• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

3rd Place or FA Cup?

3rd Place or FA Cup

• Finishing in 3rd Place

Votes: 32 36.8%
  • Winning the FA Cup

Votes: 55 63.2%

• Total voters
In recent years the FA Cup has definitely lost much of its magic whilst nowadays the CL has all the glam, so I voted Third.

A little bit of trivia that may or may not signify. For sure it's nothing like on a par with the year ending in one (although even that noble tradition seems to have bitten the dust in recent times), but when it comes to 3rd plus a Cup we do have a bit of form, viz 1962 (3rd plus FA Cup), 1967 (3rd plus FA Cup), 1971 (3rd plus League Cup).

And in 1982 we managed 4th plus the FA Cup. Thirty years on that would do nicely thank you very much.

Didnt we also manage a League Cup Final and Cup Winners Cup Semi-final that season too. IIRC we just ran out of steam that season. Think I saw an interview with Steve Perryman, remembering him saying the guys were almost running on empty in that Cup Final replay v QPR

I'd love us to win the cup but I just don't feel out name is written on the trophy this year . We've been unimpressive this year in all FA cup games. If we went out it would feel like we just bumbled out whether this round the quarters or the semi.

Third feels deserved this year and I really really want to finish above arsenal . And if they don't get 4th Van Persie might go and then we will see a bigger shift.

So third feels more like our story this year.

I'm sorry but FA Cup should be the answer to the question.

A trophy is a trophy at the end of the day. Where have Arsenal got over the past 7 years? They have been trophyless and boy have we and every one else let them know. No one says "oh but youre in the Champions League so it's okay".. We have gone way too long without winning the cup, a team like Tottenham who almost define the trophy itself. I mean we had an unbelievable chance a few years back, I actually think this is an even bigger one with United, Arsenal, Emirates Marketing Project out and Chelsea having to go to a tricky Birmingham City midweek..

A trophy is a trophy at the end of the day. Where have Arsenal got over the past 7 years? They have been trophyless and boy have we and every one else let them know. No one says "oh but youre in the Champions League so it's okay".. We have gone way too long without winning the cup, a team like Tottenham who almost define the trophy itself. I mean we had an unbelievable chance a few years back, I actually think this is an even bigger one with United, Arsenal, Emirates Marketing Project out and Chelsea having to go to a tricky Birmingham City midweek..

I disagree. 3rd is something we can build on. The FA Cup isn't. If Arsenal finished 3rd and we finished 4th then which North London club will any player want to go to? Arsenal, obviously. If we finished 3rd this season then we'd be able to make strong signings this Summer and come back for the FA Cup next season

As much as it would hurt to finish below the scum this season after all the mouth from their players this season, it wouldn't mean much as we would have a trophy and they would really look small time if they actually gloated purely because they finished above us whilst they won fudge all AGAIN and we have a nice trophy parade to look forward to. Having said that, I'd be fudging delighted if we finish above them ****s even if we don't win the FA Cup, just not as happy as I would be for winning the cup.

3rd. CL football means we can make more quality signings, such as Steven Pienaar and Bongani Khumalo.

3rd isn't something we can build on.

barring joe lewis opening the purse strings and getting mourinho is the highest we can ever realistically finish under the current circumstances.

a club like us needs to win things when we get the opportunity. you dunno how much longer this group of players will stay together. long odds against bale and modric are still spurs players in 2 years time i would stay. inevitably they will want to play for biggest clubs in europe and at best we're in the 2nd tier below the real giants.

so 4th and the definitely. couldn't give a stuff what idiot filth fans might say. what crediblity could they have having a pop us at us for winning something when everyone just laughs at them for winning nothing season in season out.

Depends where we would finish if we won the cup. FA Cup and 7th, no way, FA Cup and 4th yes.

But finishing 4th with The Scum 3rd would also be a something to consider. I think I'll vote 3rd.

3rd isn't something we can build on.

barring joe lewis opening the purse strings and getting mourinho is the highest we can ever realistically finish under the current circumstances.

a club like us needs to win things when we get the opportunity. you dunno how much longer this group of players will stay together. long odds against bale and modric are still spurs players in 2 years time i would stay. inevitably they will want to play for biggest clubs in europe and at best we're in the 2nd tier below the real giants.

so 4th and the definitely. couldn't give a stuff what idiot filth fans might say. what crediblity could they have having a pop us at us for winning something when everyone just laughs at them for winning nothing season in season out.

Summarized my views perfectly. We don't just play in the FA Cup, we are the FA Cup. It's vital we win as much as we can before this group of players moves on and have to be replaced. FA Cup win means Community Shield next year, and that's another gong to win. We should try for the Carling Cup as well, one of these seasons. As long as we finish fourth, wining cups will always take priority. If fourth was in jeopardy though....

If it's a choice between 3rd and no cup, or 4th and FA Cup, I'd go with the latter. It's been far too long since we've won the FA Cup!

If you changed it to 3rd and no cup, or 5th and FA Cup however.... sadly I'd probably go for the league placing, which is a sad indication of the way modern football has gone :(

When I first started supporting Spurs in 1993 I'd have taken 6th and a cup over just 3rd in the league. The four CL spots and the money they bring might be exciting when you achieve one of them, but overall I think they've been a detriment to the game.

Regular CL football is a target for us, but not for them. Id like to finish 3rd as Londons top club, and not have to think about qualifying for the CL.

4th or below, even with the FA Cup, will still have the air of massive capitulation about it.

Quick note on 4th place

I hope all those slating the EL are aware of the fact our UEFA coeffiecient now might have dropped considerably in order for us to be unseeded in the playoff round and face the real possibility of being knocked out by a tough team

3rd should be an aboslute must if the cup is not an option

Definitely third for me. It seems some people almost look down on anyone who places more importance on league position, but for me the FA Cup just isn't that important. Yes it's a trophy, but that justification is a bit simplistic; to get to the semi-finals this year we will have had to have beaten Cheltenham, Watford, Stevenage and Bolton - not exactly a glorious achievement. Finishing third over the course of 38 matches, above Arsenal and Chelsea, is a far more impressive achievement in my eyes.

Definitely third for me. It seems some people almost look down on anyone who places more importance on league position, but for me the FA Cup just isn't that important. Yes it's a trophy, but that justification is a bit simplistic; to get to the semi-finals this year we will have had to have beaten Cheltenham, Watford, Stevenage and Bolton - not exactly a glorious achievement. Finishing third over the course of 38 matches, above Arsenal and Chelsea, is a far more impressive achievement in my eyes.

I appreciate what you're saying, but not once I have seen its say on a honours board:-
FA Cup Winners 2010/11 (But we only beat X, Y and Z on the way to the Final). Its well-documented the draws Chelsea have in recent seasons, but I doubt it bothers them who they have played the numerous times they have won the Cup

I dont know many people that can name you the teams that finish 3rd in 2005,2006,etc; but I might they are more likely to remember who won the FA Cup

Back