) giving ?ú20m, so net ?ú5m spend

The squad wouldbe big enough with the new keeper and Big Bad Brad as GKs, 4 FBs, 5 CBs (6 if you include King), 4 decent CMs, Hoillett, Pienaar and Krancjar to cover for bale and Lennon and 4 CFs (along with Hoilett who can play there).

Again, we'd all like more and bigger names however if money really is tight then with only ?ú5m spent you can improve the squad

Wouldn't want Ade to sign now to be honest. I think he has been very poor for months. Even if he does sign, I believe we need to sign two forwards. That will leave Ade, Defoe, VDV and New Striker.

Emirates Marketing Project were never going to sell us a player at that stage of the season given the league table ....especially not a quality player. Cahill had his heart set on Chelsea, probably as they were in CL. Coyle's talk about his relationship with Chelsea etc at the time made it sound like a done deal before anyone else came calling.

Don't think either of those examples not signing for us have anything to do with cash flow or what we could have offered.

If I were Levy even if there was money to spend I would not advertise it, why risk being charged Emirates Marketing Project or Chelsea prices? Clubs and agents would resist an opportunity to fleece us if they could

Wouldn't want Ade to sign now to be honest. I think he has been very poor for months. Even if he does sign, I believe we need to sign two forwards. That will leave Ade, Defoe, VDV and New Striker.

I agree with what you say however if, as suggested, money is tight, then I could see us going into next year with Ade, VdV, Defoe, Saha and Hoillett as CF options. Might not be good enough to sustain a title challenge as there isnt good enough cover for when Ade's forms drops (as it has recently) but if the aim it to challenge for the top 4 again whilst watching the cash, then that would be good enough

I am a big Defoe fan but I think it would be best for his career and for Spurs (if Harry stays) that he move on. He deserves regular first team football and he will not get it here. Even if we play 433 he cannot play as either a winger or the loan central striker. I think we need strikers that can both play with a partner and play on their own as a central striker. Unfortunately Defoe cannot do that

But the question is, do you think it's possible to have low spending and seriously challenge for the league title? Both ourselves and Arsenal have proved you can do it and still be in contention for top four finishes.

No I dont think it is. My scenario above where we spend net ?ú5m would be enough to challenge for the top 4 again but not the title. I would expect that to be our aim for the next 3-4 years til we have a new stadium. If you were to offer Levy that we would challenge for a top 4 spot for the next 4 years pre new stadium and qualified for the CL in 2 of those 4 years then he would bite your hand off

I made this very same point in the transfer rumour thread yesterday, that altough i do not think we are poor i do not belive we are cash rich.

Do not know if anyone can find what the debt levels of the club are but i have heard several times the 50m figure. Which even if it is linked to the trainning ground move or the stadium build is still a debt that needs to be serviced each year.

It is why i am not completely against selling modric, we have not always replaced our good players well we did not do it straight away with berbatov and carrick. But i do think we are getting better at indetifying players.

The are other ways to make savings in the squad the fact that gomes who is on 60,000 a week or 3m a year is our third choice keeper is shocking to me, squad players who can come in and do a job should not be on the sort of wages we are paying some of our squad players.

Feel that levy needs to learn sometimes to except a little less to get players out of the club as would be the case with dos santos.

Going for a moyes who is not someone im overly keen on would be ok because what i really want is us not to go into debt while we build the stadium and end up in divison 1. I can think of no club that has spent money while building a stadium.

The players are out there but we need a manager who does not have his eyes on the top players all the time but on players we could afford. It is like me walking round harrods looking at shirts when im a marks and spencer/john lewis man.

If we could get 50m for modric you could bring in sigguardson and elm and still have 30m to put towards a striker or 2.

Hopefully we won't get raped on our naming rights like they did, but until that money's there in front of us I don't see us spending much at all (hoping I'm proven massively wrong on this one though).

Wow, just looked it up, Arsenal really got raped didn't they? ?ú100m for 15 years of shirt AND stadium sponsorship. Shocking from their management, that deal should netting them ?ú250m+ over than amount of time considering their global appeal.

Levy really is an excellent chairman. In comparison to that woeful deal, Levy got us a ?ú20m/2Year deal with Autonomy in 2010 for shirts sponsorship alone, and I don't think thats even including our cup shirt sponsorship from Investec

if we have to go a few seasons without spending big money because of the new stadium, then i can accept that

Also wonder how much it would cost to get redknapp out of the last year of his contract and then get moyes. If redknapp is on 5m a year there is 5m plus if moyes is on say 2.5 a year and has a few years on his contract then i assume you could be looking at 10m for a change of manager.

GHod damn the F.A. for showing some common sense for a change.

As at Jun 2011, our net debt was ?ú57m.

At that time, the value of the NDP on our books was ?ú84m and the new training centre was ?ú28m. I'm surprised the asset value of the NDP was so high at that stage, though it would reflect the amount invested in buying up land and buildings as well as the millions which we must have spent on architect, planning, legal fees etc

We bid 40m for aguero in january 2011. We must have some money

I heard we also bid for mata and remy but im not convinced that was not because we were going to sell further down the line. Also wonder if it is like i often do with my wife and say we will go to visit your friends if it stops rainning even though i have seen the forecast and know it is going to rain all day long.

Levy might have bid for players he knew he could not get to keep the fans happy and season ticket sales high.

Back