• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Coronavirus

It has to. Even if it means the rest of the world closing off China.

We're not all workshy union members.

A lot of people have now realised they can work from home. A lot of businesses have realised they can save themselves a lot of money by not renting office space. Johnson’s plans to get city centres back to how they were in March aren’t going to work.

There are also going to be multiple local lockdowns in the months (years?) ahead. People aren’t flocking to go out to pubs and restaurants, or to go abroad, in the way the government imagined - although it was pretty obvious to anyone sensible that would be the case. Mindsets have changed.

So the world isn’t going to be ‘back to normal’ by Christmas. It’s probably going to operate in a different way for a very long time, if not from here on.

A lot of people have now realised they can work from home. A lot of businesses have realised they can save themselves a lot of money by not renting office space. Johnson’s plans to get city centres back to how they were in March aren’t going to work.

There are also going to be multiple local lockdowns in the months (years?) ahead. People aren’t flocking to go out to pubs and restaurants, or to go abroad, in the way the government imagined - although it was pretty obvious to anyone sensible that would be the case. Mindsets have changed.

So the world isn’t going to be ‘back to normal’ by Christmas. It’s probably going to operate in a different way for a very long time, if not from here on.
Pretty up all of what you've just said relies on huge assumptions that you are not able to back up.

Those that refused to return to work for me are now on unpaid leave, they'll either have to return or quit soon. I'm sure many employers feel the same way.

So I'm guessing Johnson & co. are regretting the decision to extend furlough out to October now. Seemed a strange one at the time (and was entirely unexpected IIRC), but it's clearly at odds with their current outlook. Trying to buy popularity never ends well it seems...

Pretty up all of what you've just said relies on huge assumptions that you are not able to back up.

Those that refused to return to work for me are now on unpaid leave, they'll either have to return or quit soon. I'm sure many employers feel the same way.

yep. My company made redundancies and I’m sure it’s just coincidence those that refused to come back all went.

Companies are bored with excuses now, they have given every support - come in to office/WFH/Take holiday - but you have to come back.

yep. My company made redundancies and I’m sure it’s just coincidence those that refused to come back all went.

Companies are bored with excuses now, they have given every support - come in to office/WFH/Take holiday - but you have to come back.
It takes all sorts but unfortunately (more than ever) there are plenty on furlough that have had their lazy, freeloading, money for nothing underbelly tickled and they will eek out the benefits on steroids for as long as they can. The problem is, it's more like meth for them and they have some bizarre pipe dream :))) that everyday should now be like this.:rolleyes:

It takes all sorts but unfortunately (more than ever) there are plenty on furlough that have had their lazy, freeloading, money for nothing underbelly tickled and they will eek out the benefits on steroids for as long as they can. The problem is, it's more like meth for them and they have some bizarre pipe dream :))) that everyday should now be like this.:rolleyes:

I'm sure there are people like that but I know a fair few who have been on furlough and the general attitude is it was good while it lasted but glad to have a job to go back to.

I think you misunderstand my original point. No one is saying people won’t return to work; but the way plenty work has already changed. And there is plenty of emerging evidence (relatively empty city centres, businesses not renewing leases on office space) that models of business will change as a result of this pandemic. I know a number of people who already know that they will work from home from now on.

Bosses are not going to order productive home workforces back to the office to save Pret A Manger (despite the government’s increasing desperation) - not when they can save themselves thousands each year on the rental of office space.

It can be a good thing. Local high streets will probably see a bit of an upturn (eventually, although certainly not by Christmas). To save themselves, service industries will have to adapt to meet the demands of many more people working from home.

Last edited:
I think you misunderstand my original point. No one is saying people won’t return to work; but the way plenty work has already changed. And there is plenty of emerging evidence (relatively empty city centres, businesses not renewing leases on office space) that models of business will change as a result of this pandemic. I know a number of people who already know that they will work from home from now on.

Bosses are not going to order productive home workforces back to the office to save Pret A Manger (despite the government’s increasing desperation) - not when they can save themselves thousands each year on the rental of office space.

It can be a good thing. Local high streets will probably see a bit of an upturn (eventually, although certainly not by Christmas). To save themselves, service industries will have to adapt to meet the demands of many more people working from home.
I don't know of a single senior level director (and I talk regularly with quite a few) who thinks that employees are nearly as efficient from home as from the office. This works to get through a fix when there's no alternative, but that's not the same as being effective in the longer term.

Maybe if we moved to a 50-60 hour working week without changing pay there might be some mileage in it.

Back