• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

European Super League - Dead on arrival

I didn’t read it as that, I read his reasoning as being that it isn’t based on sporting merit.
In which case I hope you both have an intense dislike for the PL and will be protesting against it soon.

The last team to win it that wasn't financially doped, (rumoured to be) player doped, both, or the biggest global brand in football was the goons in 2004.

You're comparing to other sports that do not have the pyramid system of promotion and relegation. They are not comparable situations. We have a history in this story and that history is what creates the rich tapestry of fan following. You can't unilaterally change the make changes to the structure of the game and not expect a partisan reaction from the fans. We dot want the ESL and we do not want the elitist structure it promotes.

Considering how many fans on here wax lyrically about progressing "the right way" why are you surprised that as a fan base we DO NOT support an elitist non merit based European competition. I would think it would be obvious that the Spurs fan base leans the other way.

Yes people will have a problem with creating an explicitly closed shop (The ESL), that changes the dynamics of the 100+ years of football structure.

I don't know why you find it so hard to understand? If the ESL had open merit based participation much like the UEFA competitions already do then the reaction to it's announcement would have been very different.

It is the permanently closed loop of the ESL that created the problem. Your making strawman arguements when you bring in racism or other irrelevant points.

I think it’s fairly obvious that on this forum, a few people on here lean whatever way Levy leans on pretty much any subject. He could change the name of the club ‘ENIC Hotspur’ and a few would say “it’s their club they can do whatever the fudge they like with it” and probably be ok with it. Does make you wonder what their safe word is for how ENIC operate.

In which case I hope you both have an intense dislike for the PL and will be protesting against it soon.

The last team to win it that wasn't financially doped, (rumoured to be) player doped, both, or the biggest global brand in football was the goons in 2004.

Yeah, various ways of winning it. Which category were Liverpool in?

All won on sporting merit.... Emirates Marketing Project have clearly financially doped but there’s nothing to stop them doing that in the ESL anyway.

Didn't realise the uk government has made an agreement with the fa. That any club that joins a superleague, their foreign players will lose their workpermits. That's that then.

Didn't realise the uk government has made an agreement with the fa. That any club that joins a superleague, their foreign players will lose their workpermits. That's that then.

Where did you read/hear that?

It sounds both illegal and counter to FIFA's rules on political involvement in domestic football.

Not that this government are beyond breaking the law in a specific and limited way of course.

Where did you read/hear that?

It sounds both illegal and counter to FIFA's rules on political involvement in domestic football.

Not that this government are beyond breaking the law in a specific and limited way of course.

Tifo vid.

The uk decide who they give workpermits to. After brexit they wont give them to u18 foreign players for example.

Tifo vid.

The uk decide who they give workpermits to. After brexit they wont give them to u18 foreign players for example.

Could be true from a business/economy point of view as the English Premier League is a huge export for the UK.
That said they won't want the Big 5 or whichever clubs shifting their business operations in the Virgin Islands or Asia too so I would expect some negotiations and leeway.

Could be true from a business/economy point of view as the English Premier League is a huge export for the UK.
That said they won't want the Big 5 or whichever clubs shifting their business operations in the Virgin Islands or Asia too so I would expect some negotiations and leeway.

I don't understand what you are talking about?
The work permit rules are already in place.

You think that the big 5 could threaten the govrnment to say they'll move their accounts offshore to avoid paying tax? Lol. You realise the majority of the offshore banking around the world is controlled by the city of london? Caymans, virgin islands, channel islands, even the ex colonies like singapore and hong kong? You think the uae will go against the uk government? To play in a super league? Oh and putin.
The government could just turn round and cancel their event licences.

Ok, I reckon that is illegal, but in this country...

If football did come home, Priti Patel would deport it.

(Stolen from Twitter)

I'm guessing they could say the work permits were given for players to play in certain competitions. Not a super league.

Not a lawyer so don't know. Just sharing.

Back