• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mata to utd. Draxler to arsenal. Are we fu**ed?

Can we realistically buy another player with Bale's quality for 80 million quid? World class players do not come along very often especially at Spurs. We gave Bale and Modric big long-term contracts. The contracts did not really mean anything at the end when richer clubs can spend big on other players. We have been having to rebuild the team almost every season. Bigger teams do not normally have to worry about having to lose star players against their wishes but we have to every year. I wish that football adopts the American system where there is virtually no transfer fees. Then the contract will mean something when six-year contract really mean six years.

in our position it's not really possible to go out and buy an 80m pound player, very few clubs have that luxury - much less ones who aren't regular Champions League participants.

what we have done, in a long term sense, with the signings of Bale and Modric (to look at just two of our player transfers) is turn a 26m investment in the team to a 110m (approx) investment. the sale of two players have helped finance a far greater number, each with an individual potential which could go on to increase the original investment further - obviously the aim is to eventually get to a point where investment equals success on the pitch, it's a sound business plan for a club like ours to under take which can allow us to punch higher. you dismiss the value of the respective contracts of each but it is exactly that which has allowed us to claim top dollar for their acquisition.

This all goes back to the last two seasons when we have failed to topple arsenal to CL

A lot of people in here said that we should not be thinking about arsenal etc.

Sorry but if you are from North london and have to interact with these arrogant self satisfying ****s you'd understand why it was so important to get one over on them.

Not only are their fans goading us but so are their players (Ozil, Walcott doing the 2-0 signs recently)

We are to blame for arsenal's recent ascendency, the likes of ozil and draxler would not be looking at them if they were not in the CL

GB says we need a new stadium and a DOF who will work with the 1st team coach to move forward. I say we need a new mentality - from the manager, the chairman and the fans

Agreed. If we would not have bottled it during the run in on several occasions, I believe our positions would now be reversed. The failure to buy a top striker in any of those winter windows was the single most important reason we didn't clinch that spot IMO. We only have ourselves to blame

2005 was the real opportunity, had we knocked them out of it back then, with the new stadium build underway we could have put them back years, maybe even bankrupted them for good

2005 was the real opportunity, had we knocked them out of it back then, with the new stadium build underway we could have put them back years, maybe even bankrupted them for good

ah the season we got poisioned before the last game so it didnt happen, scudamore at highbury for its last ever game too, wouldnt be the 1st time arsenal conspired to cheat for their own good

Agreed. If we would not have bottled it during the run in on several occasions, I believe our positions would now be reversed. The failure to buy a top striker in any of those winter windows was the single most important reason we didn't clinch that spot IMO. We only have ourselves to blame

the only time i truly believed we messed up a Jan window was last years. we had two strikers in the squad, one seemingly not interested and the other not scoring. the years previous, imo, didn't warrant transfer deals as we had capable options in the squad - they just didn't get used (or were loaned out for some unfathomable reason)

the only time i truly believed we messed up a Jan window was last years. we had two strikers in the squad, one seemingly not interested and the other not scoring. the years previous, imo, didn't warrant transfer deals as we had capable options in the squad - they just didn't get used (or were loaned out for some unfathomable reason)

We ballsed it up every time IMO. A few more goals would probably have taken us over the line on each occasion. I remember having this debate on GG and others kept saying the stadium was more important! it wasnt a case of chicken and egg at all. we had the chance to get the chicken and blew it. with regular CL, better players and a new stadium would have followed as sure as night follows day. The Arsnl knew. Oh well, sigh.

everyone can ALWAYS make the argument that another XY or Z will have got them an extra couple of points needed for whatever targets they narrowly missed out on, however in the 11/12 season with the gap we had and the squad players at our disposal (not to mention question marks over the managers long term commitment to the job) i fully understand why we never strengthened much that window. we let a 14 million pound forward rot on the bench for 6 months but come Jan we're in desperate need of another one to help us over the line when we already had an 11 point lead? do me a favor :lol:

True but for me nothing compares to Louise Saha and Ryan Nelson, literally threw away top three there and then, genuinely felt like putting my fist through my laptop screen.

Also leaving it until the very last day of the Jan 2011 window to try sign.....

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2011/jan/31/spurs-atletico-madrid-sergio-aguero

During the first few weeks of living in my then new place in Brighton we didn't have internet so I found out about his move to Emirates Marketing Project during a televised pre-season tournament in Dublin involving them after coming back from work. When the commentator said he cost £38m a shudder went down my spine.

There's a lot of 'what ifs' in football but Aguero up front on his own with VdV behind is one of the biggest we've seen ](*,)

everyone can ALWAYS make the argument that another XY or Z will have got them an extra couple of points needed for whatever targets they narrowly missed out on, however in the 11/12 season with the gap we had and the squad players at our disposal (not to mention question marks over the managers long term commitment to the job) i fully understand why we never strengthened much that window. we let a 14 million pound forward rot on the bench for 6 months but come Jan we're in desperate need of another one to help us over the line when we already had an 11 point lead? do me a favor :lol:

Yes but we didn't strengthen and We all know what happened next. Massive mistake IMO and we are still paying the price today. Will history repeat itself? With Defoe off, we certainly need another front line striker, unless Chadli or Lamela can step up. Benteke or Bony would be my idea of an alternative to one of the main strikers.

And surely we need cover or competition for Rose. If he gets injured or loses form, we risk destabilizing the whole team and tactics as we just don't have an alternative flying left back.

Last edited:
in our position it's not really possible to go out and buy an 80m pound player, very few clubs have that luxury - much less ones who aren't regular Champions League participants.

what we have done, in a long term sense, with the signings of Bale and Modric (to look at just two of our player transfers) is turn a 26m investment in the team to a 110m (approx) investment. the sale of two players have helped finance a far greater number, each with an individual potential which could go on to increase the original investment further - obviously the aim is to eventually get to a point where investment equals success on the pitch, it's a sound business plan for a club like ours to under take which can allow us to punch higher. you dismiss the value of the respective contracts of each but it is exactly that which has allowed us to claim top dollar for their acquisition.

I think there's a glass ceiling just above the point we're at.

I believe that we can fill our squad with as many £20-30M players as we like, we won't regularly be a top 4 club without at least one of those top players. All the top teams have them and until we do, I think we'll be waiting for them to have a terrible season in order for us to get 4th. Or have terrible injury problems like Utd missing Rooney & RvP.

Agreed. Or a real top motivational manager like a Mourinho or even dare whisper it TS ???

I thought this a couple of years back when City bought their way into the top four, almost gave up on football, but then we have that great season which although ended badly (Chelsea winning the CL) showed me that our model can still compete short term.

Agreed. Or a real top motivational manager like a Mourinho or even dare whisper it TS ???

Mourinho is so, so, so much more than a motivational manager. TS will need to be much better than Mourinho for us to regularly compete with Chelski as they outweigh us financially by such a large margin.

I thought this a couple of years back when City bought their way into the top four, almost gave up on football, but then we have that great season which although ended badly (Chelsea winning the CL) showed me that our model can still compete short term.

Although had Chelsea not ****ed up so badly in the league we wouldn't have got in the top 4 anyway.

For me, that's not competing, that's sniffing around the bins waiting for the top 4 to throw something out.

Arsenal were already cemented in the top 3 so why does this make any difference?!

Man U have mata but they still have an awful midfield and defence

Arsenal were already cemented in the top 3 so why does this make any difference?!

Man U have mata but they still have an awful midfield and defence

im talking seasons to come cemented. with rooney and rvp back fit plus mata (not to mention new signings in the summer) they will shoot up the table. arsenal were the weak link but with ozil and draxler its all over for us

Last edited:
Back