• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Davinson Sanchez

Good game. I say this as an ardent critic of his - he didn't do much wrong today. Lost his man once or twice, which is par for the course - but otherwise confident and assured, passed it around crisply, used his recovery pace well.

Thought today was one of his best games in our shirt. His performance against City was similarly excellent except for the embarrassment on the third goal.

There is a player in there. A proper player but there are also mistakes in there. If Jose could coach them out of Sanchez, we’d have someone to build a defence around. Sadly, I don’t see it happening at this stage. Encouraging few weeks though.

The kid has talent and always has, still only 24 which is young for a established CB. If we can get another CB in this summer who does not make as many mistakes as our other CBs then he could progress better.

He certainly has a lot more to work with than Dier does IMO.

If we end up with one top class, dominating centre back this summer then it may well be Sanchez that he ends up partnering.

Thought today was one of his best games in our shirt. His performance against City was similarly excellent except for the embarrassment on the third goal.

There is a player in there. A proper player but there are also mistakes in there. If Jose could coach them out of Sanchez, we’d have someone to build a defence around. Sadly, I don’t see it happening at this stage. Encouraging few weeks though.
Unfortunately he doesn’t have a football brain and you can’t coach that. When Ferguson signed Smalling he said he didn’t sign him for his ability but because he had a football brain and was fairly intelligent, he would tell Smalling what he wanted from him and Smalling would just get it and go out and do the job asked.

Sanchez is unfortunately the other way around, he has all the ability but doesn’t have a footballing brain at all.

Unfortunately he doesn’t have a football brain and you can’t coach that. When Ferguson signed Smalling he said he didn’t sign him for his ability but because he had a football brain and was fairly intelligent, he would tell Smalling what he wanted from him and Smalling would just get it and go out and do the job asked.

Sanchez is unfortunately the other way aro
und, he has all the ability but doesn’t have a footballing brain at all.

Goes to show even the greats dont know what they are talking about some of the time.

The kid has talent and always has, still only 24 which is young for a established CB. If we can get another CB in this summer who does not make as many mistakes as our other CBs then he could progress better.

I'm not sure I see this. He's not a brute of a CB who is strong in the air and physical; he's astonishingly weak for such a tall guy. Equally he's crap on the ball. I'm not sure what type of CB you would partner him with such that you have a good pairing. Assuming we don;t sign the next Maldini, what sort of CB would you partner him with?

Not a fan of his but he played well today. Should be Toby and Sanchez until the end of the season as the Dier experiment hasn’t worked. I’d still sell get rid of one of Sanchez or Dier in the summer.

I'm not sure I see this. He's not a brute of a CB who is strong in the air and physical; he's astonishingly weak for such a tall guy. Equally he's crap on the ball. I'm not sure what type of CB you would partner him with such that you have a good pairing. Assuming we don;t sign the next Maldini, what sort of CB would you partner him with?

No he is not a brute as you say but there have been a lot of very good CB who are not brutes Jan for one. Now i am not suggesting for one minute he is the same class but as i say he is still young for a CB and he is nowhere near as bad as s ome try and make out. I have no idea if he will progress here but we all know our CBs are all not the best around.

Dier is a CM, Rodon is a unknown, Toby as much as he was a great CB for us is not the long term answer either. His biggest assest is his pace and he showed to day imo that he has ability as well just needs a regular run with a reliable partner and if that happens we may all be surprised.

What I saw from him today was more aggression (controlled), he wanted to dominate his area (something none of our CBs are great at)

Few errors were still there, but he went for it, wasn't passive and definitely his best game in some time for us

Still think he needs a leader next to him, maybe we only play him with Toby?

No he is not a brute as you say but there have been a lot of very good CB who are not brutes Jan for one. Now i am not suggesting for one minute he is the same class but as i say he is still young for a CB and he is nowhere near as bad as s ome try and make out. I have no idea if he will progress here but we all know our CBs are all not the best around.

Dier is a CM, Rodon is a unknown, Toby as much as he was a great CB for us is not the long term answer either. His biggest assest is his pace and he showed to day imo that he has ability as well just needs a regular run with a reliable partner and if that happens we may all be surprised.

If Dier is a CM, we need to get rid. Our CM options are weak after Hjobjerg and Ndombele but I’d have Winks or Sissoko over Dier in that position all day long. If Dier is not a defender, he’s not for us.

What I saw from him today was more aggression (controlled), he wanted to dominate his area (something none of our CBs are great at)

Few errors were still there, but he went for it, wasn't passive and definitely his best game in some time for us

Still think he needs a leader next to him, maybe we only play him with Toby?
Part of the problem for me is kind of just what you point out. What we saw against Burnley is to me clearly how he wants to play and where he thrives.

That works really well against players that aren't bigger and stronger than him, and against players that aren't quick enough to negate his recovery speed when he needs it.

Then he comes up against players that are stronger, bigger or quicker than him and he seems to play the same way. Whereas the best centre backs adjust with positioning, decision making and being sneaky bastards.

Jeez some grumpy folk on here. Yes Sanchez has been toilet for a while but credit where it's due he was brilliant today, not just competent.

Burnley are a huge aerial threat even with Wood on the bench and Sanchez dealt with everything thrown at him, and they did chuck a fair bit too. He's always liable a rooster up and you panic a lot but deserves the praise today.

Also is it any surprise he turns in his best performance of the season when he's starting with Toby, a competent centre back?

Seriously showcases just how useless Dier is because Toby and Sanchez worked as a pairing. Sticking Dier in there with Sanchez is akin to having the chuckle brothers as your centre back.

Going forward this has to be our CB partnership, or even Rodon, but in no way should Dier be a starting CB

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Jeez some grumpy folk on here. Yes Sanchez has been toilet for a while but credit where it's due he was brilliant today, not just competent.

Burnley are a huge aerial threat even with Wood on the bench and Sanchez dealt with everything thrown at him, and they did chuck a fair bit too. He's always liable a rooster up and you panic a lot but deserves the praise today.

Also is it any surprise he turns in his best performance of the season when he's starting with Toby, a competent centre back?

Seriously showcases just how useless Dier is because Toby and Sanchez worked as a pairing. Sticking Dier in there with Sanchez is akin to having the chuckle brothers as your centre back.

Going forward this has to be our CB partnership, or even Rodon, but in no way should Dier be a starting CB

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app
Credit where credit is due, but performances like this one have been part of the pattern with him for a long time. Call it inconsistency or call it only excelling in certain conditions.

If he starts showing signs of consistency and dealing well with various game conditions I'll start singing his praise for real.

The thing is that Jan was great on the ball so whilst he wasnt big, with the right people around him it worked well. Agreed you dont need to be a brute to make it as CB. Even if Sanchez develops well, I dont see what sort of CB you partner him with given he's physically weak and has no ability with the ball

Credit where credit is due, but performances like this one have been part of the pattern with him for a long time. Call it inconsistency or call it only excelling in certain conditions.

If he starts showing signs of consistency and dealing well with various game conditions I'll start singing his praise for real.

Don't disagree, but Jose needs to own a massive part of that, this season he's had Sanchez, Dier, Toby, Rodon, Davies all start at CB in the League. To form a partnership they need consistency, and for me Dier is not the other part of that equation in any way.

Don't disagree, but Jose needs to own a massive part of that, this season he's had Sanchez, Dier, Toby, Rodon, Davies all start at CB in the League. To form a partnership they need consistency, and for me Dier is not the other part of that equation in any way.
And we have changed full backs a lot too

Back