1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Please read this post: https://www.glory-glory.co.uk/community/threads/fund-raising-for-jeremy-yermiyahu.10542/
    Dismiss Notice

Daniel Levy - Chairman

Discussion in 'Spurs News & Views' started by Howard Webb, 8 Feb 2012.

1. billyiddo

billyiddo David Ginola Staff Member

@Dubai you should know full well that comparing to clubs abroad in leagues where there are only 1 or 2 established giantsis not an even comparison, much easier to take that final step in Germany when there is only Bayern to contend with or in France where there is PSG, in fact PSG weren't even a concern when Lyon were around, there was no established elite in France. In England there was an established 4 and then City to contend with - that's a level of competition that no club of our level on the continent has had to contend with. Take away 3-4 of the teams above us or dramatically strip back their financial power and then you might begin to have a fair point with your list if teams from abroad, but if you do that consider what we may have achieved over the last 10 years +without so many hurdles to overcome...

To see where Spurs have grown during the Enic years you need to look at Everton, Villa, Leeds and Newcastle as your comparison points, because they were/are our peers in terms of size/stature - if you still maintain that it is only just competent ownership that puts us where we are in relation to them then i don't think you're arguing in good faith as it's quite clear that all others who tried to do what we do failed.

Last edited: 13 Apr 2020
  2. StephenH

StephenH Barry Daines

He's getting a concerted kicking in 'the fail' today!

3. spasm

spasm Gudni Bergsson

some of you should be tied up in a chair and made to watch ramon vega defend on a loop...

4. Bedfordspurs

Bedfordspurs George Hunt

Sorry but your using examples of one horse leagues here so it’s really not the same...
    may as well use a chairman who has taken over a team in the US Soccer League while your at it

PSG have shown how easy it is to fix a one horse league... they didn’t even have to do much

atletico is the most pertinent example there though for me as under Poch we had a similar mantra (play my way), were building a new stadium (there one really is poor though having went there for the CL final), and we’re trying to play catch up
    A Difference though was additional investment that they had from China to give them a bump up. Their not a self sufficient side are they? I know they were going bust a weak times including 2011

5. Baleforce

Baleforce Mel Hopkins

I was very fond of him.

6. glasgowspur

glasgowspur Frederic Kanoute

In my opinion there is a fear of on field success that runs through the club.
    It comes in many forms and in DLs case it is about spending a lot of money with no guarantee of success.
    As long as we can maintain top 5 with good cup runs with CL qualifications every other year and have balanced books DL will be happy. His fear I imagine is that a dose of success goes to people's head, and as expensive as it is to win trophies, it's even more expensive to keep winning trophies.

All purely my opinion and tbh I have no real beef with that.

Bedfordspurs likes this.
  7. Parklaner81

Parklaner81 Steve Hodge

Me too. I used to think his name sounded so cool and exotic...

...I should add that the fascination wore off pretty quickly after seeing him play.

spasm likes this.
  8. Baleforce

Baleforce Mel Hopkins

Between the incompetence were periods of decent form, he was equally as dangerous in the opponents box.

9. Parklaner81

Parklaner81 Steve Hodge

Going off at a tangent, weren't about two-thirds of our squad permanently injured during that era...?

10. Baleforce

Baleforce Mel Hopkins

I can’t remember a time when that wasn’t the case, although there have been plenty of periods when two-thirds of the squad have equated to the one good player.

Grays_1890 likes this.
  11. Parklaner81

Parklaner81 Steve Hodge

I seem to remember it suddenly becoming 'a thing' in the early-mid 90's. Prior to that time we had smaller squads, and might have one or two players injured at a time, but would fairly often be at full strength. Then squads ballooned in size, and suddenly everyone was injured all the time. Sheringham and Anderton were trailblazers for the trend as I recall, and the former's almost season-long injury in 93/94 was so painful for me at the time as an enthusiastic relative youngster...

12. Baleforce

Baleforce Mel Hopkins

I think before that players were still injured but also constantly hungover so didn’t realise.

Parklaner81 likes this.
  13. spitshine

spitshine Ramon Vega

We hold the players here in very high regard here something that is not universally acknowledged across the world.

14. NickTB

NickTB Steve Hodge

Furlough decision reversed

15. Spur of the moment

Spur of the moment Pat van den Hauwe

I'd agree the comparison with Bournemouth is a much fairer one. It was at best unfortunate and at worst ridiculous to compare us with Cheatlski.

If Abramovitch was able to command loyalty it was because he had the wherewithal in the first place to cheat his way to instant success. He got in before FFP pulled up the drawbridge. That's the reason I scorn any comparison with that brickhole.

Hootnow and Baleforce like this.
  16. Bedfordspurs

Bedfordspurs George Hunt

Yep
    Wonder if their is some kind of agreement going on with the players behind the scenes
    Just directors taking pay cuts

17. scaramanga

scaramanga Teddy Sheringham Staff Member

Must be the players too - directors couldn't cover everyone else's wages for long.

18. Glenda's Legs

Glenda's Legs Pat van den Hauwe

Right decision to ensure staff have 400%.
    Wrong decision (imo) to back out of using the government furlough scheme.

Bullet and Bedfordspurs like this.
  19. Hootnow

Hootnow Jermaine Jenas

Again, I have no issue with our owner being well supported. I also support them a lot and, in any discussions outside of this board, am often the most vociferous supporter of Levy.

The original point is the absolute unconditional support.

As I've said before, a huge amount of that on field progress has come under one manager. So I'll hold off full judgement on us 'joining the elite' until we're consistently there under multiple managers. I hope beyond hope that this happens.

I'm also not quite as interested as others in having a 'benchmark' stadium and, while I was excited about it, found the obsessing over biggest TV screens and number of LED lights and all of this kind of stuff during the build incredibly strange. As if I care how big the TV screens are or what types of bulbs they're using.

*Can I say before I get lynched that I completely agree with the Everton/ Newcastle etc points and it is a point I've made many times before too.

Finney Is Back and MKSpur like this.
  20. Hootnow

Hootnow Jermaine Jenas

Will be some interesting mental gymnastics now I imagine. :D

Right decision (and right decision to point out that it will remain under review based on changing circumstances).

DubaiSpur, Finney Is Back and NickTB like this.