• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Coronavirus

If this whole thing were something I gave much of a fudge about then I probably would.

As it is, I find this whole Coronavirus nonsense about as politically important as what colour shoes the latest Made in Essex clam is wearing today.

You sure spend a lot of time in this thread, mouthing off like a tory boomer, for someone who isn’t interested in the subject.

You sure spend a lot of time in this thread, mouthing off like a tory boomer, for someone who isn’t interested in the subject.
I'm interested in the subject, just not as a political point. I want the country to move on from it and get on with their lives.

I'm interested in the subject, just not as a political point. I want the country to move on from it and get on with their lives.

Given it’s this particular set of useless politicians in charge of the moving on process, and they seem as incapable as any government in the world right now, in managing this pandemic, I’d say good luck with that.

Britain’s right voted for these buffoons as they did to Brexit. The mess that’s going to dictate the next decade rests purely at their feet. Enjoy!

I agree with the idea that false fury is the new norm and although there are some compassionate people in the world the media and the negatives shout loudest.

The CV guidelines are what they are but can have common sense applied. People will pull them apart for the sake of an argument but if Cummings was looking at his children’s welfare and it’s genuine and his parents agreed which rests into personal responsibility then the fury doesn’t in my mind match the crime.

It will only run on and on because as I say the compassionate gain no airtime and the people baying for jobs will. That’s society now, judge and ask for people to lose their jobs, pretty sad example of life.

I also think any genuinely fair-minded person would recognise the distinction between actions taken to try to mitigate the effects of a parent's infection with the virus, and tinkling off for a weekend jolly or having your bit on the side round. The former may or may not have been against the rules, but even if it were there's clearly a level of mitigation to it. The latter examples display open contempt for the guidelines and the general population.

The fact that people are (predictably) trying to lump them all together as the same only exposes what you say about the culture we live in.

Last edited:
I don't care who you are, you shouldn't break rules you created.
He should resign, end of
Clam

Calderwood and Ferguson were part of the public face of the advice and they violated the policies they advocated. They resigned because this undermined their integrity. Cummings is a special political advisor.

Calderwood and Ferguson were part of the public face of the advice and they violated the policies they advocated. They resigned because this undermined their integrity. Cummings is a special political advisor.

special political advisor to a man who can’t brush his own hair, Cummings has more power and influence in this government than the rest of them put together, which is why he’ll survive this, the cabinet are terrified of having to think for themselves

special political advisor to a man who can’t brush his own hair, Cummings has more power and influence in this government than the rest of them put together, which is why he’ll survive this, the cabinet are terrified of having to think for themselves
Whether he is there officially or not he'll still be calling the shots, I suspect.

Given it’s this particular set of useless politicians in charge of the moving on process, and they seem as incapable as any government in the world right now, in managing this pandemic, I’d say good luck with that.

Britain’s right voted for these buffoons as they did to Brexit. The mess that’s going to dictate the next decade rests purely at their feet. Enjoy!
Get it right, get it wrong, meh.

The getting it right that matters is the economy - they got it wrong but all of them would have. There isn't currently an option for an economically literate party in this country.

I have listened to loads of the daily briefings. Not all but I would say a very good majority of them and whilst I’ve heard the “stay home” mantra over and over, I have never heard any mention of “but you can apply common sense instead if necessary” being voiced. And I think the only references I have heard to “safeguarding” (as used in today’s briefing as justification) have been in reference to children being in an at risk situation due to eg domestic abuse.

But, if what Cummings did was within the rules, or was a valid exemption to the rules, then obviously that is OK. However, that rule/exemption shouldn’t come as a surprise to the general public after so many weeks of lockdown. I’d imagine any number of households would have genuinely benefitted from that clarification of the rules had it been more widely known.

In my opinion, Cummings winged it and now that he is being bought to task over it the establishment is closing ranks and at best “stretching” the rules to fit his actions.

I posted earlier that the press should keep on the case and that I wouldn’t be surprised if something else came out to distract from the Cummings story. I have changed my mind. I think the Cummings story IS the distraction. It took up every single question at today’s briefing and I suspect tomorrow will be similar. It’s right that Cummings’ actions should be questioned but not to the exclusion of other topics of questioning, such as the information I heard on the radio news this morning that the government had actually gone against the scientific modelling in their approach to re opening schools, or such as continuing the interrogation on track and trace plans, or testing etc. Instead the Cummings story has distracted from the really important stuff, and I’m certainly guilty of being side tracked by it.

Of course there is an element of common sense to it. The guidelines don’t mention every outcome but they do mention “in the cases you can’t “ etc.

With this there is an obvious level of common sense involved but people use their lack of it to attack Cummins or act like the rules are not clear.

That’s ok that up to them people.

Regardless there is a huge culture of “sack em” which for me is a sad fact of this country and our curtain twitching nature. At the very least going to your parents because of fear of childcare and then agreeing is not sackable and it does enter fake fury for me.

And there was me thinking the job of government was to govern. But no, it’s apparently to rile the population.

At least they are effective in something, I suppose.

That is all the whole of politics do, the opposition rarely offer a slither of input rather they rile up tension in already tense situations. Goes back to my post weeks ago that the public in some parts are seeking new politics not the old version of point scoring.

You would be foaming at the mouth if Corbyn did what Cummings did. When it comes to the right, just turn a blind eye. Too funny, your reaction was predicted by me a few pages back. Hypocrisy thy name is Tory. With all due apologies to the Bard.

Wouldn’t bother me like when I defended the bird from the SNP and I hate the SNP so unless my wish for seeing in the future was granted and I used her issue as a pre method to defend Cummings then you are wrong.

Corbyn was up for being slaughtered for a lot worse and that’s from a Labour supporter and he paid his price so it irrelevant.

There is just a nature in this country where the negative lot get more veneer than compassion and it sells to the press, it’s sad but it’s true. “Sack em sack em” is the UKs response to everything sadly.

I prefer to treat people the same and I haven’t heard of many people being sacked for not following guidelines, even drunk footballers who broke the rules managed to avoid the sack.

I doubt the police and public were ensuring the sack for the weekend beach dwellers, so why Cummings? Because he is in government? So what I don’t buy that “because he is the example” that’s not in his contract that’s not in others, we all create the example, it’s just lazy.

Draw a line under it an move on, nothing else happens other than initial hot air and fake fury. That only lasts so long.

Get it right, get it wrong, meh.

The getting it right that matters is the economy - they got it wrong but all of them would have. There isn't currently an option for an economically literate party in this country.

Dominic Lawson makes an interesting point in the Sunday Times. Businesses were shutting down before the lockdown. The government was following what businesses, schools and sports organisations were already doing. And Sweden's light lockdown isn't saving it from the economic harm of people reacting to the virus.

The economy’s dire, but don’t blame lockdown

Most if not all Tory backbenchers want Cummings gone including the top man in the ERG Steve Baker.

Cummings currently inside no10 for a meeting, if he survives I'll be shocked.

Most if not all Tory backbenchers want Cummings gone including the top man in the ERG Steve Baker.

Cummings currently inside no10 for a meeting, if he survives I'll be shocked.

If he’d been sacked it wouldn’t take so long, they are having a boozy lunch, he’ll come out looking sheepish in a few hours pretending he had a gonad*ing.

Back