• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Japhet Tanganga

Used to know a Spurs coach and Alton Thelwell was higher rated than King coming through the youth ranks too back in the day.

Just thought I’d add that, not disagreeing with your view on Tangana or anything, I’d need to see a few more injury free games from him to make my mind up.

I remember Thelwell as a kid and he did look more dynamic than King, he wasnt tall enough to play centreback and I think the club didnt know where to play him, fullback or midfield.

I remember Thelwell as a kid and he did look more dynamic than King, he wasnt tall enough to play centreback and I think the club didnt know where to play him, fullback or midfield.
Both made their debut vs pool away IIRC. And Thelwell was the one who looked better at the time

It's only my opinion, doesn't count for anything. As I said, I'd love for my initial opinion to be proved wrong.

I know, and I appreciate that you were very measured in how you stated it.
But as he's only made 6 league appearances, and that was in the weird state of last season, I'm not really able to even have a full opinion of him yet for myself.
I know there's been four or five other games in cups but I'd want to see him playing a few consecutive games, ideally with mainly the same defensive colleagues, before getting a true feel of how he can be.

To extend on what I have written above. Tanganga does have good pace and seems to be a dedicated professional , so the hope for me is that good coaching and the player that onboard could see him improve his positioning and then that pace he has gives him a chance.

Interestingly enough Timothy Eyoma was more highly rated than Tanganga as the two were coming through the youth teams. Not sure what's happened to him though in the last year or two?
Injured and then on loan
He definitely was the one who was destined to make it though I agree.
He is still only 20 and getting some games at Lincoln

Used to know a Spurs coach and Alton Thelwell was higher rated than King coming through the youth ranks too back in the day.

Just thought I’d add that, not disagreeing with your view on Tangana or anything, I’d need to see a few more injury free games from him to make my mind up.
Alton Thelwell also had that same sort of high praise and expectation after coming in for a game out of nowhere and doing OK.... For reasons I can't quite put my finger on I don't remember much of those Spurs games I attended back when I was in my twenties so can't think whether I rated him or not :D

Alton Thelwell also had that same sort of high praise and expectation after coming in for a game out of nowhere and doing OK.... For reasons I can't quite put my finger on I don't remember much of those Spurs games I attended back when I was in my twenties so can't think whether I rated him or not :D
Phil Ifil anyone?!?

He looked class as a kid, surprised he didnt make it.
Its the way
I posted in the youth thread an interview with Alex Inglethorpe and he talks about youth development
Most players have the talent, very few have the mentality
They look at 3 stages of development. Boys footy, boys to men, men to mindset basically
And they can’t and don’t predict when it will happen for each player

Its the way
I posted in the youth thread an interview with Alex Inglethorpe and he talks about youth development
Most players have the talent, very few have the meteorology
They look at 3 stages of development. Boys footy, boys to men, men to mindset basically

I can see that. The structure is wrong between u18 and 1st team football, players need to play with and against men not boys of their own age who they've probably been playing against since they were in primary school.

I can see that. The structure is wrong between u18 and 1st team football, players need to play with and against men not boys of their own age who they've probably been playing against since they were in primary school.
The hardest bit they day is they is the mentality change
It’s what makes Kane stand out vs others

Its the way
Most players have the talent, very few have the meteorology
Sometimes they don’t make it and they just reach The end of the Road.

Sometimes they don’t make it and they just reach The end of the Road.

eyeroll-7.gif

The one that got away was Tony Gardner. He -at one point- looked superb, and I thought he and Ledley were going to be the CBs for us and England. I cannot remember why it didn't happen. Injuries???

I could be very wrong on Tanganga (I certainly hope to be) but I think he looks more Anthony Gardner than Ledley King in terms of ability

He did better than expected in his first game against Liverpool but it just looks to me that his talent is a bit exaggerated.... I haven't seen that he looks positionally particularly great, I'm not sure he has the physicality to play at centre half and I'm not sure that he is skillful enough to play as a modern fullback.

As I say, I really hope that he proves me wrong but I don't see him becoming a CL level defender.

I still feel like Gardner is the one who got away, seemed to have all the attributes and was apparently the fastest player in the PL as well but played more like the BFG than an aggressive dominant defender.

Back