• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Money - Do we have it?

As at Jun 2011, our net debt was ?ú57m.

At that time, the value of the NDP on our books was ?ú84m and the new training centre was ?ú28m. I'm surprised the asset value of the NDP was so high at that stage, though it would reflect the amount invested in buying up land and buildings as well as the millions which we must have spent on architect, planning, legal fees etc

Thank you adam, now i start to get confused because we have all heard different figures about how much the NDP will cost but i do not suppose we have anyway of knowing how much of that cost we have already paid.

I think the size of our squad and Levy's inability to just cash in with a loss and get rid of players that will never play for us again, is a bigger issue.

Wow, just looked it up, Arsenal really got raped didn't they? ?ú100m for 15 years of shirt AND stadium sponsorship. Shocking from their management, that deal should netting them ?ú250m+ over than amount of time considering their global appeal.

Levy really is an excellent chairman. In comparison to that woeful deal, Levy got us a ?ú20m/2Year deal with Autonomy in 2010 for shirts sponsorship alone, and I don't think thats even including our cup shirt sponsorship from Investec

The market was much lower back then anyway but the main reason it was so low was because Emirates paid cash up front which in turn probably helped save Arsenal some money by being able to pay for materials and construction etc up front.

I think the size of our squad and Levy's inability to just cash in with a loss and get rid of players that will never play for us again, is a bigger issue.

No it's not, most of the players that you are talking about (Gio/Jenas/Bentley/etc. I assume) probably have little to no book value.

While not an accountant, it seems a lot of people are confused about how a business is run, it is not as simple as we made $10 last year, have $5 in expenses, hence we have $5 to spend. Tottenham has historically been willing to spend money, however the plan over the next five years must include Stadium expenses, potentially higher wages (if we plan to keep players of Modric/Bale/Ade level) and cannot be based on CL revenue (too much risk).

My opinion is we have been trying to cut back the squad for the next set of player investments, but have been hampered by the Harry situation over the last year (court case and England job), it would have simply been bad business to give a manager 50M+ to invest if yu don't know if he's going to be around in less than a season.

So short answer for me, Yes Tottenham has spending ability, probably more than we suspect, but it's going to be more along the lines of, for only the right player(s).

We arent totally flush with cash, and are not likely to go out and spend ?ú30m on a player, so no, not rich.I think quite clearly though Levy has a certain deal he likes, that being a young player of obvious potential where at the least we wont lose money and most likely we will make money.Berbatov, Bentley, Modric, Bale, Sandro.... In each case he has shown the will to spend big and/or spend a lot of time to get the player in.Present him with a deal like this and there will always be money available IMHO.Aside from that, his willingness to go with Harry and get the likes of Gallas, Friedel and Parker shows he is willing to take his managers wishes and make them happen. Yes, these were cheap or free, but I bet the 3 alone have made a significant impact to our wage bill. (Saha and Nelsen I doubt were cheap either)So no, I dont think Harry is a victim of a lack of funds. I just think he and Levy have incompatible transfer ideals.This is the chief reason I want Harry replaced (following on from Adam B). Given the resources available (both players and ?ú?ú?ú) I do believe Harry could have done a lot better. This is not to say he hasnt done well.I believe a manager that has a set system of play would have had us playing to a higher level with greater consistency. I also think a manger with a set style of play would have made more considered purchases to shape the squad around that style.

We arent totally flush with cash, and are not likely to go out and spend ?ú30m on a player, so no, not rich.I think quite clearly though Levy has a certain deal he likes, that being a young player of obvious potential where at the least we wont lose money and most likely we will make money.Berbatov, Bentley, Modric, Bale, Sandro.... In each case he has shown the will to spend big and/or spend a lot of time to get the player in.Present him with a deal like this and there will always be money available IMHO.Aside from that, his willingness to go with Harry and get the likes of Gallas, Friedel and Parker shows he is willing to take his managers wishes and make them happen. Yes, these were cheap or free, but I bet the 3 alone have made a significant impact to our wage bill. (Saha and Nelsen I doubt were cheap either)So no, I dont think Harry is a victim of a lack of funds. I just think he and Levy have incompatible transfer ideals.This is the chief reason I want Harry replaced (following on from Adam B). Given the resources available (both players and ?ú?ú?ú) I do believe Harry could have done a lot better. This is not to say he hasnt done well.I believe a manager that has a set system of play would have had us playing to a higher level with greater consistency. I also think a manger with a set style of play would have made more considered purchases to shape the squad around that style.

Agreed.

We bid big on Aguero last January and this january it seems we did the same for Remy. It's clear to me we have cash to spend but Levy isn't going to let Redknapp spend it when it isn't even clear if he will be our manager next season and/or on players that are old.

Redknapp said that Spurs were in for 16 mill Phil Jones in the summer. Weve been looking closely at Remy and Hazard. Im sure the cash is there for the right deals(young/right age, talented) its just up to the manager to identify these players and be 100% about signing them. Levy probably wants to feel the manager is absolutely convinced by the deal before he shells out the cash.

Redknapp said that Spurs were in for 16 mill Phil Jones in the summer. We've been looking closely at Remy and Hazard. I'm sure the cash is there for the right deals(young/right age, talented) its just up to the manager to identify these players and be 100% about signing them. Levy probably wants to feel the manager is absolutely convinced by the deal before he shells out the cash.

And that has been the major problem with Redknapp, he can not make his mind up over players he has no experience of.

Good read, didn't read it in its entirety but what I would say is that the extra 30m in wages we were paying in our Champions League season has probably been somewhat offset by offloading the wages of Keane, Pav, Crouch, Palacios and Woodgate. Will be interesting to see this year's figures.

You wont see them - we're not a public company any more so dont need to disclose anything (aside from that with Companies House, in which case it would be limited)

I normally pay very little attention to what is bandied about in the media. Most of the time it's there to sell papers, rather than give an accurate indication of what is actually going on. Or it's agents trying to get their players better deals (or a move) by tapping up their journo mates and getting them to write a story.

One paper is different for me. The Telegraph footballing view tends to be balanced and certainly more accurate than the majority of other media outlets. There is a section in the below that could well confirm what myself, and many others, have long feared. That we really don't have the expendable income that so many of our fans believe we have. Possibly because we can't afford to whilst we try and bulld a new stadium. I have always felt that Wenger covered for Arsenal's lack of budget for years, willingly taking the public flak for not investing when in reality there was no money to seriously invest with. At least until the new stadium was paid off. I think we may well be in the same boat, and may even explain our change in transfer tact over the last couple of seasons.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...e-for-being-a-maverick-like-Brian-Clough.html

The part that really stood out for me is below. Especially as someone already told me that Moyes was Spurs's number one target.

"The fear however was that Redknapp had taken this north London club as far as it will go without investment on the Emirates Marketing Project or Chelsea level.

Levy was said to favour a low-spending replacement - a Brendan Rodgers or David Moyes – should Redknapp take the England job. Only last week the man known as ‘Arry remarked that he had asked for Carlos Tevez and Gary Cahill in the last transfer window and ended up with Louis Saha and Ryan Nelsen.

Friction between Levy and Redknapp goes with the territory of dreamer-manager and money-conscious chairman. It was set to get worse this summer as the manager pressed his case for bigger spending."

If Redknapp does go, it's going to be interesting to see if he was the cause of these older short term signings.....or a victim of them.

Redknapp I the victim of being a bent spiv and a fraud. Nothing else. IMO.

Levy was said to favour a low-spending replacement - a Brendan Rodgers or David Moyes

When / where did Levy say that?

EDIT: Just to add - even Arry has said on numerous times Levy would be prepared to spend large pessos on the right players including those rejected bids in Spain last year - the one you still claim were hoax

Last edited:
To add. Te only way Levy will sell spurs for what he wants to is with u being a regular champs league team. And spending £400 million on a new ground would contradict the idea we won't invest, (hopefully we will finally approve this soon) our wage bill has rocketed under Harry, largely on dross.

Back