• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Benjamin Stambouli - Sold to PSG

I thought he looked decent, not going to be the best player we've ever seen but young, reasonably dependable and would only get better with experience and probably on low ish wages. Worth keeping as a squad option I would have thought.

We do need a squad, but this was a position that seemed covered. So this was neutral financially. You can argue that this way we get a look at a player who could turn out to be a great fit and if not lose nothing. There are, however, potential downsides with this sort of signing. Such a player could block a youth prospect from getting an opportunity. It didn't in this case, but was this luck (if he'd been a bit less "crud" he would have played more), foresight by the manager, or a bit of both?

Said it before, we can expect there will be a few more of these type of signings, right price/level/potential upside.

If they hit the ground running, great, if not, we shift very quickly for a neutral cost or even slight profit.

Saw a few comments about keeping as a squad player, in my opinion keeping him as a squad player makes it harder for us to either give a youth prospect a chance, or make another similar investment (and see if that works out.)

I don't think we can fully bestow the genius tag on him until he gets rid of Ade, especially if he either gets a fee for him as a transfer or all £100k wages off the books in a years loan.

THEN the man can have a place in our Hall of Fame.
Tottenham-chairman-Daniel-014.jpg

Yet another player gone who I hadn't seen anywhere near enough to have an opinion on. Wasn't till I saw he's been sold that I remembered what he looked like.

Good luck.. I guess...

I would be surprised if anyone thought he did anything of note in his (not unsubstantial) amount of games. Staying would have been blocking Alli and Carroll who I would rather see being given a chance. Would be surprised if the number of games he plays for PSG cannot be counted by the fingers of two hands.

Onwards and upwards - let's get a real CM who fits in our system now!

Said it before, we can expect there will be a few more of these type of signings, right price/level/potential upside.

If they hit the ground running, great, if not, we shift very quickly for a neutral cost or even slight profit.

Saw a few comments about keeping as a squad player, in my opinion keeping him as a squad player makes it harder for us to either give a youth prospect a chance, or make another similar investment (and see if that works out.)

What if the manager has no intention of playing or trusting these 'right price/level/potential upside' (i.e, dirt cheap with some sell-on value) players? Because I think that's what Poch is doing, and I'm bloody glad that he's putting his foot down: playing youngsters above and beyond what is the norm for a club our size is already conceding enough to our self-imposed austerity (imo), and there is no need for him to also play the dirt cheap 'value' players gleefully thrown at him by Levy to cover up for his abject failure to spend on the ones Poch actually wants.

I'm actually a bit reassured by Stambo's quick exit, and I hope that any more of these dirt-cheap 'right price/level/potential upside' players that are sent to an unwilling Poch in the future are also similarly disposed of. Maybe that'll get into the skulls of our higher-ups.

What if the manager has no intention of playing or trusting these 'right price/level/potential upside' (i.e, dirt cheap with some sell-on value) players? Because I think that's what Poch is doing, and I'm bloody glad that he's putting his foot down: playing youngsters above and beyond what is the norm for a club our size is already conceding enough to our self-imposed austerity (imo), and there is no need for him to also play the dirt cheap 'value' players gleefully thrown at him by Levy to cover up for his abject failure to spend on the ones Poch actually wants.

I'm actually a bit reassured by Stambo's quick exit, and I hope that any more of these dirt-cheap 'right price/level/potential upside' players that are sent to an unwilling Poch in the future are also similarly disposed of. Maybe that'll get into the skulls of our higher-ups.

There are loads of different explanations for Stambouli's short stay with us. I can understand why the one that is closest to your view point appeals but there isn't really any more evidence to support it than any of the others. In fact on the contrary, there have been several reports of a good working relationship between Poch and Levy.

There are loads of different explanations for Stambouli's short stay with us. I can understand why the one that is closest to your view point appeals but there isn't really any more evidence to support it than any of the others. In fact on the contrary, there have been several reports of a good working relationship between Poch and Levy.

As you say there could be a number of reasons, but you know DS like to play the same old record about his love for Levy and for kicking his dog/cat.

It's all opinions, but that's not how I read it.

Poch & team pick potential players that could work, we get them in, either via training or game time we make a quick keep or don't keep, decision quick.

The problem is not the "dirt-cheap 'right price/level/potential" concept. Just look at Southamption: Mane, Pelle, Wanyama, Tadic all fit into this category; so do half a dozen French players at Saudi Sportswashing Machine including Cabaye, Sissoko etc. The issue is that we have not been good enough in the past to identify these types of players thanks to a crud scouting networking!

The problem is not the "dirt-cheap 'right price/level/potential" concept. Just look at Southamption: Mane, Pelle, Wanyama, Tadic all fit into this category; so do half a dozen French players at Saudi Sportswashing Machine including Cabaye, Sissoko etc. The issue is that we have not been good enough in the past to identify these types of players thanks to a crud scouting networking!

I think this is pretty accurate in so much as Poch did not have a scouting network on the same page as him last season, whereas now he has.

I think this is pretty accurate in so much as Poch did not have a scouting network on the same page as him last season, whereas now he has.

I will wait a few more weeks before making a judgement... Our signings since last January have all been playing in England and it did not take a genius to identify the utility of Trippier, Toby and Alli.

I will agree with you when we find our own Tadic's, Sissoko's and Cabaye's....

As you say there could be a number of reasons, but you know DS like to play the same old record about his love for Levy and for kicking his dog/cat.

Hey, I called Stambo a rock-bottom bargain bin substitute for Schneiderlin the same day he arrived, and have persisted in that opinion against a storm of contrary opinions from the likes of braine and bill, who found it inconceivable that Poch might not have wanted the guy. Today, he left, after a year spent kicking his heels on the bench and outside the matchday eighteen, having had nary a chance to show what he could have done (and he did look somewhat composed and skillful the few times he did play).

Suffice it to say, my interpretation of these events seems in light of all that to be (at least to me) far more likely than the other somewhat spuious ones that have been put forward. Still, you're probably right. :p

It's all opinions, but that's not how I read it.

Poch & team pick potential players that could work, we get them in, either via training or game time we make a quick keep or don't keep, decision quick.

Poch picks Schneiderlin, Levy gives him Stambouli. Poch is displeased by this absurd turn of events, and barely plays Stambouli, who then leaves having been underutilized throughout his short career at Spurs. To me, that's more than just a gamble that didn't work out: it seems like a desire for quality was met instead by a cheap gamble that Poch himself didn't want to make. In light of that fact, I cannot see Poch happily acquiescing to more Stamboulis, unless it is made explicitly clear to Levy that such players are a) entirely his choice, and b) not signed as cheap replacements for better, more expensive targets.

Wanyama came in at 13 million pounds, a price which Levy would hiss at given that he came from Celtic. And yet, that's what he cost, and look how good he's become. A 'crud' scouting network isn't the issue when that sort of roadblock exists at the club.

Hopefully. Like I said, I'm confident that Poch now has people at the club who are firmly aware of exactly what he wants, and that any player Poch doesn't want (Raziel's suggested future 'value' buys) will be roughly shoved out the door, and to hell with Levy's bellyaches over resale value. Whether Levy reconciles himself to that is a open question: however, I'm hopeful he will.

Every manager will try to pass the blame for poor signings or lack of success onto the chairman and/or DoF after they are sacked, it is how they cleanse their reputation before getting another job.

Even if Stambouli was only signed as squad filler with a view to turning a profit, I do not think that this necessarily points to differences between Poch and Levy.

Hey, I called Stambo a rock-bottom bargain bin substitute for Schneiderlin the same day he arrived, and have persisted in that opinion against a storm of contrary opinions from the likes of braine and bill, who found it inconceivable that Poch might not have wanted the guy. Today, he left, after a year spent kicking his heels on the bench and outside the matchday eighteen, having had nary a chance to show what he could have done (and he did look somewhat composed and skillful the few times he did play).

Suffice it to say, my interpretation of these events seems in light of all that to be (at least to me) far more likely than the other somewhat spuious ones that have been put forward. Still, you're probably right. :p

Poch picks Schneiderlin, Levy gives him Stambouli. Poch is displeased by this absurd turn of events, and barely plays Stambouli, who then leaves having been underutilized throughout his short career at Spurs. To me, that's more than just a gamble that didn't work out: it seems like a desire for quality was met instead by a cheap gamble that Poch himself didn't want to make. In light of that fact, I cannot see Poch happily acquiescing to more Stamboulis, unless it is made explicitly clear to Levy that such players are a) entirely his choice, and b) not signed as cheap replacements for better, more expensive targets.

Wanyama came in at 13 million pounds, a price which Levy would hiss at given that he came from Celtic. And yet, that's what he cost, and look how good he's become. A 'crud' scouting network isn't the issue when that sort of roadblock exists at the club.

Hopefully. Like I said, I'm confident that Poch now has people at the club who are firmly aware of exactly what he wants, and that any player Poch doesn't want (Raziel's suggested future 'value' buys) will be roughly shoved out the door, and to hell with Levy's bellyaches over resale value. Whether Levy reconciles himself to that is a open question: however, I'm hopeful he will.

No one is accusing you of being inconsistent in your criticism ;)

Isn't it just as likely though that we couldn't get Schneiderlin so Poch decided to use Mason after his good pre-season performances? Stambouli could have been a speculative purchase who provided cover and could be sold on at a profit.

Good luck to the lad. I will actually watch his progress at PSG as I think he did have something positive about him.

No one is accusing you of being inconsistent in your criticism ;)

Isn't it just as likely though that we couldn't get Schneiderlin so Poch decided to use Mason after his good pre-season performances? Stambouli could have been a speculative purchase who provided cover and could be sold on at a profit.

It's less likely, given the circumstances behind Poch's usage of Mason (he waited until the first NLD in late September/early October to use him), the different roles Schneiderlin and Mason play in their respective systems (Schneiderlin shields, Mason absolutely doesn't: accordingly, Mason provides an attacking impetus that Schneiderlin doesn't) and continued sidelining of Stambouli even after his decent displays in January when Bentaleb was away at the AFCON (which indicates a possibly deeper reason behind Stambouli's immediate and continuous sidelining).

It's not impossible, which is why I acknowledged that you may have been right about there being different interpretations of these events: however, in my eyes, the interpretation I put forward is the most likely one, as it fits the facts better than any other one I could think of.

It's less likely, given the circumstances behind Poch's usage of Mason (he waited until the first NLD in late September/early October to use him), the different roles Schneiderlin and Mason play in their respective systems (Schneiderlin shields, Mason absolutely doesn't: accordingly, Mason provides an attacking impetus that Schneiderlin doesn't) and continued sidelining of Stambouli even after his decent displays in January when Bentaleb was away at the AFCON (which indicates a possibly deeper reason behind Stambouli's immediate and continuous sidelining).

It's not impossible, which is why I acknowledged that you may have been right about there being different interpretations of these events: however, in my eyes, the interpretation I put forward is the most likely one, as it fits the facts better than any other one I could think of.

Mason was injured at the beginning of the season

but he really is not that slow......i think somehow the game you are referring to has stuck in peoples memories and its unfair because that player who left him for dust actually had electric pace and would have made a fool out of many players with his speed.

It stuck in people's minds because he didn't even break a sweat to get back.

Back