• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Harry Kane MBE

View attachment 4687 View attachment 4688

Readily available in the fake football shirt world

It has already ended well, IMO. With low expectations and an inexperienced team with plenty passengers, Southgate has now taken England to their third WC semi final ever. It will take a Germany-Brazil type battering for any sensible person to be disappointed in England's performance this WC.

Of course, with the opposition being Russia/Croatia rather than say Italy/Argentina in the semi, on paper this is a golden opportunity for you to actually reach the final. And once there, anything can happen, so disappointment will be understandable if you lose.

I was talking about this last night. disappointment, yes, but IMO it will be unacceptable for the press to batter the team or any individual components after this showing. As you said, we are in the semi's of the World Cup. I'd be gutted for us to bow out now, but really optimistic about the future under Southgate and this team.

It has already ended well, IMO. With low expectations and an inexperienced team with plenty passengers, Southgate has now taken England to their third WC semi final ever. It will take a Germany-Brazil type battering for any sensible person to be disappointed in England's performance this WC.

Of course, with the opposition being Russia/Croatia rather than say Italy/Argentina in the semi, on paper this is a golden opportunity for you to actually reach the final. And once there, anything can happen, so disappointment will be understandable if you lose.

Its really weird, I dont disagree at all - whatever happens this is a success - but...

...Im looking at that team and thinking they could be doing better!

I said in the Trippier thread I think he is coming of age - I think the same of Kane. The captaincy, the stage, I just feel like he is taking another step "up" in his performances and maturity. Kane was great before, I think he just got better.

Its really weird, I dont disagree at all - whatever happens this is a success - but...

...Im looking at that team and thinking they could be doing better!

I said in the Trippier thread I think he is coming of age - I think the same of Kane. The captaincy, the stage, I just feel like he is taking another step "up" in his performances and maturity. Kane was great before, I think he just got better.
The irony is, Kane has had way, way fewer attempts on goal from open play during this tournament than when playing for his club. He's only had two or three shots from range thus far and the goals he has scored have all come either directly from a set piece or from close range following one. Whereas in club competitions, along with Ronaldo he's usually way ahead of everyone else for attempts on goal.

World Cup 2018: Attempts on goal to date

18 - Neymar
14 - Coutinho
14 - Griezmann
12 - Cavani
12 - Ronaldo
11 - Cheryshev
10 - Diego Costa
10 - Eden Hazard
9 - Kane
9 - Modric
9 - Suarez
9 - Son

(Source: BBC)

Much down to the all-out thuggish treatment he been getting of course, but also it seems because of the way he has been encouraged by Southgate to come a lot deeper than usual. The man in the waistcoat has emphasised the importance of runners coming from deep and getting in beyond him. The outcome is that in open play Kane seems to be much more of a link man / provider than he is for Tottenham.

I can't say I watch Lukaku much but I do think there's some comparison that can be made: Kane and Lukaku both have adapted to their international teams' dynamics and have been doing a lot of off-the-ball work and helping with build-up/playmaking instead of waiting for the team to provide for them.

Honestly, I kind of get a feeling we're going to see a rematch of Belgium-England, except with their actual teams this time.

I can't say I watch Lukaku much but I do think there's some comparison that can be made: Kane and Lukaku both have adapted to their international teams' dynamics and have been doing a lot of off-the-ball work and helping with build-up/playmaking instead of waiting for the team to provide for them.

Honestly, I kind of get a feeling we're going to see a rematch of Belgium-England, except with their actual teams this time.

Lukaku though still hasn’t mastered controlling the ball

The second goal the other day took him 5 touchés before he ran with it

I don't get the fuss. He is not world class but plays the perfect strikers role. Keep the opinions we can just enjoy the talent that is Harry kane

The problem is when you get pundits who were barely international class talking about a whole different level they just don’t know how to compare

To be the top scorer over 4 seasons and still be 24 in the biggest league in the world is massive... he hasn’t been in and out of the top charts, he has had owned them on every level and got better and better

Plus arguing it's easier to score in the PL than in Spain. He may have a point about Italy, even if his evidence is based ludicrously on Ian Rush's experience all of 30 years ago.

Brady despises Tottenham with a vengeance, always has done, always will. I have all too vivid a memory of the time back in the 80s whenhe ran over to the Shelf in order to mock and make rude gestures at the fans after scoring against us in what was one of the most forgettable NLDs ever.

Lukaku though still hasn’t mastered controlling the ball

The second goal the other day took him 5 touchés before he ran with it

You can tell Henry has got in his ear about running at pace with the ball. He's strong at it but he's not got the finishing ability that Kane has. I've also not often seen Lukaku try his luck from range.

You can tell Henry has got in his ear about running at pace with the ball. He's strong at it but he's not got the finishing ability that Kane has. I've also not often seen Lukaku try his luck from range.

The guy has no finesse and is quite brutish so needs a lot of coaching on things like finishing

He is the nearest to Drogba I’ve seen but IMO he plays the same way he did when he was 18

Drogba was also a fundamentally better footballer. Much better all round ability, touch, skill, use of weaker foot, intelligence...

Was Drogba that effective at this age though

Drogba was playing a much lower level at the same age IIRC and kind came of age much later.... I think he was panting for Guingamp or someone like that and then went to Marseille

Was Drogba that effective at this age though

Drogba was playing a much lower level at the same age IIRC and kind came of age much later.... I think he was panting for Guingamp or someone like that and then went to Marseille

No, he matured a fair bit later.

I think the fundamentals were always there though.

I can see the comparisons between he and Lukaku, but I dont think they bear more than a superficial passing. If you look at what each player really has in his locker, Lukaku is the inferior by a distance - IMO.

Back