• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Harry Kane MBE

You're fundamentally changing the game then because that's always been part of it.

this is nothing new, it happens every game

the fundamental change would be expecting Kane to have to aerially challenge for every dropping ball

football is cat and mouse, Kane has found a benefit here within the laws of the game, when he does back in it's a FK against him, opposition players need to deal with him differently in these situations

On the basis of that flawed argument, any time two players jump there is a risk of one of them landing awkwardly and seriously injuring themselves. Football is a contact sport, and injury is always a risk. I do not believe that Kane backing in to win a foul is any worse than two people jumping together using their arms as leverage, which is generally considered to be acceptable conduct. In both cases, somebody could get injured, but that is not enough to make it a reckless act in my view.

Or be closer to Kane in the first place so that when the ball is in the air they are able to nip in front and win it. There are certain situations where you simply cannot win the ball, and if you are behind the player that is one of those situations. Defenders shouldn't try and win balls they cannot possibly win; they are better off trying to win the second ball from the lay off, or tackle cleanly once Kane has brought it down.
Or do what Kane does - read the flight of the ball early and be the first person to get under it.

It'll be interesting to see how referees react to this tactic in future. Pretty clear that Carraghers' mischievous agenda in highlighting it was (a) to try and deter Kane from attempting it, (b) to stir up opposition fans against him and (c) draw the attention of referees to it in order hopefully to persuade them to award a foul the other way.

It'll be interesting to see how referees react to this tactic in future. Pretty clear that Carraghers' mischievous agenda in highlighting it was (a) to try and deter Kane from attempting it, (b) to stir up opposition fans against him and (c) draw the attention of referees to it in order hopefully to persuade them to award a foul the other way.
No different to the Dele cheating campaign, look how that turned out.

Wow. Lots of, erm "discussion" on here. I'm with Deano on this one.

If you take out a player when neither of you has the ball, it's a foul. If you move to prevent a player from getting to the ball, without playing the ball yourself, it's obstruction. And yes, I would like to see an end to the ridiculous shielding of the ball as it goes out of play -- there was one prime example by Aurier against Arsenal. Other sports enforce it, so why can't football?

So where does Kane winning fouls fit? The way I see it, he's well within his rights to stand his ground or continue a run. What I don't like is him moving, quite deliberately, into a position that results in contact with a player who's in the air when that player is on the way back down. It's intentional and dangerous play. He absolutely knows what he's doing.

Plenty of other players do similar stuff and it's nothing new -- I remember an interviewee saying that Kenny Dalglish had the biggest arse in football -- but I would have no complaints if it was clamped down upon. As long as the rule is applied fairly across the board.

Do I have any confidence that the rule will be applied fairly? Nope. Like Sonny, and Bale before him, not being awarded even the clearest of penalties due to their supposed diving reputation.

Last edited:
Now I have an image of Kenny Dalglish's arse being clamped down tightly to a workbench, whilst Graeme Sounness pours olive oil onto it and licks his fork.

Now I have an image of Kenny Dalglish's arse being clamped down tightly to a workbench, whilst Graeme Sounness pours olive oil onto it and licks his fork.
fudging hell mate, there's no need for that. A problem shared isn't always a problem halved.

Now all I can see is Souness's olive-oil soaked 'tache popping up from behind Dalglish's pasty cheeks.

Kane is not between them and the ball when the defender is attempting to head the ball. He moves into their path and leans into them. With what you're suggesting, no player should ever take a running jump for a header because someone, like Kane, could move between them and the ball.

Absolutely right.
If a player is smart enough to get themselves between the defender and the ball, then adjust! Why is that so hard? Did you ever see Ledley King caught out by the Drogba's of this world? In fact, none of the top-class CBs get caught, it is the jobbers. Sorry mate, we're going to have to agree to disagree.

On the issue of intelligence, I am still livid that Kane did not get a pen at the Death Star last season when that brick goon defender whateverhisnameis clattered into him because Kane slowed up a touch. Kane got called a diver and a cheat; again, is there a rule that once you're running you have to run as fast as you can? Is there a rule which says you can't check your run slightly? And why did "Dennis" continue clodding into him? Because he's a clod!

Yup, Carragher making a song and dance of this ahead of our visit to Clanfield :mad:

I’m sure mind-games Mourinho will have a retort ready to make sure the referee doesn’t hand LiVARpool the 3pts on a plate though.

Yup, Carragher making a song and dance of this ahead of our visit to Clanfield :mad:

I’m sure mind-games Mourinho will have a retort ready to make sure the referee doesn’t hand LiVARpool the 3pts on a plate though.
Mods please add Clanfield as a new autocorrect!

Back